Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 buckshot and chokes >

buckshot and chokes

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

buckshot and chokes

Old 09-26-2008, 03:25 PM
Typical Buck

Default buckshot and chokes

whats the best choke to use for 00 buck, i dont know if you can use chokes or just cylinder bore.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: buckshot and chokes

Modified is typically the choke to use with 00 Buck shot.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:43 PM

If i was to get a choke it would either be a kicks buck kicker or a patternmaster. Both throw some amazing patterns
Old 09-26-2008, 05:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just like sighting in a rifle, you need to try your shotgun with different chokes and different brands buckshot...Anything else is just speculation...

My Browning B-80 does best with Winchester Supreme 3 inch Mag 00 buck out of the Improved Cylinder choke...It will keep 5-7 pellets into a 8 1/2 x 11 sheet (turned horizontal) at 40 yards...
Old 09-26-2008, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

For my Mossberg 500 and Remington Wingmaster, 2 3/4" 00 buckshot shot best with a full choke.
Old 09-27-2008, 05:41 PM
Typical Buck

thanks guys, im not really lookin for good patterns, just good enough to hit a coyote thats too close for the scope on my rifle, so id say 20yds tops, and im usin 3.5in winchesters, so they should provide a good punch at that range.
Old 09-27-2008, 05:46 PM
bigcountry

It depends on the gun, ammo, forcing cone, etc, but modied or improved seems to yeild tightest. I have yet to see full work well.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Adirondack Hunter

whats the best choke to use for 00 buck, i dont know if you can use chokes or just cylinder bore.
AS A RULE, buckshot works best in tubes with little, or no choke at all. The reason for this is that the more choke a barrel has, the more the pellets are deformed when they are "scrunched down" to get thru the choke constriction. Deformed pellets fly much more unpredictably than ones that remain round!

That said, the only way to tell for sure what buckshot will do from your chokeis to shoot some of the loads you intend to use at a patterning target to see for yourself what will happen.

Since you are shooting coyotes, this comment does not apply. BUT, to the best of my knowledge, buckshot is illegal for deer hunting in New York, and many other states as well, and for good reason!! Buckshot is a VERY short-range load at best, and more deer have been wounded with buckshot to die later than with any other kind of deer ammo. It is very ineffective, and inhumane!I lived for several years in a county in Virginia where buckshot was the only ammo alowed, and I witnessed so many horrible failures of this ammo that I refused to continue using it, and only hunted in the Blue Ridge counties where rifles were legal. (Can you tell???, I HATE buckshot!!)
Old 09-28-2008, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome back eldequello!! Your experience has definitely been missed around here!! Always enjoy your posts!
Old 09-28-2008, 07:37 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

ORIGINAL: Adirondack Hunter

AS A RULE, buckshot works best in tubes with little, or no choke at all. The reason for this is that the more choke a barrel has, the more the pellets are deformed when they are "scrunched down" to get thru the choke constriction. Deformed pellets fly much more unpredictably than ones that remain round!

That said, the only way to tell for sure what buckshot will do from your chokeis to shoot some of the loads you intend to use at a patterning target to see for yourself what will happen.

Since you are shooting coyotes, this comment does not apply. BUT, to the best of my knowledge, buckshot is illegal for deer hunting in New York, and many other states as well, and for good reason!! Buckshot is a VERY short-range load at best, and more deer have been wounded with buckshot to die later than with any other kind of deer ammo. It is very ineffective, and inhumane!I lived for several years in a county in Virginia where buckshot was the only ammo alowed, and I witnessed so many horrible failures of this ammo that I refused to continue using it, and only hunted in the Blue Ridge counties where rifles were legal. (Can you tell???, I HATE buckshot!!)

I would not say buckshot is ineffective and inhumane. You may have experience as I can see you have been around for quite some time; however, just because you have bad experiences with buckshot doesn't mean that everyone else has as well or ever will. Buckshot serves a purpose with boundaries, and if those boundaries understood then there is not any problem. If your a bad shot that is one boundary (a shotgun isn't a miracle worker), but if you can hold a bead steady without flinching and the range is 25-30 yards then great - it will work...

20 yards on a coyote - it will work well - go for it. Get you a good choke. Patternmaster, Buckkicker or Carlson's Hevi-Shot Dead Coyotoe Choke. Some like Hevi-Shot loads and some don't. I personally do, but again that is my opinion and only valid to me. You will find what works for you.

As far as deer or other game is concerned. If you have the correct load and choke then I don't see a problem with buckshot from 0-30yards. It will work well, but again know your limitations.

I personally like buckshot. BUT I do live in Georgia and we can use it here and have used it for hunting applications for many many many years. I think buckshot in the thickets and briers of Georgia works. I have used a 20gauge Remington 870 for years to kill deer and other game with buckshot without problems or inhumane kills. All of my animals are within 30 yards and I know how my shotgun patterns.

Again to state the original question. Buckshot with a good choke designed for buckshot and Hevi-Shot is what I would use, but any buckshot will work with a good choke...

My3 cents worth................

Quick Reply: buckshot and chokes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.