Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 You carry a handgun with your while hunting? >

You carry a handgun with your while hunting?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

You carry a handgun with your while hunting?

Old 10-13-2008, 08:27 AM

Default RE: You carry a handgun with your while hunting?

ORIGINAL: statjunk

Always. Haven't you seen Deliverance!

Tom
Seen it? All the extras from that movie live here. So, yes, I carry. A mixed load of HP's and 9mm shotshells for snakes.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can use arevolver of certain calibers in Illinois. I don't think there is anything illegal if you carry and have your sluggun of muzzleloader with you during the firearm season. Certainly illegal during the bow and muzzleloader only seasons as far as I know. My handguns are semi auto so I can't hunt with them anyways. Also no CCW in Illinois thanks to our wonderful politicians.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:27 AM
bigcountry

Nope, rarely. I am into less is better these days. More of a wieght thing for me.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:33 PM

That Glock 26 doesn't weigh too much, BC. I figure I carry 250 pounds with me wherever I go, so the Glock is a minimal contribution. Way better than squealin' like a pig.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

yep, if there is anything bigger than a coyote and has teethe and claws, IM CARRYING!!!
Old 10-13-2008, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

i normally carry one of my 9mm's while hunting unless it is against that area's regulations. i wear it for snake protection and finishing off game if needed (which i have never had to do).
Old 10-13-2008, 02:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

No, I don't! I concur with Big Country. Generally, a handgun powerful enough to be useful is cumbersome & heavy!!

I just carry a rifle that I am certain will work!! Why? Because a rifle always trumps a handgun, both from the standpoint of power and accuracy.I have no desire to shoot little pistol-size critters like grouse & wabbits.....

I used to get a kick out of the cheechakos in Alaska who'd carry a handgun while hunting brown bear. I always asked them what they thought a handgun would do for them, should their .375 H&H fail to kill the varmint!!

I suppose, if they dropped the rifle and were fortunate enough to be able to climb a tree high and fast enough that the bear couldn't reach them, they could shell it to death with the handgun, if they had brought along enough ammo for it........
Old 10-13-2008, 03:58 PM

I know one guy from Alaska from another forum, who said he carried a pistol because sometimes the bear is on you before a rifle can be useful. Sometimes, apparently, you see cubs, but no mama. Which is bad, because mama is not far away. Once the bear is on top of you, a handgun is easier to use in those close quarters. Makes me glad all I need to worry about is snakes, hogs, and coyotes. Well, skunks too, but they aren't deadly.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:06 PM
DM

I consider myself an above average handgun shot, having taken much big game withmy S&W 44 mag.,including moose, deer ect... BUT, if you can't get it done with the rifle that's "already in your hands", then having a handgun won't be an improvement. Sell the darn thing, and use the $$ to buy ammo for the rifle, practiseing untill you KNOW you can get it done with the rifle...

Having both will cause you to have to think handgun? or rifle?,wasteing valuable time that could be spent getting the more powerful, more accuraterifle into action...

DM
Old 10-13-2008, 05:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, Glock 17 when hunting. Mainly just in case I walked across a pot farm.

Quick Reply: You carry a handgun with your while hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.