Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Ruger rifle opinions >

Ruger rifle opinions

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger rifle opinions

Old 09-20-2008, 08:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Ruger rifle opinions

Thanks for all the replies.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm wondering if the stock design is as good as other brands for soaking up recoil.

I've enjoyed reading all the posts recently about "favorite elk calibers". Several of the members posted that when you get into the magnum realm of calibers that the "FIT" and "DESIGN" of the rifle has a lot to do with recoil or percieved recoil.

Anyone who could explain this a little better and tell me where the Ruger's stock rank with the other companies would be appreciated.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

The newer Ruger rifles have much improved triggers. I have had a couple dozen Ruger rifles, only one was not near perfect. I had one in 260 that gave me a lot of problems caused by the chamber being a bit to short. I didn't feel like modifying the loads so I swapped it off. I have never had any trouble with their customer service but I have not needed it much. The ones that don't shoot well can usually be fixed by a good bedding job. Sometimes the angled forend screw needs a little expiermenting with the tension.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:15 AM
Spike

I too have had and seen the quality off the Rugers, am considering another soon.
But there was a tyme when they where'nt getting good reveiws. Back in the mid to late 90's i think they may have had some problems with their quality. NO gun maker is 100%, but i would hope they would stand behind it,especialy if their American made.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:13 AM
Typical Buck

I am in the same boat as you. I am a Mauser fan so naturally Ia fan ofthe Ruger. I own several of them and they all do a great job. I love my 243 Frontier and my SS 77 MarkII in 22 250. I installed a Timney trigger myself on 22 250 and will continue to do that on any rifle I get in the future.I will be buying a new Ruger Ultra light in 30 06 for my high country deer/elk gun... it's 6.5 pounds, and SS.
If I was in your boat I think I would look at that gun impaticular. Do a google search on Ruger Ulra light 30-06 you will find it.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love Ruger rifles they fit me best out of any other I have handeld and with a little work my shots sub moa. Its an al weather stainless stealin .270 win,I floated the barrel and had a $60 triger job and this is how it shoots now.

I am not disappointed in the ruger one bit infact since I did some of the work I am actually more proud of the rifle.