Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Bore Sighter??? >

Bore Sighter???

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Bore Sighter???

Old 10-20-2008, 07:01 PM

Default Bore Sighter???

if i use a bore sighter on my gun, do i even have to shoot it to check to see if it is on???? they would have scopes on the guns
Old 10-20-2008, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bore Sighter???

Yes you have to shoot it. Bore sighting is just to get you on paper.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:40 AM

ok, i wasnt sure how it worked, if it gave you a perfect zero, or if you still had to shoot it thanks
Old 10-21-2008, 04:46 AM

Yup still shoot it and start at 50 yards. My 30-06 i used to have would still be about 10" off at 100 yards with a boresighter.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ditto on what the others have said. I have a cheap BSA bore sighter and, well, it works, but it isn't one of the best ones out there. It got me on paper at least.

See, a bore-sighter just measures/aligns your crosshairs with what is technically the center of the barrel. It can't take into consideration, different types of ammo, different handling of the rifle, etc... So you HAVE TO double check it.

Just like what Retaks said, start out at 50 yards and zoom the scope all the way at max power. If you have a bench rest - use it - it'll make it 10 times easier. Get yourself exactly, totally, completely, DEAD ON in the bullseye at 50 yards. Once you know you're set, then move out to 100 yards, and fine tune it again.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:18 AM
Spike

Millerhunter13, "If it can happen, it will" Leave the boresight toolat home, do not take it to the range, at the range, I remove the bolt, checkfor obstructions first, then fire.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/pictures/view/247632/

F. Guffey
Old 10-21-2008, 08:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

As a rule, a boresighting device is sufficiently accurate that your first shot should hit the target somewhere that you can see it, so adjusting your sight should be relatively easy. But I agree that your first shot after boresighting should be taken at no more than 50 yards.

But, since the bore sighting devicecannot compensate for the way your rifle barrel vibrates, or the amount your bullet drops, or the otheridiosyncracies of your particular weapon, it is IMPERATIVE that you finish zeroing the gun by shooting it on a known-distance range. Once you have it sighted in the way you want it, you can use the boresighter again and record where the scope's reticle linesup with the grid in the boresighter. Make a note of this. Then when you get to the hunting location, you can check your scope again to verify that it is still zeroed. This can prevent having to shoot it again when you are in the hunting camp to prove it has not changed.

Your final sight adjustment work should be done on a known-distance range that is as longas is available.Even a rifle that seems to be "dead on" at 100 yards can exhibit some real windage differences at 300-400 yards. In addition, bullet drop is often very different than what the tables say. So if you hunt where a long shot is possible, you need to know where your bullet is going to hit at those distances.
Old 10-24-2008, 03:15 PM

thanks for the input guys.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Be aware that even if you sight in your gun with a given load,the point of impact may be different with another load using the exact same bullet,let alone other bullets of the same weight.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

Be aware that even if you sight in your gun with a given load,the point of impact may be different with another load using the exact same bullet,let alone other bullets of the same weight.

I'll go one step further. I can't deer hunt with a centerfire in Illinois but when I sight in my slug guns I always buy boxes of slugs that are fromthe same lot number. Pull back the lid on the box, most lot numbers are printed there. I get some strange looks once in a while but if someone asks I tell them it is to insure (or try to) that all the ammunition is exactly the same. Just my theory......

Quick Reply: Bore Sighter???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.