Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 New to deer hunting, which rifle? >

New to deer hunting, which rifle?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New to deer hunting, which rifle?

Old 09-30-2008, 07:37 PM

Default New to deer hunting, which rifle?

hey my name is john and i just got into deer hunting threw my girlfriends family. i wish i could have hunted earlier in my life, but my family hates guns and the killing of animals, but i do not feel how they feel and see nothing wrong with the sport. i have been browsing the market and reading about some rifles. i am trying to find a good rifle but not for a bad price. my budget would be around $500. thanks for any help and/or advice would be appreciated thanks again
Old 09-30-2008, 08:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: New to deer hunting, which rifle?

Does your family read the Bible??? If they do then they should realize that the plants, animals and other creatures were put here for our use...

Anyway...a bolt action rifle is the most popular, there are many great brands, most will shoot better than many can hold...I'd start by just going to a few sporting good stores and seeing which ones appeal to you, take a buddy and he can point out the differences...

As far as caliber, many will work, as a new shooter you will want a caliber that doesn't kick too bad so you don't develope a bad habit called flintching...Some of the more popular calibers are...243, 7mm-08,
.270 and 25-06...None of these kick too bad and all are effective...
Old 09-30-2008, 09:25 PM

I agree with hawkeye the bolt action is the way to go if it is legal to hunt with where you plan on hunting. Tikka T3, Ruger Hawkeye, Remington SPS,or a Savage 111 are the best deals in that price range with the Savage 111 package deal being the best deal overall. However, if you can I would get either the Tikka T3 or the Ruger Hawkeye over the Savage but that is only my personal preferences. There are an overwhelming group of Savage fans on here and perhaps rightfully so because of their inherent accuracy at an extremely affordable price. I however do not feel that their durability is up to par with say the Ruger or the Tikka but I am going to be in trouble now that I said that, LOL.

For caliber I would go with either a 30.06 or a 7mm Rem Mag.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Welcome to the forum...

In my opinion, you should match the firearm to the type of huntingand the terrain you will be in.

Example: You wouldn't want to carry an old .30-30 with open sights out to the open plains of Nebraska, hunting mule deer. Just like you wouldn't want to carry a massive .300 magnum with 4-12x40 scope into the wicked thick, heavy, brush, hunting a whitetail deer.

I am a .30 caliber fan and hunt with two different rifles, for the two types of terrain I hunt in.

Heavy brush, thick woods, shots limited to 50 yards at max: My old Marlin .30-30 with plain iron sights is perfect for this.
Up on the ridgetops, overlooking the abandon pasture, shots upwards to 200 yards at max: My Savage .308 with a Bushnell 3-9x40 scope is perfect for this.

Both rifles don't pound your shoulder and the ammo is relatively inexpensive compared to other ammo.

...just my opinion.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Butch, match the gun to the type of hunting you will be doing. Your girlfriends family would be an excellent resource. Seems to me like they would be the people you'll be hunting with at least to start with. Depending on where you are in the country will make some choices easier for you. If you have pawn shops around that sell firearms that would be an excellent way to save some money. I would also suggest trying to get out with your girl's family to go shooting every now and again to give them an opportunity to get to know you and your abilities so that they can more accurately help you with your selection.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

For the average guy and $500 Ruger, Savage, Tikka, and Weatherby Vangaurd are all great places to start and will leavelittle to me desired. Go to the store pick a few up and see what feels best and has a natural point of aim.

As for caliber you want something well rounded that will serve you well for years to come in a verity of fields. You don't want a magnum most likely since you haven't hunted much because a flinch is a terrible habit. Any of these will serve your need perfectly 243, 260, 7mm-08, 308, 25-06, 270, 280, or 30-06. There are more but these are the basics and ammo can be found easily and affordably.

Optics is a big deal also. I good rifle with a cheap bubble pack walmart scope may work but you will be better off with better. Look for a scope from a repitable brand like nikon, leupold, or bushnell. $125 + to start with if you are on a budget.

Welcome the sport and enjoy the process of getting you first gun.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:55 AM

Don't forget to allow for $$$ for a scope and mounts.

If you are on a tighter budget , counting the scope, then look into the Mossberg ATR 100. They are available in great cal's. and you can get them new for 250.00 - 300.00. I bought one for my step-daughters boyfriend, and he was thrilled. They are not fancy, but they are accurate and get the job done. If you can afford more, then I would start with the Ruger rifles. For their price, you get a lot of quality and reliability. They are very accurate out of the box. From there, it's six of one and half dozen of the other.... in Browning, Remington, etc.... ford or chevy...... I own many different brands, and they all will reliably take an animal.

God Bless

MET

Old 10-01-2008, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have owned 2 $30 Tasco 3x9x40 scopes from Wal-Mart and had them hold up better than my Leupold VX-I after that experience I'm not sure that some cheaper scopes aren't better. The Tasco looked just as clear to me a few buddies said it looked clearer. It didn't have to be sent in for repair after 6 months. It doesn't kise zero everytime it falls over. I just think it's a better scope. I also have a Simmons I paid like $60 for around 4 years ago and I like it a lot too. A lot more than the Leupold. I then have a Burris Fullfield II I just bought but haven't put it on anything to try it yet.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:34 AM

Butch is right and to expand on that I would also suggest a 20 guage shotgun with a fully rifled barrel.

I am sure that your girlfriends family will point you in the right direction though, just some things to consider.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hometheaterman

I have owned 2 $30 Tasco 3x9x40 scopes from Wal-Mart and had them hold up better than my Leupold VX-I after that experience I'm not sure that some cheaper scopes aren't better. The Tasco looked just as clear to me a few buddies said it looked clearer. It didn't have to be sent in for repair after 6 months. It doesn't kise zero everytime it falls over. I just think it's a better scope. I also have a Simmons I paid like $60 for around 4 years ago and I like it a lot too. A lot more than the Leupold. I then have a Burris Fullfield II I just bought but haven't put it on anything to try it yet.
hometheaterman, if I remember correctly you said that you bought the rifle used with the scope. You do not know what abuse that scope went through prior to your ownership. Leupold are great scopes, yes there are tascos that hold up I have one, I bought it before I knew any better, but its a hit or miss. Check around for some really reviews and see how many $30 tascos held up to a rifle with real recoil compared to a Leupold. Go to Midway USA and see the user reviews.

Quick Reply: New to deer hunting, which rifle?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.