HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Ruger rifle opinions (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/264066-ruger-rifle-opinions.html)

schoolcraft 09-20-2008 10:49 AM

Ruger rifle opinions

I'm finding that I'm more of a fan of the mauser type actions on rifles, and I'm thinkin of buying a Ruger.

Either the left handed wood/blued Hawkeye or the left handed stainless/laminated.

Still trying to decide on caliber, but it would be for whitetail deer and hogs.

Just curious what the folks that own them or have used them think of Ruger rifles.

Rammer 09-20-2008 11:05 AM

RE: Ruger rifle opinions

They are good rifles. The triggers leave a bit to be desired, other than that they are probably one of the "higher" quality rifles you can buy today.

schoolcraft 09-20-2008 11:18 AM

I'm also wondering if there stock design is any better or worse at helping soak up recoil.

For instance, if I want to get the rifle in .300 Win. Mag. would the Ruger have any more "felt" recoil than say a Remington CDL or XCR? Or Browning A-Bolt?

Just curious

Rebel Hog 09-20-2008 11:25 AM

ORIGINAL: schoolcraft

I'm finding that I'm more of a fan of the mauser type actions on rifles, and I'm thinkin of buying a Ruger.

Either the left handed wood/blued Hawkeye or the left handed stainless/laminated.

Still trying to decide on caliber, but it would be for whitetail deer and hogs.

Just curious what the folks that own them or have used them think of Ruger rifles.

I sold the Ruger M77 .270 & Ruger M77 7mmMag and kept the 6.5mmSwede and the Ruger M77 S.S. Lam .243

TexasBowHunter 09-20-2008 11:27 AM

I have 6 of the M77 models and love all of them. I have never had an issue with triggers but then again all I have ever done with them is hunt. I am not into major competition or anything like that, then again maybe I just don't know enough to know that the triggers are not all that.
I just bought a new rifle this year and wound up going with the VT model in a 25/06and couldn't be happier with a rifle, the trigger on this gun is about4 lbs and ispretty crisp from Ruger...Good luck with your decision,I wouldn't hesitate buying another in a minute...

nchawkeye 09-20-2008 11:30 AM

I have one in .243, one of my brothers has one in .270...No problems...

BigTiny 09-20-2008 12:35 PM

I don't know much about their rifles, but their handguns have a good reputation for durability. The ones I have handled have felt like they were well-made.

Jacob Garrett 09-20-2008 02:30 PM

I got a NIB 77 synthetic, stainless, 270 short mag. and I will NEVER buy another Ruger. I went thru 3 sets of rings, 3 scopes(2 leupold,1 burris), and a dozen trips to the gun shop and it still shot like crap. The gun shop sent the gun off twice and the Ruger service guys said it was acceptable. The gun wouldn't put 3 shots on a paper plate at 100yds out of a vice. The Ruger guys kept saying it was the rings, then the scope till the shop owner informed themhe shot the gun after heinstalled 3 sets of rings with 3 different scopes and the gun still wouldn't shoot straight. The store owner gave me my money back and I bought a Rem.700 300 Win. mag from him that will put 3 under an inch at 100yds The store owner adjusted the trigger for free for all the trouble with the Ruger. I know there is a chance of getting a lemon with anything but when Ruger refused to fix it and said it was acceptable that was the end of Ruger for me. If a 3 shot group of 8 inches is acceptable I don't know what it would take to be unacceptable but Ruger wouldNOT stand behind there product at all.

Pawildman 09-20-2008 05:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Jacob Garrett

I got a NIB 77 synthetic, stainless, 270 short mag. and I will NEVER buy another Ruger. I went thru 3 sets of rings, 3 scopes(2 leupold,1 burris), and a dozen trips to the gun shop and it still shot like crap. The gun shop sent the gun off twice and the Ruger service guys said it was acceptable. The gun wouldn't put 3 shots on a paper plate at 100yds out of a vice. The Ruger guys kept saying it was the rings, then the scope till the shop owner informed themhe shot the gun after heinstalled 3 sets of rings with 3 different scopes and the gun still wouldn't shoot straight. The store owner gave me my money back and I bought a Rem.700 300 Win. mag from him that will put 3 under an inch at 100yds The store owner adjusted the trigger for free for all the trouble with the Ruger. I know there is a chance of getting a lemon with anything but when Ruger refused to fix it and said it was acceptable that was the end of Ruger for me. If a 3 shot group of 8 inches is acceptable I don't know what it would take to be unacceptable but Ruger wouldNOT stand behind there product at all.
Sorry you've had such a bad experience with the Ruger 77. I've owned quite a few of them over the years, and have never experienced what you went through. That would be enough to put a bad taste in anyone's mouth.
One of the best shooting .270's with factory ammo I had was a bone-stock 77. Kind of wish I still owned that gun today
Guess what I want to say is yes, you're right....it's possible to get a lemon with almost anything, but the "customer service" you received was just totally unacceptable. No doubt about it.

Hurricanespg 09-20-2008 07:53 PM

They make a nice quality rifle, as mentioned before the triggers leave a bit to be desired but that is not anything that can't be fixed. If you pick one up I don't think you will be dissapointed.