Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Just watched a Hunting show Ruger 375 >

Just watched a Hunting show Ruger 375

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Just watched a Hunting show Ruger 375

Old 10-15-2008, 02:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Just watched a Hunting show Ruger 375

I really hate this stuff on the outdoor channel ,versus and espn, but if there is no football of any kind on tv,westerns, military or cop showsand the only otherthing playing is dancing with the stars or the lifetime channel then I watch them. I have watched a lot of Grizzlies killed on these shows but last night watched a guy in AK wack one with the new Ruger 375. I am here to tell you that bear was stoned and I mean stone dead in a millisecond. He was hit behind the shoulder and normally they run a bit before they die. WOW is all I can say
Old 10-15-2008, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Just watched a Hunting show Ruger 375

Just wait until I get my new wildcat round going based on the .375 ruger necked down to 7mm.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

OEH - I didn't see that one but I think it not only has to do with shot placement, but also with the timing of the shot in relation to the heart beat.
I watched a video of my cousin shooting a brown bear with a 375 H&H. That bear took 3 direct hits - first and third one into the left shoulder and the second one into the right shoulder before going down - and a fourth round to finish him.
Then again, I've seen them crumble with one shot from a lesser round.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just wait until I get my new wildcat round going based on the .375 ruger necked down to 7mm.

That will be something to see keep us updated

OEH - I didn't see that one but I think it not only has to do with shot placement, but also with the timing of the shot in relation to the heart beat.
Might have been but it was one impressive kill nevertheless
Old 10-19-2008, 11:42 AM
Typical Buck

From what I have seen on TV hunting,I would call that pure dumb luck. Dropping an animal in it's tracks usually comes from hitting shoulder blades and their explosion causes massive organ destruction. I.e. the shoulder drops the animal, but the done and bullet destroys the organs. I used to think thi was a great shot, but it seems like the organs being hit by bone fragments leaves alot to chance.

A low shot behind the shoulder should hit the heart and that is a sure things. It also gives a low exit hole for massive bleeding. This usually results in a step or 2 before they fall. High shots go into the lungs, which is deadly, butthey take longer to bleed out so they can run more.

Shoulder shots can drop immediately, but then get up and limp off to die slow.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

No doubt about it, it's a very good round that should see a lot of us if osama lets us keep our guns. 375 H&H + performance on a shorter action.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

I really hate this stuff on the outdoor channel ,versus and espn, but if there is no football of any kind on tv,westerns, military or cop showsand the only otherthing playing is dancing with the stars or the lifetime channel then I watch them. I have watched a lot of Grizzlies killed on these shows but last night watched a guy in AK wack one with the new Ruger 375. I am here to tell you that bear was stoned and I mean stone dead in a millisecond. He was hit behind the shoulder and normally they run a bit before they die. WOW is all I can say
Yes. But the result would have been the same, had the varmint been struck with the same bullet at the same speed, regardless of the name or shape of the cartridge which launched it. Even the old, obsolete .375 H&H......
Old 10-20-2008, 08:58 AM
DM

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

Yes. But the result would have been the same, had the varmint been struck with the same bullet at the same speed, regardless of the name or shape of the cartridge which launched it. Even the old, obsolete .375 H&H......
Don't tell the Ruger worshipers that! You will burst their bubble!! lol

DM
Old 10-20-2008, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

The .375 h&h will never be obsolete because of the years it's been the ONLY option in it's class and the number of rifles thus chambered but the ruger IS an very interesting option. While I don't know how long the ruger round will be around or how much of a success it will be,if I didn't already have a .375 h&h and was buying a .375 I wouldmost likelychoose the ruger round. I DO know it makes an EXCELLENT case to base wildcat cartridges off of.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:10 AM
Typical Buck

Another secret to keep from Ruger lovers. . .I don't want a rimless, beltless cartridge in my Africa gun. I want a big bullet, pushed by a big cartridge, which will feed in a dirty gun everytime,which I can be sure will go off when the primer hits it. The only way to ensure it goes off is by positive headspacing with a rim or belted magnum. The feeding comes from a large overly tapered case filled with mild to normal powder at normal pressures. A stuck case or case split can get you killed in Africa, or even with Grizzley bears. Excessive taper helps feed. It allows the catridge to displace when it meets grit.

New fangled cartridges like 300 WSM, 375 Ruger have no place in a gun to be used where your game likes to eat you, even if your guide/PH has a double in 577 NE.

Quick Reply: Just watched a Hunting show Ruger 375

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.