HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Walmarts are awesome, haha (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/268408-walmarts-awesome-haha.html)

Gangly 10-16-2008 01:46 PM

Walmarts are awesome, haha

I've been keeping an eye open for the cheapest place for ammunition lately because I was going to head to the range tonight to go shooting with my father. Well, I needed some 30-06 rounds and some 30-30 rounds. I went to Gander Mountain this past Tuesday and checked their prices, and then went to Academy to compare (Academy is usually lower). To say I was a little shell shocked (pun intended) by the recent increase in the price of ammunition would be an understatement. On the way home for some out of the office work today I stopped at the local Wal-mart for some various items and decided to see if they had any ammunition left over from when they used to sell rifles. Low and behold they did, and the boxes were DUSTY!!!

Anyways, the following is the prices.
Gander Academy Wal-Mart
WIN 30.06 150 Grn Ballisitic Tips ~39.95 ~38.95 ~30.95
WIN 30-30 150 Grn. Power Point ~18.95 ~17.95 ~10.97
Remington 30.06 180 Grn. Core-lokt ~22.95 ~22.95 ~13.47

Now, I dont care for Wal-mart too much, but my loyalty lies with the cheapest seller for the product I'm looking for, whether its a swarovski scope or a pack of chewing gum. Walmart usually doesnt have the products im looking for, but this time they did and they were CHEAP by comparison. The price stickers on the lower counter appeared to be heavily worn and faded, and the boxes of ammunition were dispersed randomly amongst eachother, so I am assuming that the ammunitions they had in stock were never replaced, and the prices were never updated since the whole "not selling firearms" thing occured. Whatever it is, i strongly urge others to check the old wal-marts in the area that arent selling firearms anymore and check to see if they still have their ammunitions in stock. You might just luck out and find some dirt cheap ammunitions.

RenaissanceBiker 10-16-2008 02:12 PM

RE: Walmarts are awesome, haha

Wal-Mart varies what they stock by location. The Wal-Mart near my office has ammo and scopes but no rifles and no camo (?). The Wal-Mart near my house has rifles, shotguns, ammo,arrows, deer corn and plenty of camo clothing. You can get you hunting license there too. I bought a Marlin .22 there last spring. It was funny because my wife had a cart full of stuff by the time we finished the paperwork. I guess it was naive of me to think I could pay for it all at the same time. I had to pay for the rifle at the sporting goods counter, then an asst. manager ******ed me to my car with it. I had to go back in to pay for the rest of the stuff. I buy all my ammo there.

hometheaterman 10-16-2008 08:21 PM

The Wal-Mart near us doesn't stock a ton of ammo just common stuff. If you go in and want 30-06 150 grain power points they often have them but only rarely have the 150 grain Silvertips I like. They also only sometimes have the 165 grain soft points I used to use. Anything common like 9mm or .45 ACP ammo they seem to stock one or two kinds of. They also sell rifles and shotguns and muzzloading stuff during muzzle loading season as they do bow stuff during bow season.

The one a few towns over well the two that are super walmarts seem to have a large supply of ammo and guns.

I've also found them to be the best price on most anything gun related if they have it. Way cheaper than Dicks sporting goods. I did find a local shop a few buddies like a few towns over that seem to have comparable prices. As in the muzzle loader bullets I shoot were like 15.99 instead of 18.99 and the pellets were 23 or something instead of 28. Then the 30-06 150 grain silvertips shoot were 23.99 and I think are like 23.17 at Wal-Mart. So most stuff was around the same or slightly cheaper. Most was around the same. I was highly impressed with that gun shop. I would have bought my last gun from them but they had a waiting list which I didn't want to be on when others had it instock. They are the only place I've really seen compete with Wal-Mart prices on stuff. Even ammo places online often charge more than Wal-Mart then you have to pay shipping.

oldelkhunter 10-17-2008 06:58 AM

Enjoy the fun I believe starting January 1 they are out of the firearms business...I have to buy out my local Walmarts 308 ammo which is cheap

sjsfire 10-17-2008 10:51 AM

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

Enjoy the fun I believe starting January 1 they are out of the firearms business...I have to buy out my local Walmarts 308 ammo which is cheap

All of them? The ones (3) in a 10 mile circle near meall quit selling firearms just before Chirstmas 06. Limited supplies of ammo now.

oldelkhunter 10-17-2008 10:55 AM

All of them? The ones (3) in a 10 mile circle near meall quit selling firearms just before Chirstmas 06. Limited supplies of ammo now.
2 employees at my local walmart told me every walmart will be out of that business

Briman 10-17-2008 11:04 AM

I still buy 100rd .45 winchester white box packs from walmart- the prices are $5-10 cheaper than anywhere else.

I used to buy their bargan trap loads as well, but the prices have gone up significantly and the hulls aren't any good for reloading.

skb2706 10-17-2008 01:09 PM

Awesome ?

nobody there speaks English as a first language if by chance you find that someone does, odds are good the goods are odd

they don't sell but a very few items "Made in America" (this goes totally against Sams original plan)

they have been in and out of court many times for the way they have treated female employees for many years (on the losing end)

the crime rate associated with having Walmart build a store in your area goes up 25-35% ....overnight

their second rate grocery items don't exactly inspire me to feed there

Walmart doesn't even make my top one hundred on the "Awesome List".

there is not one thing I would buy at Walmart (I handload)

somewhere Sam Walton is rolling in his grave................

Todd1700 10-17-2008 06:29 PM

Awesome ?
I'll remind you of this glib statement when Wal-Mart no longer sells bullets and you are paying 55 dollars a box for simple Cor-lokts and Power Points. Trust me the thieving greedy sporting goods owners are licking their chops just thinking about it right now.

bigtim6656 10-17-2008 07:00 PM

i do alot of shopping at walmart there normaly cheaper the one place i will buy from without checking prices
The one in town has camo ammo scopes scent so on. but no guns the one in the next town has guns and everything else just less. Kinda odd since it is a super and the one in town is not.
Now the one north is a joke has more guns then most butnot muchfor camo or anything else.
i spent 1600 to 1800 this year most was either cabels. or a little at bass pro. I did buy some from a big and tall store. no one had my camo 6x in most and 8x in my coveralls. Though i will be buying new again next season. After lossing some weight my pants fall off and the belt needs new notchs cut into it. the shirt was already to big. Though i proplem i am glad to have