HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Remington Cor-Loct vs. Hornady SST (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/264110-remington-cor-loct-vs-hornady-sst.html)

Dozen Arrows 09-24-2008 05:54 AM

RE: Remington Cor-Loct vs. Hornady SST

Uh, isn't a core loct more comparable with their boat tail soft point?

skeeter 7MM 09-25-2008 12:34 AM

ORIGINAL: Dozen Arrows

Uh, isn't a core loct more comparable with their boat tail soft point?
The Hornady InterlockSP & Corelokt are both flat base soft pointed bullets.

Dozen Arrows 09-25-2008 07:53 AM

Ok that makes more sense. I think the SST's are more like a premium round.

falcon 09-25-2008 05:02 PM

I'll put it to you this way. Any time I get a new rifle, the first ammo I try is Cor-Lok. If I can't get decent groups, I switch to something else. 30-30, 30-06, 270, 280...all green boxes. Cant argue with them. Shoot great.

JMoody85 05-07-2020 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by markminer (Post 2977727)
The great ammo debate continues...Just got my first rifle and after asking around the Remington Cor-Loct and Hornady SST seem to be the favorites. Looking to load Savage 111 bolt action 30.06 for deer and pigs. My choice of grain will most likely be 150-165.
Mark

It honestly depends on what you're target distance is. Hornady's biggest selling point is superior accuracy. But if you're never taking shots greater than 100 yards that superior accuracy is a difference of three-quarters of an inch which really isn't that big of a deal on an animal the size of a deer. If you're looking at 100-300 yards the SSTs will outperform the Core-lokts every time considering that Hornady uses a more accurate projectile mixed with more consistent and higher quality powder loads. Furthermore, on those longer range shots the lead spire point on the Core-lokts will deform and degrade the performance at a much faster rate than the polymer tips of the SSTs. The final notable difference is that the SSTs are more expensive. So if the pricing is a big point for you, the Core-lokt would be the better choice of the 2, although at that point I would ask that you look at Hornady's spire point line of bullets. All this information aside, the biggest key is that when you decide on the ammo that you want to use, make sure to use the same ammo to sight your rifle in as you will be using when you go hunting. If you decide that you want to change ammo in the future, you will also need to resight in your rifle for the new ammo to truly get the best performance out of it.

Valorius 05-08-2020 11:11 AM

At this point we should be asking which bullet is better for killing zombies. Which is appropriate, because the last post before JMoody's is about the time frame when the zombie craze actually started.

Bocajnala 05-08-2020 11:35 AM

I use allot of core-lokts, but for zombies the SST is the correct answer for sure.

Should work very well.

-Jake

Nomercy448 05-08-2020 12:59 PM

I usually would shun necroposting and abstain from responding, but there are a few objective claims I can’t help but question.

Originally Posted by JMoody85 (Post 4375228)
If you're looking at 100-300 yards the SSTs will outperform the Core-lokts every time considering that Hornady uses a more accurate projectile mixed with more consistent and higher quality powder loads.

Do you have reference for these statements? I’m exceptionally intrigued to read a evidence which confirms these two claims - stating 1) Remington uses objectively lower quality powder than Hornady in their factory ammo, and 2) Hornady loads the SST product lines to an objectively higher consistency than Remington. Naturally, this second statement could be a consistency in powder composition, such I expect gas chromatograms would be required as evidence, or it could be considered a consistency of powder charge weight, which would require a simple statistical analysis of large batches of ammo. Of course, neither would prove an increased consistency in burn rate or efficacy in real-world rifles, as a highly consistent charge weight loaded at an anti-node for a barrel mag not shot as well as a relatively variable charge weight lot which is matched to the node.

Originally Posted by JMoody85 (Post 4375228)
Furthermore, on those longer range shots the lead spire point on the Core-lokts will deform and degrade the performance at a much faster rate than the polymer tips of the SSTs.

This part is patently false. Lead has a higher melting point than most injection molding polymers, such as those included in the SST tips. The ELD’s will rival or reportedly exceed the thermal tolerance of lead, but the SST’s don’t use the Heat Shield(TM) tips used in the ELD lines. The ELD line was created to help close a gap which had existed for Hornady - their most consistent, highest BC product lines were losing aerodynamic advantage at long range, such they were losing out to conventional cup and core BTHP’s. So they developed the ELD Heat Shield tip (and now the A-Tips) to jump them back up into the game. Hornady even acknowledges in their FAQ section that the SST is meant for 0-400yrd hunting, such it doesn’t earn the Heat Shield tips.

But I’m earnestly on the edge of my seat to hear substantiating evidence that Hornady uses higher quality and higher consistency powders. Such evidence could be a stake in the heart of one of Remington’s few surviving business units, although I don’t expect it would bolster Hornady’s already favorable market share.

Valorius 05-08-2020 01:11 PM

I don't get the disdain for zombie aka necro threads. The internet is a living thing that is still going to be here in 100 years (most likely). Instead of having 100 smaller threads over a century, might as well just have one century long thread. It would be awesome to watch how thoughts and opinions change over many decades.

Vive la Zombie threads!

Ridge Runner 05-08-2020 01:53 PM

cor-locts suk, that's my experience, the sst's are a bit better, want good bullets shoot nosler BT's, accubonds, or bergers
RR