Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Buying First Gun...Help >

Buying First Gun...Help

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Buying First Gun...Help

Old 10-23-2008, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Buying First Gun...Help

I am now being swayed towards the CZ 550.
You won't be disappointed with one
Old 10-24-2008, 06:26 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: GbarrenLA

Thanks for the help guys. I went and looked at a few different guns today. Im looking at the 30-06 caliber. In the price range between $500-$700. The guy at the shop really pushed the Remington 700 synthetic stock, but I kinda want a wooden stock. The 700 wooden is a bit more expensive, and does not have a floated barrel. He really shut me down on the Browning, but I kinda like the A-bolt. I am now being swayed towards the CZ 550. Gonna go hold some more tomorrow. Let me know if yall have any more ideas. This is probably the hardest thing that I have ever done.
It's not so hard. Go to the store with the most rifles, then handle them all. One will "pick" you, & that's the one you get. You can close your eyes, then shoulder the rifle. If it comes up right into position, it's a keeper. Savage, Ruger, Browning, Remington, & now Winchester (again) all make pretty wood-stocked rifles. They all go "bang", and each of those companies has either been getting the rifles right the 1st time around, or making the rifles right for unhappy customers, enough of the time to stay in business.

Find what fits you best, then look around for the best price on it.

We've all got suggestions for you, but you're the only one who's going to be shooting it. Don't decide on a brand/model just because we tell you to: shoulder 'em all for yourself, & you be the judge.

FC
Old 10-24-2008, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the help guys. I went and looked at a few different guns today. Im looking at the 30-06 caliber. In the price range between $500-$700. The guy at the shop really pushed the Remington 700 synthetic stock, but I kinda want a wooden stock. The 700 wooden is a bit more expensive, and does not have a floated barrel. He really shut me down on the Browning, but I kinda like the A-bolt. I am now being swayed towards the CZ 550. Gonna go hold some more tomorrow. Let me know if yall have any more ideas. This is probably the hardest thing that I have ever done.
Remember you are the customer don't let him push you to get something you don't want. The 30-06 is the number one classic out there. Keep us updated and remember to post pictures when you decide. If the Browning feels good get it.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:05 AM

Alright fellas. I just got back from my visit to the store and I have narrowed my decision down. I am no longer looking at the x-bolt because it just didn't feel right. I got to hold the CZ Model 3 I believe, because they did not have the 550 in stock. I would really like to get a hold of this gun to see if i like it as much as the Model 3. I also really liked the Remington 700, and the Browning A-bolt. So now ive got it narrowed down to three guns. Was gonna go to another store later on today but have decided to go bowhunting instead. Ill keep yall posted.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:00 PM

I'm rooting for the A-bolt....
Love my Brownings
Old 10-24-2008, 01:51 PM
Fork Horn

...So now ive got it narrowed down to three guns.
Hooray!

Was gonna go to another store later on today but have decided to go bowhunting instead. Ill keep yall posted.
And now, once and for all, you have revealed your genius! That's the best decision you've made yet!
Old 11-01-2008, 09:34 PM

Get something with a Mauser action. Remington 798
Old 11-02-2008, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Browning Abolt stainless stalker and I get a little teary when I think about that gun.3/4's of an inch all day long with factory ammo.It has the CR Boss attachment on it.
I wouldn't take double for what I have in this gun,that is as much an endorsement as I can give.