Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Concealed Choices >

Concealed Choices

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Concealed Choices

Old 10-24-2008, 11:51 AM

Default Concealed Choices

I'm looking to buy my first concealed pistol. I've narrowed it down to the Kahr slim frame pistol but am not sure which caliber. I'm looking at .40 or .45. Any suggestions on which i should go with, i'm a big guy with big hands and the .45 seems to feel very good in my hand, would this be a good choice or is .45 too much for concealed purposes? Thanks!
Old 10-24-2008, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Concealed Choices

As long as you can shoot it accurately it is fine. I don't think a .45 is too big, however I carry a Glock 27 in .40 S&W. The main reason is my duty weapon is a .40 S&W so the ammunition is free. As for concealing the pistol itself you just have to dress properly, have a quality holster and belt.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:01 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: bigdawgwill44

I'm looking to buy my first concealed pistol. I've narrowed it down to the Kahr slim frame pistol but am not sure which caliber. I'm looking at .40 or .45. Any suggestions on which i should go with, i'm a big guy with big hands and the .45 seems to feel very good in my hand, would this be a good choice or is .45 too much for concealed purposes? Thanks!
I'd shoot it 1st. That much power in a Kahr can be a handfull (pun intended).

At CCW class, there was a guy trying to shoot a S&W snubbie in .357 Mag. After 4 rounds, he asked the instructor if he could start over with another weapon: too much power in too small a package.

It may turn out to be just fine for you. If you try it 1st, you'll know.

FC
Old 10-24-2008, 06:55 PM

Great post Foli, my question is where can i test out a gun? DO gun shops let you? Or will i just have to find somebody with the same gun i want? Thanks
Old 10-24-2008, 07:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Unless a gun shop has a range and rents firearms or they are out in the countryyou are likely going to have to find someone with that same gun.

I am not picking on FC here but everyone always says try the gun first before you buy it. Not so easily done in most gun stores across the country.

As far as the Kahr and the 45goes I agree with FC.I would rather have that light weight of a pistol chambered in 9mm rather than a 45 or even 40. It isn't thatI am scared of the guns or a small person (6'2", 275lbs)but in a stressful situation,(what the gun is being purchased for) a 9mm is far easier to control in a gun as light weight as the Kahr.

If I were looking at a concealed 45 it would be in a heavier 1911 type of gun.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:07 PM
Fork Horn

Some indoor ranges have guns for rent, but the selection is usually limited. My opinion is the .40 is just about as good as the .45. I personally like the .45, but that may be because I've got enough .45 reloading components to last me through a couple of wars.

I've got an FN .45 for sale if you're interested, just like new, factory box and all that came with it, including 3 14rd. mags. Re: concealment, I usually carry in the small of my back, in an inside-the-pants holster, opposite hand. I'm only about 165# but I can put that FN under a t-shirt and you won't see it unless you're looking real hard for it. e-mail me at [email protected] if you're interested.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:47 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

Unless a gun shop has a range and rents firearms or they are out in the countryyou are likely going to have to find someone with that same gun.

I am not picking on FC here but everyone always says try the gun first before you buy it. Not so easily done in most gun stores across the country.

As far as the Kahr and the 45goes I agree with FC.I would rather have that light weight of a pistol chambered in 9mm rather than a 45 or even 40. It isn't thatI am scared of the guns or a small person (6'2", 275lbs)but in a stressful situation,(what the gun is being purchased for) a 9mm is far easier to control in a gun as light weight as the Kahr.

If I were looking at a concealed 45 it would be in a heavier 1911 type of gun.
Agreed. My local range had a Kahr for rent for only 1 very brief period in the past many years. Being able to rent exactly what you want to buy is anything but a given. Still, if there's anyone at your local range who knows another patron who owns the weapon you're looking for, I've very often found the firing range cameraderie to be such that people are more than glad to let you fire a few rounds with their guns. Just an idea.

My standard carry piece is a J-frame snubbie in a Robert Mika pocket holster. When I want more, I've got a Sig P245: the oomph of a .45, in a relatively small package that's still substantial enough to be controllable. Controllable by me, anyway... When I shot the Kahr 9mm, the little plastic blocks on the front of the grip tore the crap out of my palm.

FC
Old 10-24-2008, 08:47 PM
Fork Horn

Get the JUDGE. i carry a Jennings 22 and sometimes do not laugh i carry my 454.But if you get the judge it will cover anything you run into
Old 10-24-2008, 10:53 PM
Spike

I carry a .40 and a .45. Both glocks and are both the same size. A 23 and a 36. I actually think the 36 is easier to shoot. The recoil of the 36 is easier for me to deal with. As soon as I get night sights for the 36 it will become my primary carry. Don't rule out a .45 before you shoot one. I think the .40 has more snap to it than the .45.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Studies of officer involved shootings have shown that the biggest factor effecting the outcome of the shooting was control/shot placement. That would push me toward the smaller caliber. A solid hit center mass or head with a 9mm is 'more powerful' than winging someone with a .45 ormissing altogether. [8D]

I carry a 2" .357 and I'm pretty accurate with 4-5 shots but after that many rapid shots your hand is about toast.

Quick Reply: Concealed Choices

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.