Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Unfortunate situation-May need a new rifle >

Unfortunate situation-May need a new rifle

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Unfortunate situation-May need a new rifle

Old 09-10-2008, 10:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default Unfortunate situation-May need a new rifle

Last November I was trying to do the right thing and use a rope to bring my rifle up after I got into my stand. Well, the knot on the rope gave way and the gun fell 20 feet and broke where the reciever and stock meet. There is some part for my late 1970s Browning BLR 308that the gunsmith at the Eden Prairie, MNGander Mountain can't find and I am getting very nervous that I may need to get a new rifle.

Thinking about a decent bolt gun. Don't need a Mag, just want a accurate moderately priced gun with a decent 3x9 scope. Was thinking about a T3 but am out of the loop when it comes to rifles as I haven't bought one in 25 plus years.

I hunt whitetails and will be hunting elk as well so something in the 270 - 308 - 3006 cal would be appropriate.

Need some opinions on some good rifles that are affordable as I haveminimal budget for this right now.

Thanks.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Unfortunate situation-May need a new rifle

If elk hunting were involved i would pick the 06, but i am very fond of the 06.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:05 AM
Fork Horn

The BLR is still made... what part can't he find that can't be ordered from Browning?
Old 09-11-2008, 08:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

You need to change gunsmiths if he can't find browning parts. Get the name of the part from him and call Browning yourself. I bet they have it
Old 09-11-2008, 08:43 AM
Typical Buck

Here is the link for Brownings customer sevice: http://www.browning.com/customerservice/index.asp

If you download the pdf parts list, find your part and fax in the order. Also check Numerichs, heres the link: http://www.e-gunparts.com/

If this guy still has trouble, Take the gun away from him, and take it to a real gunsmith! There is plenty of people here to help you find the part, and fix; or recomend somebody that can.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:06 PM
Fork Horn

That is exactly why I can't use the title Gunsmith and Gander Mountain in the same sentence.

I'm not a huge 30-06 fan but of the 3 listed that would have to be my choice since you threw Elk in the mix. The bullet selection is unbeatable for the 30 cal.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:20 PM
Fork Horn

I found the original booklet that came with the BLR. The Browning part number listed in the diagram is 4230. It is the Mainspring Tube. I went to Gander Mountain to bring in a copy of the original booklet and talk with the gunsmith and looked at the diagram and part number they have. It looked the same but had a different number as it was a catalog of rifle parts. So far they have recieved the wrong mainspring tube 6 times in 9 months.

Browning told the gunsmith that based on the serial number the gun is a BLR 81 made in 1982. That may or may not be correct. I have the older BLR with a different style magazine than the ones that came out a year later. There are two other Mainspring Tubes for other BLR models out there.

The tubes I need is simply a basic hardened pipe with a male and female threaded end. There is one small hole in the tube.

He is going to call a couple more places tomorrow and the next step is just getting the part made. Looks like it wouldn't be very hard to make.

I told him if possible for the parts place to take a picture and e-mail it or send it wireless as a picture message just to make sure they even have the right part.

I brought the gun to the gunsmith in November of last year..................................
Old 09-11-2008, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I were you, and just needed a "backup" gun, I'd go with a Stevens 200. I heard they can be bought affordably and shoot extremely well (think Savage without Accutrigger). Top that with a decent scope, and you'd have a good rig. That is if your Browning can't be fixed
Old 09-11-2008, 07:42 PM
Fork Horn

Starting a new thread to see what everyone on here recommends for a parts source.

Thanks.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:38 PM
Spike

I had the same problem getting a front ring.It ended by sending the old one in and hand comparing.If your is the newer aluminum receiver type .just call them and let them know your sending it. if its older you might be out of luck. they are at www.browning.com ps on their website they list who they sold all the old parts to . click obsolete parts

Quick Reply: Unfortunate situation-May need a new rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.