Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

NEW .17 HMR

Old 10-14-2008, 11:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: NEW .17 HMR

I took my Savage on several squirrel hunts last year and had a blast. After the first time I decided to limit myself to only taking head shots (The rifle is so accurate that this seemed only fair to the squirrels). I got a bunch of them at ranges out to 75 or 80 yds. It really diciplines your shooting skills and patience.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:07 PM

another vote for the savage 93

I have one w/out an accutrigger and love it.

Get some FMJ's and feel free to shoot a squirrel where ever, it doesn't destroy much... the BT's and HP's on the other hand... wow
Old 11-01-2008, 06:03 AM

Gonna hop into this thread instead of starting a new one.

Im about to pull the trigger and buy a Remington Model 5 .17HMR

I see very little on the forums about this rifle, anyone have one? What ya think of it?
Old 11-01-2008, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: goatbrother

A Marlin 917V is hard to beat.
X2 I had the Savage and just didn't think it shot as good as the Marlin. However, I have a Savage .223 that is one of the most accurate guns I own, right out of the box. I love the accu trigger.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:59 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: tsonka

Gonna hop into this thread instead of starting a new one.

Im about to pull the trigger and buy a Remington Model 5 .17HMR

I see very little on the forums about this rifle, anyone have one? What ya think of it?
Take a look around at rimfrecentral.com before you buy that Remy. http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221908&highlight=model+5
Old 11-02-2008, 02:31 PM

Thank you for the reply.

After posting here I did some more research and discovered that the Remington model 5 is not made by Remington so that firearm lost some of its appeal. Now Im not saying its a bad gun its just that I have a model 700 that I love and I was looking at the Model 5 thinking it was a Remington made by Remington.

Now that I have that new piece of information I am looking at the Savage Model 93 with the SS bull barrel, Model 93R17-FVSS.

I have a question about that rifle that Im gonna ask here but may start a new thread if needed to get an answer.

I am not a fan of plastic on my firearms. I wish that Savage offered the Model 93R17 Classic with a SS Bull Barrel. I was going to email them and ask them if the stock off the Model 93R17 Classic would hold the componets of the FVSS, and if so could I buy the wooden stock of the classic and swap the parts over. Savage does not accept email Does anyone know the answer to that question?

Thank you for the rimfire forum site. That forum is new to me.

Another question Im going to ask here to avoid a new thread. All of my firerarms serve a purpose.

Ruger 10/22 - Small Game
Remington 700- Deer
Remington 870 - Shotgun
Smith and Wesson 44mag - Dresser Drawer
Browning Buckmark II and Ruger mark II - plinking

The idea for the .17HMR is this.

I spend time each weekend at the 100 yard shooting range with my friends and ammo cost is starting to wear on me. I like to shoot, caliber is not an issue with me when target shooting, I would use my .22 on the 100 yard range if it wasnt for the fact that my scope is set at50 yards. I an wanting a rifle that is suitable for 100 yards with a reasonable ammo cost when it comes to shooting 100 rounds a weekend (yes that sounds like alot but my shooting partners have AR-15's and go through that much ammo quickly). I shot my uncle's .17HMR and think that I have found my gun but someone suggested the .22mag and tossed that into the mix. I am still pro .17HMR but I do not want to rule out anything.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:00 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Retaks

Save some money and get a Marlin and put a good Timney trigger in it.
timney makes a marlin trigger? since when?