Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Savage, Ruger, or Marlin in a 10/22? >

Savage, Ruger, or Marlin in a 10/22?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Savage, Ruger, or Marlin in a 10/22?

Old 09-17-2008, 09:38 PM
Spike

Default Savage, Ruger, or Marlin in a 10/22?

Does it matter? I am looking at the Marlin 925C and the Savage Mark II Camo.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/BoltAction22/925C.asp

http://www.savagearms.com/markiicamo.htm

I like and have heard good about both. Just wanted more input. About the only big difference I saw was the Savage had a banana shapedmagazine that held 10 rounds, and the Marlin had a 7 and straight magazine.

Are there other magazines that can be bought besides the stock ones that come with the rifles so this is a non-issue?

Is the any disadvantage to getting the camo versions of weapons?

update: I also saw this one so I threw it in even though it's not bolt action (I still don't know which is better):

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=1173&return=Y

Thanks.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:36 AM

Default RE: Savage, Ruger, or Marlin in a 10/22?

Hard to beat the Ruger 10/22. It's kind of like the old Chevy 350 V8.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:57 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: kry226

Hard to beat the Ruger 10/22. It's kind of like the old Chevy 350 V8.
I have read a lot of people like the Ruger. I have seen it in forum after forum. I think that I just don't like the non-bolt part. For whatever reason it isn't as visually appealing as the bolt and that's a dumb reason probably, but it's the truth. I looked at the Ruger at Dick's yesterday, and it was just odd looking to me (that flat metal top looks odd.) I think I have this mental picture of rifles having a bolt. I have no idea why nor do I know why that should matter. I have almost no real reason why I would prefer one over the other except that I have read the bolt is more accurate. I like that there are a lot of after market parts for the Ruger, but I don't know what I'd modify. I like that with a bolt you have to make that one shot count.

The Ruger 10/22 is cheaper and lighter, which I did like. The Savage .22 that I held (several of them) were much heavier than I expected, at least compared to the Ruger. I think the Ruger was around $180. I just looks cheap to me and I don't mean that offensive. I'm willing to change and appreciate the weapon.

I read two other things that interested me. One was a guy who had a kid that couldn't do the bolt for whatever reason. I didn't think they were that hard to use, but I'm older. The other comment was that gun X, don't remember, magazine dug into their back while they were carrying it. That could move me towars the Ruger because of the smallermagazine form factor and the easy of not having a bolt.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

you will love the ruger if you get it. My dad bought one years ago, then when I was born bought it as my first birthday gift type deal.... I've been shooting it constantly since I was five. I have no idea how many rounds have been put through it, and it is still dead accurate. Just got a squirrel with it on tuesday from 35 yards, right through the head. It is not only a great hunting rifle but it is so fun and cheap to shoot! Go with the 10/22~!
-Jake
Old 09-18-2008, 10:30 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: Bocajnala

you will love the ruger if you get it. My dad bought one years ago, then when I was born bought it as my first birthday gift type deal.... I've been shooting it constantly since I was five. I have no idea how many rounds have been put through it, and it is still dead accurate. Just got a squirrel with it on tuesday from 35 yards, right through the head. It is not only a great hunting rifle but it is so fun and cheap to shoot! Go with the 10/22~!
-Jake
So the bolt, in and of itself, means nothing to you? Just asking trying to figure it all out.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

My vote is for the ruger 10/22. There's a ton of aftermarket products for it on the market,you'll never wear it out,very reliable,you can get extra capacity magazines for it,and you can personalize it any way you want.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

no, I love bolt action, and have a few .22's that are bolt. But You will love the 10/22. To me, for the price it is the best gun I have ever bought. I can shoot it all day for cheap. If you want, you can basically customize it as far as your wallet will let you. We have three in our house right now, and I am thinking about buying another one and putting a hand crank on the trigger. it is just the best .22 out there for the price...and it is very accurate out of the box.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:39 PM

Let me add that there are a number of very good looking configurations that the 10/22 can be bought in as well. Stocks, finishes, barrels, etc.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:52 PM
Spike

just so I get it right. It's just called Ruger 10/22 right? I called the local store d i c k's sporting goods and they said it was just called the Ruger 10/22 with no other model numbers and it was $199. Thanks.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I vote Ruger 10/22 as well. I have 5 different .22 rifles (bolt, pump, and auto)and the 10/22 is my favorite butI have tricked it out too. Thats the other thing I really like about the 10/22, they have literally a ton of after market stuff for them...The only thing left stock on mine is the action and it too has some springs and pins in it....

Quick Reply: Savage, Ruger, or Marlin in a 10/22?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.