Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Go ahead, brag on your Savage....... >

Go ahead, brag on your Savage.......

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Go ahead, brag on your Savage.......

Old 09-15-2008, 10:36 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Go ahead, brag on your Savage.......

Rifle Loonyyou’re an idiot. Stop with the controversy. It's just showing how juvenile you are. I shoot Remington rifles. I have also shot Savages, nothing wrong with them. You just like starting crap to see how far it will go.

As far as 'out of the box' My Remington shot a .30" group the first4 pulls of the trigger. (Well actually 2nd,3rd,4th) The first one hit the target stand. Bad bore site. That is the God honest truth. Since I have had the trigger adjusted to 3.5 lbs. The groups are usually around .25" @ 100 yds.

Bottom line-----------------Remington and Savage are excellent shooters. And to say one company is better than the other is stupid. Some people have personal preference. Just that preference!

Old 09-15-2008, 01:20 PM

ORIGINAL: #40Fan

Junk Savage at 100 yards. 5 shot groups.
I hate you AND your girlfriend! [8D]
Old 09-15-2008, 03:08 PM

ORIGINAL: Colorado Luckydog

ORIGINAL: Doe Dumper

I dont even start breaking a barrel in until I get the trigger where I want it. Makes ALL the diff.
It took me a while to learn that, but it finally sunk in. I won't even shoot a rifle until I'm done with the trigger. It's just a waist of ammo.
What is it about the trigger? I know the rifles I used at work had trigger jobs done, but my personal firearms all have stock triggers on them. There is very little discernible difference in the end result on the target. The stock ones don't feel as nice, but other than that...
Old 09-15-2008, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BigTiny

I dont even start breaking a barrel in until I get the trigger where I want it. Makes ALL the diff.
It took me a while to learn that, but it finally sunk in. I won't even shoot a rifle until I'm done with the trigger. It's just a waist of ammo.
What is it about the trigger? I know the rifles I used at work had trigger jobs done, but my personal firearms all have stock triggers on them. There is very little discernible difference in the end result on the target. The stock ones don't feel as nice, but other than that...

...Wow..........
Old 09-15-2008, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wasn't going to post on this thread, but this is something I can contribute to.

Having a finely tuned trigger definately takes alot of the "work" out of shooting good groups for me. Everyone has their preferences, mine is a finely tuned trigger in the 2.5-2.75# range. I can shoot very good groups with a stock trigger, but it also requires alot more effort for me to do so. For a hunting rifle a trigger job is'nt necessary, but for guys who punch alot of paper and do alot of load development it takes alot of human error out of the equation.

As for the Remington/Savage debate. Compare a Remington 700 SPS to any of the equal priced Savages, and see what gun has better fit/finish/trigger.

I used to be "anti-Savage" then I bought one after all the hype I've heard on here. One thing i will say, it didn't take any work to shoot some very small groups with it. Then again, all my other guns shoot very small groups.

To each his own, end of debate.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Rifle Loony, I own3 center fireRemingtons and zero Savages. A stainless .338 RUM in an HSPrecision stockthat will shoot .8", a 30-06 synthetic ADLthat will shoot .75, and a .243 ADL that will shoot .5"..... all with factory ammo and nothing more than trigger jobs done to them.

But your thread is seriously laughable. If you are going to make a statment like you did with this thread then don't insultour intelligence andat least do us allthecourtesy of comparing an OTB Remington to an OTB Savage or any other rifle(s) that you want to compare.

This riflehas abone stock action, and has only been lapped at the lugs, nothing more than what a bunch of years of cranking the bolt would have done.
Then it isn't bone stock is it? Lapping the lugs properly can, all by itself, greatly improve accuracy by increasing hte contact patch between the lugs and receiver.

This rifle has a bone stock trigger, X Mark Pro, IMHO the best factory trigger on the planet...and has been adjusted to 1 1/4 pounds.
Again, not bone stock.A modified stock trigger at the least.

This rifle has a factory barrel, set back one turn and punched AI. Not "stock", true due to the chambering, but it's still in the same 20 inch configuration it was bought as and the rifling/crown itself is no more no less than factory issued.
Whichforced your gunsmith tocompletelycut a brand new chamber inyour barrel, true theface of the receiver and the barrels torque shoulderand perfectly set headspace and hand polish the chamber which is a far cry from a production chamber.

A rifle stock is a rifle stock,
Now you are just trying to blow smoke up every ones butts. Not even close!

Since I bed everything I own anyway it was only natural to bed this barreled action into a McMillan.
Again a far cry from factory wood or plastic which isn't bedded at all. We all know how much accuracy can be improved upon by simply bedding a factory stock much less a $300+ Mc Millan.

A rifle needs good mounts and good glass, and if thattakes it out of your realm of "factory" just becauseit wears a Leupy and set of Talley LW's then sobe it....ride yourBushnell/Weaver combofull speed ahead.
Are you serious? Brother, by the time you placed the scope and rings on the gun you were so far from factory it isn't funny.

The point of this post was not to say that Savages don't shoot well, it was to say that the factory Remmy action/barrel/trigger assembly DOES shoot....something I hearis impossible from many Savage guys.
Well IF you had a factory Remington assembly, which, by no strech of the imagination do you have.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I ownfour 700's, and one Savage. I like them all. I'm not a Savage nut, but I like the one I got and would not sell it right now. I really like my accu trigger. I'm more of a Remington fan, and I still think this post is very silly. To say my gun is better than yours reminds, me of a bunch of kids, but it is very entertaining! Please keep up your foolishness riflelooney!

Notice the four Remington 700's, and the Remington 870 slug gun. Only one Savage, in .223,it's a shooter! I'm happy with all my rifles.

Old 09-16-2008, 04:03 AM

What's silly is, I post a picture and a couple of follow ups, and it generates 6 pages of driveling nonsense in defense of the worst rifle design on the planet.

People crack me up........

What's disturbing is, I post that picture elsewhere on the www and folks just want to talk ballistics and gear.

This should be good for a couple more pages, at least................
Old 09-16-2008, 07:31 AM

ORIGINAL: Pawildman

...Wow..........
Wow is right. Triggers, custom barrels and handloads don't mean a lot to BT. He seems to be able to shoot anything he puts his gorilla hands on. I have never seen anything like it. I've known the guy over 20 years, and he is the best natural shooter I have ever seen, and I have seen a few. So take what he says with a grain of salt. Most of us, myself included, have to work at it.

As for the whole Rem. vs. Savage thing, all I know is what I have seen, and there doesn't seem to be much difference. When I ordered my Robar, the guy there told me they prefer to use Remington actions because it's what they are used to setting up. He said it is no more effort to work a Savage action than a Remington. They have a 1/2 MOA guarantee, and they mean it.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rifle Loony

What's silly is, I post a picture and a couple of follow ups, and it generates 6 pages of driveling nonsense in defense of the worst rifle design on the planet.

People crack me up........

What's disturbing is, I post that picture elsewhere on the www and folks just want to talk ballistics and gear.

This should be good for a couple more pages, at least................
TROLL. [:'(]

Quick Reply: Go ahead, brag on your Savage.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.