Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Savage, Ruger, or Marlin in a 10/22? >

Savage, Ruger, or Marlin in a 10/22?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Savage, Ruger, or Marlin in a 10/22?

Old 09-18-2008, 04:38 PM
Spike

Default RE: Savage, Ruger, or Marlin in a 10/22?

ORIGINAL: TexasBowHunter

I vote Ruger 10/22 as well. I have 5 different .22 rifles (bolt, pump, and auto)and the 10/22 is my favorite butI have tricked it out too. Thats the other thing I really like about the 10/22, they have literally a ton of after market stuff for them...The only thing left stock on mine is the action and it too has some springs and pins in it....
What did you do to it? Do you have any pictures?
Old 09-18-2008, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, here you go....Barell, trigger, firing spring, sear and stock!!! I shoot this gun in 100yd competitions every year and some of the other guys have some $3000 dollar guns and this one shoots just as good as those...I have about1/5th of thatin this one...

Old 09-18-2008, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Johnny, the possibilities are endless with these guns. Here's where I got most of my stuff: www.volquartsen.com

If you just do a search for ruger 10/22 accessories you will see what I am talking about...Tons of stuff out there for them..Good luck with your decision...
Old 09-18-2008, 06:23 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: TexasBowHunter

Yeah, here you go....Barell, trigger, firing spring, sear and stock!!! I shoot this gun in 100yd competitions every year and some of the other guys have some $3000 dollar guns and this one shoots just as good as those...I have about1/5th of thatin this one...

If you did all that, what was left that was original? Sounds like a whole different gun.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buy the 10/22. I guarantee you will not be sorry. I like the stainless ones.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm usually very wary of recommending a semi-auto to a new shooter, regardless of their age. The old rule "treat every firearm as if it were loaded REALLY means something with semi-autos, I've on more than one occasion had someone eject the chambered round, let the bolt ride forward, and hand it to me thinking they'd "unloaded" it (not realizing that with the magazine still in the weapon, the bolt picked up another round when it rode forward).

The 10/22 is otherwise an outstanding rifle. But, you're going to need to establish some discipline with the kids (and yourself) to keep everyone safe. When you're done shooting, or handing the rifle off to another shooter, make sure you unload it:

1) REMOVE THE MAGAZINE FROM THE WEAPON

2) Pull the bolt back, eject the chambered round

3) Inspect the chamber to make double-sure it's empty

4) On rifles with a bolt hold-open device, engage it

5) Carefully pass it to the next shooter, mindful always of where the muzzle is pointed

Might also think about getting everyone into a hunter safety course.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:36 AM

ORIGINAL: johnnyHunts

just so I get it right. It's just called Ruger 10/22 right? I called the local store d i c k's sporting goods and they said it was just called the Ruger 10/22 with no other model numbers and it was $199. Thanks.
Unfortunately, many of the workers behind gun counters at large sporting goods stores, especially ones that sell all kinds of other than outdoor sporting goods, like D i c k ' s, don't know much about the guns they're selling.

Yes, the rifle is called the Ruger 10/22, but there are many configurations and/or model numbers available.Below isan online store that shows at least nine models. I too like the stainless ones.

http://gob.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/36_59_79

Heck, it looks like the Ruger page shows over 20 models.

http://ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdResu...amp;type=Rifle
Old 09-19-2008, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

First what are your intended purposes for the gun. Are you planning on hunting squirrel, etc with it or just plinking. Many states won't let you hunt with an autoloader and restricts you manually loading actions like a bolt, lever or pump. A 10-22 is a fine gun just make sure that you can hunt with is legally before buying it if that is what your getting it for.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:45 PM
Spike

I finally went and found all three together in one place. I know this might offend somone, but after holding them in my hands, not firing, I liked the Savage Mark II XP (bolt), Ruger 10/22, then the Marlin 60. The savage just felt the best in my hands.I liked the ruger, but for whatever reason I just like the savage better. The Marlin was the most surprising. It felt flimsy. I could see why it costs less than any of the others. I cannot see myself purchasing the Marlin (again, no offense.) I really don't care anything about after market tinkering, and I want a bolt, so no ruger for now. So I think it's got to be the savage right now. Thanks for all your help and I reserve the right to change my inexperienced decision on all of this
Old 09-22-2008, 08:10 PM
Fork Horn

I have exactly one buttload of .22's..
and the vast majority of them Ruger 10/22's

for the money, it's hard to beat.
don't be afraid to go a little wacky and get a different model, either..
like my RSI

Quick Reply: Savage, Ruger, or Marlin in a 10/22?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.