Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Long time 700 owners >

Long time 700 owners

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Long time 700 owners

Old 10-29-2008, 01:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Long time 700 owners

Right now I have 2 700BDLs in my safe. One a 30-06 (my son's) and a .270. The '06 must be about 50 years old. I picked it up used really cheap (for like $100). The trigger was absoultely horrible and the previous owner said it wouldn't shoot. I found out why. When I got it home I took the action out of the stock. Apparently the prev. owner never did this and just kept oiling the gun. The bedding area around the barrel lug was like a sponge. I dug the soft wood out with my pocket knife and a dremel tool until I hit solid wood. the trigger was full of rust. I soaked it in a can of kerosene for a couple of days then took it apart and scrubbed it good with an old toothbrush. Treated the action with a release agent and filled the stock with fiberglass bedding and put it back together.
Rifle is a pretty good shooter now and the trigger is almost perfect.
My 270 is about as accurate a production rifle as you can getwith the right load). Its about 40 or so years old and has never let me down. I've carried it on a lot of hunt in a lot of states. I've taken animals from literally spitting distance to 'way out there'. I've been playing, quite sucessfully, with other newer rifles so this old girl has been setting back in the safe and not seeing much action. But I don't think I will ever get rid of her.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:32 PM
Typical Buck

Got my 700 the first year they came out with the "Mountain Rifle" (don't remember the year). Beautiful piece of wood with the ebony forend tip. What I like most about it is it's a great shooter. Mine is in .280 Rem. I handload a 140gr bullet and I'm good to go. I really like the trigger. Easy to adjust. Mine is set at 3lbs. Love this rifle.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:16 PM

Can anyone give me a breakdown on the different variations of the Model 700 that Remington offers? I don't understand the whole ADL, BDL, CDL, SPS, XCR, Mountain SS stuff. The other gun manufacturer's are easier for me for some reason.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Wall_Hanger

Can anyone give me a breakdown on the different variations of the Model 700 that Remington offers? I don't understand the whole ADL, BDL, CDL, SPS, XCR, Mountain SS stuff. The other gun manufacturer's are easier for me for some reason.
adl, bdl, cdl, means a,b&c grade. SPS is special purpose synthetic, xcr is xtreme cond. rifle, mountain lss is a lightweight laminate stainless. Go to the rem. website for all the past and present variants.

Dan in AK, sweet remys, thank for the pics! Im guessing you dont buy you ammo at walmart though
Old 10-29-2008, 10:06 PM

Would you say the difference between the a, b, c is mainly the stock or is it a lot more? Probably the barrel as well I'm guessing but how much does this effect the shooting performance?
Old 10-30-2008, 07:19 AM
DM

Mostly it's the stock/bottom metal... There can also be bbl length differences, and other minor differences, but the bolt/action/bbl for the most partare the same...

DM
Old 10-30-2008, 11:13 AM

ORIGINAL: Wall_Hanger

Would you say the difference between the a, b, c is mainly the stock or is it a lot more?
Stock, bottom metal, sights/no sights, barrel fluting on some models, and metal finish (gloss, matte, etc). The mechanics are the same for all the standard 700 models: same action, trigger, barrel quality, accuracy potential, etc.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:31 PM
Fork Horn

have a .243 ADL. Blued with Walnut stock. Also a7 Rem Mag. Matte and Synthetic
Old 10-30-2008, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

Rem 700BDL 7mm mag Built in 1962 bought by me at a pawn shop 10 yrs ago. Shoots way better than me

Rem 700 classic35 whelen built 1988 bought by me 1.5 years ago. Replaced stock with BDL stockStill working on loads for it, Very promising

Rem 700 223ADL ugly synthetic stockbought it 6 mths ago. Same as the 7 mag Shoots way better than me

The 7 mag Is my baby, Walked alot miles with that one. Never let me down! Jay
Old 10-31-2008, 01:24 AM

I have 2 Remington 700 rifles, one is a .243 Win.varmint and the other is a .223 Rem. Classic. Both of these guns have been consistent performers for me and have never let me down. I have had both of these guns for over 15 years and have lost track of how many Axis Deer, Feral Hogs, Feral Goats and Mouflon Sheep I have shot with them. Both of the guns have Timney triggers and replacement composite stocks. They both group under 1-1/2" at 100 yards with factory ammo. I have never tried reloads in them, but i'm sure they can do better.
The only thing that I don't like about the remington 700's are the triggers, but that is a problem with almost all factory production rifles. Lets put it this way, I wouldn't even consider getting rid of these guns. They are very reliable and built very solidly. Many of my fellow hunters also use 700's and I haven't heardof problems or complaints from any of them.

Axis

Quick Reply: Long time 700 owners

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.