Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 $600 to spend on a shotgun? >

$600 to spend on a shotgun?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

$600 to spend on a shotgun?

Old 09-27-2008, 05:06 PM
Spike

Default RE: $600 to spend on a shotgun?

Just bought a slightly used Benelli SBE Camo for 600 bucks. Nice shooting gun. I would go the used route is I was you. more gun for the money.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Having not yet tried the Benelli,I have to go with the Browning Gold Hunter .They are excellent shotguns from deer to doves and anything in between. JMHO
Old 09-29-2008, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

All I can comment on is my Remington 870 Super Express Magnum or whatever the one that shots 3 1/2" shells is. I do not like it at all and have had nothing but issues with it. On 2 3/4 shells which it is supposed to be able to shoot it seems to lock up on usually the third shot but not always to where the pump wont move after shooting it. You can't move it to eject it. Usually if you put the stock on the ground and kind of hit on the pump hard it will finally move and eject the shells. It doesn't seem to have this issue with 3" or 3 1/2" shells but it seems to just randomly jam with them. The thing probably jams 5 times out of every 20 shots. Maybe not quite that much but I'd be it's close. I then had a shell explod in the chamber which I think was a bad shell. I quit using Remington shells after that and took it into the gun shop I bought it from and told them the issues. They cleaned it and looked it over and said everything looked fine so they didn't know why it was jamming. This gun has been a piece of junk since I bought it. I Think I want a Benelli Super Black Eagle next time. I tried to save a bit by buying a Remington and it was a mistake. I wish I had just gone ahead and spent the money on a nice gun.

I know several people though that have 870's and all love them. That's why I got mine but I think I got a lemon.

Another guy I hunt with has a Remington 11-87 semi auto. It might not jam as often as mine but that thing seems to want to jam fairly often too. I don't understand how these things jam this often where as I have like my Browning BAR with hundreds of bullets through it since I've had it and never once jammed.

I have started to not like Remington stuff at all. I have several older guns that are fine but this shotgun and then their shells I've had bad luck with.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:32 PM
Spike

Dicks Sporting Goods just had the 11-87 on sale for $540.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:33 PM
Banned

Get a used Beretta 391 or save a few more bucks for it. Softest shooting and most reliable auto out there. Benelli is recoil operated and will give a bit of a beating.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:26 PM

Well thought I would give you an update on my decision. I actually decided to buy a Remington SPR453 that the store I had gift cards to had on sale. They hold a big sale each year during October and I ended up getting it for $318 with tax for a brand new gun. I looked up some reviews of this gun and even though it isn't camo it seems to be an ok gun for what I gave for it. I got a couple of boxes of Winchester Expert Hi Velocity Steel Shoot 3.5 inch #2's to break it in when I get a chance to head over to my dad's. Wal Mart had these shells on sale for $10 a box so they should be ok to break the gun in. I will let you know how it groups up after I get it broke in. On top of it all now I have money to buy myself a new scope for my rifle. Thanks for all your help.

BJ
Old 10-08-2008, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Isn't that the semi-auto with the chrome action? I was looking at that one a little while back. Looks like a great gun for the price.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:09 PM

Yeah, it is the one with the chrome action. Check this video out. This is what sold me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bA5JFrHRTU
Old 10-09-2008, 01:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

i don't know what they run now, but i bought my Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag (camo with no panzy muzzle break) for about $350.00 brand new. it is still my most dependable shotgun. i've shot turkey's, deer and hogs with it and it has been flawless. no jams or malfunctions even when it's been dropped in the sand, used as a paddle and used to beat cotton mouths away in the swamp. i shoot the 3 1/2" rounds out of it when i use it for deer, turkey or hogs and 3" rounds for dove. the ONLY improvement i done to mine was put fiber optic sights on it. i've had it for over 10 years and firmly believe i'll never buy another shotgun because it is undestructible.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:39 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

i don't know what they run now, but i bought my Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag (camo with no panzy muzzle break) for about $350.00 brand new. it is still my most dependable shotgun. i've shot turkey's, deer and hogs with it and it has been flawless. no jams or malfunctions even when it's been dropped in the sand, used as a paddle and used to beat cotton mouths away in the swamp. i shoot the 3 1/2" rounds out of it when i use it for deer, turkey or hogs and 3" rounds for dove. the ONLY improvement i done to mine was put fiber optic sights on it. i've had it for over 10 years and firmly believe i'll never buy another shotgun because it is undestructible.
Yes Sir, right on!.............I have had the 835 "Camo Combo" for 10 years now and have had no problems....

Quick Reply: $600 to spend on a shotgun?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.