Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
im so sick of the short magnum hype >

im so sick of the short magnum hype

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

im so sick of the short magnum hype

Old 01-03-2002, 06:08 AM
Typical Buck

Default im so sick of the short magnum hype

people... its the same thing as the long magnum except in a short action. they've performed well! so buy them! oh. and if u have a 300 winchester mag and want a 300 wsm.. then buy it.. but they'll perform about the same..
i think short magnums have been hyped WAY TOO MUCH. i think the 300 wsm would've been ok if it was the only one.. but with the introduction of what? 3 other short mags... argh!! i can't stand it!!!!

*i just had to get this off my chest*

_ _ _ _ _
Remember "The 4 G's"
God
Guns
Guitars
Girls
Old 01-03-2002, 06:30 AM

Default RE: im so sick of the short magnum hype

I couldn’t agree with you more, if you want one of the new magnums by all means go out and buy one they are great rounds.

But,

I just don’t see where they are the saviors of the shooting world they seem to be billed as. I have a friend that just bought a 300 WSM and was joking with me about my antique 300 Weatherby Mag ( all in good fun ). So out comes the reloading data and guess what? The 300 Weatherby spanked the WSM. Weight? My mark V was lighter. Accuracy? We don’t know yet, but I can shoot sub MOA all day long with my “antique”

If you want a short magnum buy it they really are a nice round. Just remember those of us out there with the “older” magnums might not get all that worked up over them.
Old 01-03-2002, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am sick of it too. BTW, in the reloading data the 300 Win Mag edges the 300WSM too. The only data that says otherwise is Winchester's factory load ballistics tables and they are smoking something over there to get the numbers that they came up with.
Old 01-03-2002, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think that the only reason Win. came up with the WSM line is because profits were falling, and they needed something to get people interested in buying guns again. I believe that Rem. only introduced their short mags to counter Win. I'm tired of hearing all of this "stuff" about these short mags too, I think we should stick with the 30-06 and traditional mags.
Old 01-03-2002, 07:34 AM

Welcome to Marketing 101. Its all about sales.
Old 01-03-2002, 07:56 AM
bigcountry

Well, for people that so sick of it, everyone seems to be bringing it up everytime it started quieting down.

Old 01-03-2002, 07:58 AM

If I didn't have a .300Win Mag I'd get one of the Ultra Mags. Not needing that belt to headspace in a bolt action is supposed to be an improvement. The accuracy can supposedly be affected as the cases distort from use. That belt supposedly keeps them from being resized back to spec. I never personaly had this happen; but I know something happens at or after about the third go-round from talking to other magnum shooters. Or is it thier reloading technique??? I only neck-size my cases.
Old 01-03-2002, 08:34 AM

I really like what I've seen from the 7mm and .300 WSM so far as far as ballistics. I've always been a sucker for short action guns though. But I won't buy one for at least a few years as I really don't care to reload if I don't have to. And who knows what will stick around with both winchester and remington coming out with their own version at basicly the same time. I just can't believbe that all those cartridges will stick around for long.
Old 01-03-2002, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

It will be interesting to see if there is room for both the Remington and the Winchester short mags. My guess is one of the two will not do very well.
Old 01-03-2002, 09:10 PM

I'M GLAD TO SEE THAT I'M NOT THE ONLY SYNICAL SOUL LEFT. AND I AGREE WITH 340WBY THAT THESE ROUNDS ARE SELLING A BOAT LOAD OF RIFLES AND I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THAT. BUT THESE "INDEPENDENT" TEST RESULTS ABOUT FACTORY LOAD PERFORMANCE SEEM A LITTLE BLOATED. AND AT 275LBS I DON'T THINK THAT MY RIFLE WEIGHING 6.5#'S INSTEAD OF 7#'S IS THAT BIG A DEAL... I'LL JUST HAVE ONE PIECE OF CAKE AND CARRY THE "HEAVY" RIFLE INSTEAD OF HAVING SECONDS AT DESERT.

CERTIFIED GUN NUT--

Quick Reply: im so sick of the short magnum hype

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.