Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 You carry a handgun with your while hunting? >

You carry a handgun with your while hunting?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

You carry a handgun with your while hunting?

Old 10-13-2008, 08:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: You carry a handgun with your while hunting?

i started this season....

lots of things can get ugly....come across a pot patch, meth lab, shine still, jumped at the vehicle etc etc etc....i do a fair bit of hunting a LONG ways from the nearest occupied house...rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it...

not to mention fellow HUNTERS that want to get irrate...never know when one will loose his/her cool and do somethin stupid....

PA finally made it legal to CC while bowhunting this year....nice peace of mind....
Old 10-13-2008, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

If it was legal here I would.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:03 PM

The only thing legal to carry here in LA is .22 rimfire loaded with "rat shot" unless it is open firearm season. I haven't checked into wether or not ccw is allowed here. Anyone on here know?
Old 10-13-2008, 10:02 PM

Your CCW is still good when you hunt. Only difference is fed land (Kisatchie). Not sure about WMA's.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I rarely carry when hunting around my home during archery season. If I am hunting an unfamiliar area I will carry it just for peace of mind.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

When I am hunting with my handgun, yes. Or archery hunting, yes. Rifle hunting, no.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

"BUT, if you can't get it done with the rifle that's "already in your hands", then having a handgun won't be an improvement."

Absolutely correct! There's absolutely nothing at all wrong with hunting with a handgun, but dragging a big handgun along when hunting with a rifle is just complicating matters!

Of course, this comment is from someone who relies on a nice, sharp Buck Stockman pocket knife for field dressing the animals after the shot, too.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:36 PM

ORIGINAL: DM

Having both will cause you to have to think handgun? or rifle?, wasteing valuable time that could be spent getting the more powerful, more accurate rifle into action...

DM
I never thought of that. Since I have spent a good deal of my adult life making a living carrying both, it is second nature to me. But to someone who hasn't, it could be a liability.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here, even with a CCW permit you can't carry your handgun with you while bowhunting, and for rifle season it has to have at least a 4 inch barrel, be center fire, and no laser sighting devices. So, during bow season, I don't carry. During rifle season, I carry my Ruger Vaquero in 45LC. I've never taken a deer with it, but I'm going to try this year.

In town,the .38goes with me. Sometimes the Ruger, but it's a little awkward. Open carry is legal here, but I don't believe it's a good idea.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

The ONLY times I carry a handgun when I'm hunting is if: I'm hunting in area that has bigger dangerous critters(bear,hog,human druggie,etc),or I'm handgun hunting to begin with. In other words,unless I'm huntin with a handgun,I hardly ever carry.

Quick Reply: You carry a handgun with your while hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.