HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Enfield Jungle rifle 308.cal ? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/2692-enfield-jungle-rifle-308-cal.html)

Georgiaboy34 01-22-2002 09:52 AM

Enfield Jungle rifle 308.cal ?

I saw one of these in one of the local gun shops for the first time,The few websights i've found only talks about the 303. Is this a good accurate rifle?is it junk?the one i saw looked in good condition with a scope for 350.00. can anyone tell me a little more about this rifle?

hunt4fun1 01-22-2002 05:40 PM

RE: Enfield Jungle rifle 308.cal ?

Do an engine search for Gibbs Rifle Company.
I think they have them for alot less than that.
Let me know what you find.

8mm/06 01-22-2002 06:43 PM

I bought one of the long versions of the .308 Enfields. I can't remember if they were designated as A-1 or 1-A but I believe they were produced in Ishapore India and some runs of these .308 Enfields were suspect for manufacturing integrity. Mine appears to shoot fine, but have never put anything through it but moderate factory loads.
I think the Jungle Carbines were just shorty versions of the reg Enfields and were obviously either converted to the .308 woth a barrel swap or were produced in the same Ishapore arsenal.
I think the Gibbs rifles come fully re-furbished in beautiful shape.

BigEd 01-22-2002 10:06 PM

I bought one a few years back and it was a pain in the $#@*&%! It would not eject the brass or feed rounds from the mag and the front sight protector and handguard fell-off at the range when firing it! The only thing going for it, was it was darned accurate. All that said I've also seen ones that work perfectly!!!???!!!! Go figure!???

Georgiaboy34 01-23-2002 08:38 AM

Thanks for all of the info.I checked out some of the sights everyone has mentioned.this particular rifle has a composite stock on it,I was actually thinking on trading a 30-06 Winchester M-70 ranger with a simmons 44 mag scope for it.What i am hearing so far i don't think i will do it.Only reason for wanting to trade is i bought a ruger ss 30-06 and was wanting to possibly trade for a good 308. or even 7mm-08.I saw this enfield and it looked and felt good.The one thing i am hearing is that it is not very accurate and i would want to hunt with it.With all that said i did seem to strike an interest for history on the old military guns.

Hk45USP 01-23-2002 11:10 PM

If you want a good inexpensive "jungle rifle" (what jungle you gonna hunt in North America???) then go with a Ruger Mini-30 (7.62x39mm).

For what you want in a "jungle rifle", the Mini-30 can handle the job with ease. From small rodents (nutria etc...) to deer and some rare areas of black bears, the Mini-30 will handle with ease. (I'm refering to a bear in a forest area. I don't know of a true jungle that has bears).

The gun would work wonders on big "jungle" cats too if needed in a self defense role.

In a true jungle, one isn't going to have an open shot further than 15yards on average. The 7.62x39mm will stop anything mentioned above at those ranges. Even out to 100 yards, the 7.62x39 will work like a champ.

Plus, for a wet, humid, muddy jungle environment, the Mini-30 comes in stainless steel. A sythetic stock would be the perfect finishing touch for your "jungle gun".

In a true jungle like in south america, there is no animal in the jungle that could stand up to getting shot with a 7.62x39 and live for more than a few seconds. Especially with a quick double tap of the Ruger's semi-auto and light recoiled action.

Edited by - Hk45USP on 01/24/2002 00:14:23