Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 .223 for whitetails? >

.223 for whitetails?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.223 for whitetails?

Old 09-16-2008, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: .223 for whitetails?

we kill bucks that big up here but i wouldnt want to use a 223 on them. yea they could work but the chances of wounding one or killing it and not finding it are much higher. small holes and often no exit w/ the 223 mean tough blood trail. i prefer the 06 whelen and 350 mag. the shots are never text book and i wouldnt want to take a shot at a buck runnin away w/ a 223 myslef. food for thought though, a friend of the family has killed several over 200 w/ his 222. all one shot kills......
Old 09-16-2008, 03:26 PM
Dominant Buck

FL minimum is .243...............I can kill Deer effectively all day long with .22LR at under 75 yards.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

lol cuz up here you seldom get to tuck one in the lungs RR. re-read my post,

"shots are never text book and i wouldnt want to take a shot at a buck running away w/ a 223 myself"

a good exit hole DOES help w/ a good blood trail.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:40 PM

I never said a 223 couldn't make a shoulder shot, it's just not one I'm going to take. Just personal taste. Kind of like hunting deer with a 223.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:16 AM

ORIGINAL: BigTiny

I used a .223 to take my first buck a couple of years ago. He only ran about 30 yards. Other than that, I have only shot it at things that shoot back. I got no complaints.

I know this is off topic, but I for one just want to say "thank you" for serving your country and putting your life on the line while we sit at home and try to live our lives.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:45 AM

We hunt just across the Minnesota border in Ontario Canada....big woods and big bucks...we use .30-06.....223 could work with proper placement but running big bucks and thick bush would make me feel undergunned with a .223....Yeah, big northern bucks are tough....we all know correct shot placement (in the eye) with a .22 would bring down a grizzly.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:12 AM
Fork Horn

Sorry nchawkeye,I did go back to your previous postandyou did address the shoulder shot question. Thanks.

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

ORIGINAL: Hunting the North

Thanks XPatriot, you are the only one that answered my question concerning a shoulder shot.

That sounds like the anti-gun people when they ask why you need a gun in the first place. 223 will kill anything you shoot with it, so long as you hit it right, just like any other round. I don't think I would try a high shoulder shot with it, but other than that, it's a good round for anything walking around in North America.
[/quote]

Go back and read my post...I believe I mentioned my niece taking high shoulder shots...
[/quote]
Old 09-17-2008, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I vote no for using a 223 on the big northern whitetails that we have around here. I did an experiment a few years back shooting 60gr Nosler Partitions pushed to max velocity out of my 223, I shot large does (160-180lb). At the shot, there was no sign of a hit or the solid ThhhWack that I'm acustomed to hearing, the deer all ran 100+ yards before getting jittery and tipping over. These were all double lung shots, on standing deer, no farther than 175 yards. I only anchored one doe in its tracks with the 223, that was a headshot.

Like Skybuster said, how often does everyone get text book shots. I know where I hunt you'd have an empty freezer the majority of the time if you weren't taking a running shot, or long range shots.

As for whoever said the bow comment an being stranded, I'll take my bow over my 223.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

ORIGINAL: skybuster20ga

lol cuz up here you seldom get to tuck one in the lungs RR. re-read my post,

"shots are never text book and i wouldnt want to take a shot at a buck running away w/ a 223 myself"

a good exit hole DOES help w/ a good blood trail.
and I get flamed for taking high percentage shots beyound normal range!!!
RR
well i cant hel;p that but up here you wouldnt be killin much of anyhting if you didnt shoot at runnin bucks and just tuck one in him somewheres. heck, if we can track them down and shoot them im sure i can track him if hes bleedin. also i will say that w/ my whelens and 350's the heavy bullet most always penitrate deep enough to get some of the goodies.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:49 PM
Fork Horn

Careful. I stated that I did not agree with the 223 and got compared to gun control liberals

Quick Reply: .223 for whitetails?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.