Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 What rifle cartridge should i use? >

What rifle cartridge should i use?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What rifle cartridge should i use?

Old 10-19-2008, 05:20 PM

Default What rifle cartridge should i use?

I was just at Cabellas andI was looking at different cartridges for my .30-30. I was looking at theFederal Fusion* cartridge but I have always used RemingtonCore-Lockt* cartridges. So what would be the best to use for deer? The longest shot I would take is about 225-250yrds. Any advice?
Old 10-19-2008, 06:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What rifle cartridge should i use?

Try the Fusions and the Corelokts both, and use whichever is more accurate in your gun. The Corelokt is an old design, but it has always worked very well for killing game when fired at.30/30 velocities...
Old 10-19-2008, 07:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Those new .30-30 hornadys 160gr turn your gun into a 300yd deer gun.....so that would give you more energy at 200yds than the standard 150 or 170gr bullets, sicne they should lose velocity more slowly since they have a pointed tip instead of a blunted tip. I think the .30-30 is a bit on the light side for deer out at 200yds+, so those 160's id try and if they do well id use those!

Old 10-20-2008, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are trying to reach out to 200+ yards I would first look at the Hornady LeverRevolution line. They say they make a 300 yard gun of your 30-30 but most of the old 30-30s have 20'' barrels like mine so 250 is about max they got 300 because they tested in a 24'' barrel. I use them and have taken several deer with them and they shoot 1 1/4'' out of my Marlin.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another vote for hornady leverevolution IF you have your rifle scoped and are trying to reach out to 150-200 yards. I STILL wouldn't reccomend them much past 200 no matter WHAT their ads say. For closer ranges,just shoot the standard 150 gr that is most accurate in YOUR rifle as then the leverevolution ammo isn't needed and is more costly. The 30-30 isn't a "speed demon" so I opt for 150s as they give better expansion as opposed to the 170s.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:12 PM

i'd definitely vote for the hornady leverevolution
Old 10-25-2008, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's just me,and i know countless deer have been killed with the 30-30 at a lot of different distances,but imo the 30-30 is best used at fairly short distances. Yes,I know all the hype about the leverevolution ammo and rifle specifcally made for it,and I think it's GREAT-likely 1 of the best things ever to come out for the ol 30-30,HOWEVER,there comes a point of diminishing returns. Also I feel too many people will believe the advertizing without fully testing THEIR rifles at that range before attempting shots at game animals (deer) for trajectory and most importantly,accuracy at that range. Also the simple fact that the new marlins designed for leverelution ammo,both in 30-30 and .308 marlin express costs just as much as a good bolt action rifle. I really feel that if you're going to be taking shots out to 250 yards regularly,the game deserves the respect of using the most efficent/deadly equipment available-a good bolt action chambered for something like the 7mm08 (my choice),.260,.270,30-06,.280,.308,or similar. If you're the kind of person that will extensively test your setup at those ranges and can cofidently place shots,then by all means go for it.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Savage4life

I was just at Cabellas andI was looking at different cartridges for my .30-30. I was looking at theFederal Fusion* cartridge but I have always used RemingtonCore-Lockt* cartridges. So what would be the best to use for deer? The longest shot I would take is about 225-250yrds. Any advice?
The only ammo you shouldeven be consideringforethically shooting deer at that range is the LeveRevolution.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:31 PM
Fork Horn

Go with Hornady leverevolution you will love them on a old 30-30
Old 10-25-2008, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

It's just me,and i know countless deer have been killed with the 30-30 at a lot of different distances,but imo the 30-30 is best used at fairly short distances. Yes,I know all the hype about the leverevolution ammo and rifle specifcally made for it,and I think it's GREAT-likely 1 of the best things ever to come out for the ol 30-30,HOWEVER,there comes a point of diminishing returns. Also I feel too many people will believe the advertizing without fully testing THEIR rifles at that range before attempting shots at game animals (deer) for trajectory and most importantly,accuracy at that range. Also the simple fact that the new marlins designed for leverelution ammo,both in 30-30 and .308 marlin express costs just as much as a good bolt action rifle. I really feel that if you're going to be taking shots out to 250 yards regularly,the game deserves the respect of using the most efficent/deadly equipment available-a good bolt action chambered for something like the 7mm08 (my choice),.260,.270,30-06,.280,.308,or similar. If you're the kind of person that will extensively test your setup at those ranges and can cofidently place shots,then by all means go for it.
Nah, it's not just you, stalkingbear. I echo your sentiments wholeheartedly. But again, I don't believe you need belted magnums to smoke a white tail with either. Your recommendations hit it pretty well. I second all the advice from the other posters who recommend trying different ammo in the gun to determine it's preference, and by all means crank a few rounds downrange at 200-250 yds. and see what ya got....... that should tell you something.

Quick Reply: What rifle cartridge should i use?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.