Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Walmart Remington 770 >

Walmart Remington 770

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Walmart Remington 770

Old 10-31-2008, 02:47 PM

Default RE: Walmart Remington 770

I got this gun because of price mainly, this will be my 1st season going out and hunting..with that in mind I didn't want to pay alot just incase I didn't like hunting, if it becomes a hobby I plan to stick with then next season I'll most likely spend more and get a better gun. I knew this rifle wasn't something that would last a while , come on I only paid $408 for it. I knew at that price it was bottom of the feed chain. but none the less it will work for me this season to get started. thanks for everyones insight.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:34 PM

Default RE: Walmart Remington 770

STAY AWAY FROM IT. THAT GUN IS A SHAME TO REMINGON. Go out and buy a savage. The savage rifles are 10x better all around. The bold action in a 770 feels like there is sand in it and the trigger is sticky. With the savages, the bold action is smoother and it has the accu-trigger. All around, for about 100 more dollars, you can get a much better gun.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:52 PM
Spike

Default From a 770 owner:

I bought the 770 in a 30-06 last year from Walmart. The scope is a decent 4 x 10 Bushnell. Before taking it out to shoot, I checked it out and tightened down the mounts. The action feels a little sloppy, but with some 150 gr BTSP, I am able to shoot a consistent 1 1/4" 5 shot group at 100 yds. Also tuned the trigger. The rifle I bought had been sent to the factory & returned after repairs, so it was marked down $280.00. Went out yesterday in 20 deg weather & optics were very clear, no fogging. I sighted it in about 4 months ago, then went out on Saturday & put 3 rounds in a 3/4" group and quit shooting because it was still on the bull. Walmart does clearly state that they won't service or repair your gun and they told me not to come back into the store with the gun no matter what. I consider it a temp to get me through a couple seasons. I feel that I got my money's worth, bot probably won't buy another 770. On the other hand... It sure is fun outshooting some of the more expensive guns on the range!
Old 10-26-2009, 03:05 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by SILVERTIP-CO
I thot the 710 was shame of Remmmy and the 770 was waymobetta.

The 770 replaced the 710, lol the 770 is the worst rifle ive had the displeasure of selling other than the mossberg 4X4. when someone is trying to save a few bucks i always try to lead them away from the 770 and toward a 700 ADL which at Walmart is about the same price in the $300-400 range, also in the 200-300 range is the savage stevens 200 or the Mossberg ATR
Old 10-26-2009, 03:08 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by irishhunter
I got this gun because of price mainly, this will be my 1st season going out and hunting..with that in mind I didn't want to pay alot just incase I didn't like hunting, if it becomes a hobby I plan to stick with then next season I'll most likely spend more and get a better gun. I knew this rifle wasn't something that would last a while , come on I only paid $408 for it. I knew at that price it was bottom of the feed chain. but none the less it will work for me this season to get started. thanks for everyones insight.
You severely over paid im afraid...you can find a Rem 700 ADL for about the same price and that gun is one of the nicest most accurate rifles out of the box you can buy.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:47 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by irishhunter
could you please tell me what is so wrong with this gun

as a brand new hunter I bought a Rem. 770 in the .270 cal.
I had to sight in the scope because it was about 2-3 feet off the target. besides that it shoots well IMO..I'm dead center at 100 yds.
... .... I was just wondering why so many people are against this rifle...didI wastemy money?
Naw, you didn't waste your money. And I have a theory as to why so many dislike this rifle: they've heard it from someone else.

I'm going to go out on a thick branch and guess that... most of the peeps who advise against the 770, have not shot one (as I have not)

just a guess

Last edited by Catus Magnus; 10-26-2009 at 05:57 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:00 PM
Spike

I never shot the 770, but if it is improved from the 710, it must be a good one! I bought the 710 chambered in .270 five years ago for my then 8 year old son. Was shocked with the accuracy of this "budget" rifle with it's short barrel. Shooting was also a pleasure. No recoil to speak of. My son and my wife have taken numerous deer with this rifle out to 300 yards. The Bushnell scope on it does just fine. Not fair to compare it to a Nikon.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used to have a 710 in .270 and it shot very well and we took a couple of deer with it. The scope was pretty descent for a package gun scope, better than the one on my neighbors Stevens 200 package gun. I did end up trading it back in when I found a crack in the channel that you slide the clip into. I was disappointed too because the gun fit me very well and I only had a couple of hundred bucks into it. If you could find one for under $300, I would say maybe, but if you can spring for another couple hundred dollars, I would bump up to a more mainstream gun like a mdl 70 Winchester or mdl 700 Remington or even look for a new Marlin XL7. The XL7 can be had for about the same price as the 770 and it has some excellent reviews.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:17 PM
Banned

Man, old thread but boys it ain't Mr. Walmart and it ain't Mr. Small Shop.....

It's Mr. Remington going after market share. Those 710 and 770 were built just for the POS market.

Remington would rather sell 10,000 units to Walmart at a cost of $200 than 1,000 units to Joe Smallshop for $300. Wouldn't you?

The reason those two rifles don't look like a 700 is that they figured out how to cut manufacturing costs to hit a price point. Unfortunately, they f-ed up the 710. If you want a Remington, get one from about 20 years ago.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:58 AM
Spike

MOST YALL ARE JUST GUESSING WHEN U SAY WHAT URE SAYING I BET U HAVENT EVEN HAD ONE. i got mine about a year ago shot over 500 rounds ou of it to see how it shot and things after u stick a good scope on it ure ok just dont buy it from walmart or anywere like that it is altogether a really good gun. it last and ive had no problem with it unlike the stevens model 200

stevens model 200 is a piece of crap doesnt shoot good doesnt feel good doesnt have an overall good look

Quick Reply: Walmart Remington 770

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.