Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 How young is too young to shoot a gun? >

How young is too young to shoot a gun?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

How young is too young to shoot a gun?

Old 09-18-2008, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How young is too young to shoot a gun?

ORIGINAL: NBDeerHunter

I am glad you posted this. my 3 kids are going to be 3 in Jan.....I was thinking once they start school would be a good time to introduce them to a BB gun....There mom is not happy about this idea at all....Her nephew is now 10 and I can't teach him yet....
any thoughts on changing someones opinion
TRIPLETS??? Holy cow good luck!
Old 09-18-2008, 11:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Shdwlkr ...god bless you sounds like you are a great dad and have a great family
Old 09-18-2008, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

I shot first around the age of two....but actually holding the gun and all on my own I was four. WHen I was five I was allowed to "hunt birds" with my BB gun. Start out with a .22 and close supervision three or four years old will be ok.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:54 PM
Fork Horn

my four year old killed 4 deer with his .223 last year. he knows better than to even look at the gun if I'm not with him.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:16 PM
Fork Horn

As soon as a kid can wipe his/her own but they are old enough.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

bigangrychickenx2 on knowing better than to look ata gin w/out me. I staryted my daughter on the Daisy route when she was 5, we have grown since then and we are now shooting 22. at 10. She likes to sit in the stands but isn't real sure about killing part. That's fine w/me, I got a decent camera, food, my daughter sharing time w/me and understanding the sport;.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:58 AM
Typical Buck

I got a 410 when I was 3 at 11 I was swinging a Mod.12 12ga and an 06' at 12 . My Dad andGrandfather and I were always hunting or off to the trap range till I was about 6 things dried up a little .Life got in the way I guess we moved about 4 times. Starting all over again at10 was harsh too be sure .

That said my 4 went to the range shooting , hunts when I was "on the move" from the time they were 7,5,4,3 . the oldest 2 were about 5 and 3 when I started them but life got in the way for a year or so .

I'd say if the kid is old enough to grasp the consept of "if you bang your head on the table edge or bottom it hurts and this tiny little package in this tube will shread a hole big enough for your whole armthrough a table top all the way down the hallway " that's old enough .

Anyway it worked for me . The Seals won't let my daughter (SeaBee's) qualify w the 45 (5 in the x body 3 in the head 25yards 5 seconds) because she scared them . The baby qualified in the Army asMarksman(?) w the AR right and left handed and scored no misses with the M-9 . Both missed Sniper by less than 5 points . The oldest shoots perfect scores when qualifing for his duty CCW w/M-9 and riot M-500 . The last is just not in to it at all total natural archer and shooter she pops pill bottles at the 50 w/ 22s every time she goes and has just 1 pin on her Martin compound and that keeps her inside 6" from 20-60 yards 3" when she's really focused .
Old 09-19-2008, 12:20 PM

I gota daisy bb gun when I was 3. I learned to shoot by plunking pop cans in the back yard all day. I started going goose hunting with my dad when I was about 7yrs old using a .410 shotgun which I still have today. (recently refurbished it too)

I believe it depends on the kid. If your kid has behavior problems I would wait on it. Other wise I don't see any harm in giving a bb gun rifle to a youngster coherant enough and big enough to operate it. as with anything the younger you learn the better. My dad was big on keeping the gun on safe at all times so that is something I am now overley cautious about. It's good to engrain these things at a young age so they stay there for life.

btw, once I wanted to see whata bb shotfelt like so I put my finger on the end of the bbl and shot my finger. fortunately the bb didn't go in very deep& I learned a valuable lesson that day, as did my parents. Don't leave the bb gun where your kid can reach it, after he learns to use it he will think he is ready to do it allby himself, naturaly.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:03 PM

ORIGINAL: mauser06

good advice salukipv....

every child if different. i know some very young kids that are more responsible and id let shoot a gun than many adults or teenagers etc.

i know i was shooting a BB gun with dad at probably 3 or so...wasnt long after i was shooting the 22. remember dad put a 38 special in a full sized 357mag for me to shoot...i was pretty danged young....but i was hooked

by the time i was 12 i was shooting a 308 and 12ga. actually liked the 12 more than my small, light single shot 20ga and got a 12ga when i was 13 i believe.

but no matter what, its always a great idea to keep guns and ammo away from children...i know thats probably "common sense" but "common sense" aint so common...so dont be offended...i just rather say it and hope its followed. saftey is always the most important issue at hand.

i was brought up differently than most kids...i was doing things at ages muccccch younger before most kids would EVER get the chance...i was always around firearms and always will be. different kids mature at different ages...teaching them young can help things...but if you find out they are "too much of a kid" IMO its safer to pull the plugs than to let them keep shooting and such...

it was a REAL long time before i was EVER allowed to shoot my pellet gun without dad standing over my shoulder. then it was even longer before i was allowed to shoot it when he wasnt outside with me...had a safe large area to shoot...but dad was careful with me. he also took me to the woods to shoot...or private ranges we were the only ones at...never went to a range with others until i was older. just easier to teach, instruct, and no distractions for the youth....
I was had my first bb gun when i was three, and at that time i wasnt aloud to shoot by myself, but when i was like 7-8 my parents said if i was ever caught shooting unsafely i would never shoot again, so guess what i new not to and i didnt, i was aloud to shoot by myself when i was 7 but that was a bb gun, i shot my first shotgun when i was 10, but my bb gun was always in my room, but i guess some kids are different, i see kids i would never even think of letting them hold a bb gun, but everyone is differnt, but back to your question i would 3yrs would be the youngest.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:09 PM

Before reading anyone else's post I want to say that it all depends on the child. If the child will follow directions and the gun will fit him/her, then I'd say go for it. I have a 5 year old and a 2 year old.Both boys, not that that really matters. I have tried to let my oldest fire a 22 once and didn't like how that went so we're going to wait a while. I realize I was probably rushing things with him, but I just can't wait to have my little hunting buddy drop his first deer

Quick Reply: How young is too young to shoot a gun?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.