Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Go ahead, brag on your Savage....... >

Go ahead, brag on your Savage.......

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Go ahead, brag on your Savage.......

Old 09-13-2008, 05:00 AM

Default RE: Go ahead, brag on your Savage.......

ORIGINAL: Scott Gags

Rifle Looney help me try and follow the premise of this post. You make an anti Savagechallenge

Wondering where the "outta the box boys" are......
and then you post a group from a Remington that apparently is not an out of the box rifle. Is that correct or am I missing something?
You are onlypartly right, but you are probably getting used to that by now........

The rifle is not out of the box original, true.

BUT, when comparing the parts that count understand that the antiRemingtonCrowd's biggest leg to stand on,is barrel and trigger.

This riflehas abone stock action, and has only been lapped at the lugs, nothing more than what a bunch of years of cranking the bolt would have done.

This rifle has a bone stock trigger, X Mark Pro, IMHO the best factory trigger on the planet...and has been adjusted to 1 1/4 pounds.

This rifle has a factory barrel, set back one turn and punched AI. Not "stock", true due to the chambering, but it's still in the same 20 inch configuration it was bought as and the rifling/crown itself is no more no less than factory issued. It was punched AI for one reason...to achieve normal .243 velocities or betterin a shorter than normalbarrel. Which it does, 3200+ fps with 85/87 grain bullets.

A rifle stock is a rifle stock, and since this rifle was purchased as a youth model just to get the barrel and action, best bang for the buck...the stock was needing replaced with an adult sized handle. Since I bed everything I own anyway it was only natural to bed this barreled action into a McMillan. Too bad every rifle sold doesn't already come on a McMillan, but a few Remmy's do andSavages don't. The group above was fired with a pressure point in placejust as if it came from the factory.

A rifle needs good mounts and good glass, and if thattakes it out of your realm of "factory" just becauseit wears a Leupy and set of Talley LW's then sobe it....ride yourBushnell/Weaver combofull speed ahead.

The point of this post was not to say that Savages don't shoot well, it was to say that the factory Remmy action/barrel/trigger assembly DOES shoot....something I hearis impossible from many Savage guys.

I should add that I credit the accuracy of this rifle not soley to the action/barrel/trigger, but rather to the fact that the handloads are absolutely consentric. Well preparedquality brass, exact weighed powder charges, and a good bullet all contribute more than the rifle itself.

I would imagine that many of the Anti Remington people, many of which are Savage Fanatics judge things on far less and wouldn't know the difference anyway.

My point was, to those undecidedsitting on the fence, is thatyou CAN get a Remington to shoot, and I've done much the same with factory Remmy's with far less mods than this one has............

edit spelling
Old 09-13-2008, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rifle Loony

My point was, to those undecidedsitting on the fence, is thatyou CAN get a Remington to shoot, and I've done much the same with factory Remmy's with far less mods than this one has............
The whole debate was out of the box, you fail to understand this. Any gun can be made to shoot.
Just to remind you I dont own a savage, I own a rem.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

This is the third post, minimum, that this character has got involved in on this subject. All he does is want to start a debate. Let him have his tiny little group and brag that his modified factory rifle can shoot a few hundredths of an in over another brand of rifle right out of the box. Well big whoop dee doo? I wonder how much more his fancy rifle cost him? And he has the balls to call me a tool!!
Old 09-13-2008, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

This is the third post, minimum, that this character has got involved in on this subject. All he does is want to start a debate. Let him have his tiny little group and brag that his modified factory rifle can shoot a few hundredths of an in over another brand of rifle right out of the box. Well big whoop dee doo? I wonder how much more his fancy rifle cost him? And he has the balls to call me a tool!!
X2.....but it's worth having jokers like him around for entertainment purposes!
Old 09-13-2008, 01:28 PM

Don't own a Savage....can't say I've ever even held one. Got nothing againstSavage or any other brand for that matter. I just prefer Remingtion.I agree its important when making comparisons to try to keep it apples to apples as much as possible. All these 3 shot groups @ 100 Yds ware made withwith the same rifle and my handloads. I guess I just wanted to post this to show what a huge difference justa little bit of after market smithin can sometimes make.

Remington out of the box groups - 7.25Lb Trigger with lots of creep.

Remington after gunsmithtrigger job: 3.25 Lb trigger pullw/very little creep. No other modifications to the rifle.

NOTE: dark squares are 1/2".

firstshot
------------------------------------
Make your first shot count!
Old 09-13-2008, 01:35 PM

It looks like it is time to get that Timney installed!
Old 09-13-2008, 02:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Very good Firstshot, Isn't it amazinghow a good trigger can make a rifle shooter shootbetter?
Old 09-13-2008, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont even start breaking a barrel in until I get the trigger where I want it. Makes ALL the diff.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Doe Dumper

I dont even start breaking a barrel in until I get the trigger where I want it. Makes ALL the diff.
It took me a while to learn that, but it finally sunk in. I won't even shoot a rifle until I'm done with the trigger. It's just a waist of ammo.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:48 PM

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

Very good Firstshot, Isn't it amazinghow a good trigger can make a rifle shooter shootbetter?
Ain't it the truth!!! I think the trigger is the first place to start, followed very closely by handloading for that specific rifle. For hunting, those two things should get you 99% there. (If not, get a different gun) As far as I'm concerned...the other 1% improvementis for the serious target shooters.

Maybe I've just been lucky, but I haven't had a rifle yet that couldn't shoot MOA or better with a good trigger (0r trigger job) and handloads built for that rifle.

firstshot
---------------------------
Make your first shot count!

Quick Reply: Go ahead, brag on your Savage.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.