Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 just how much is it worth to go to the small stores. >

just how much is it worth to go to the small stores.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

just how much is it worth to go to the small stores.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: just how much is it worth to go to the small stores.

well shipping was 98 for 4 tires thats around 25 each so if he mounted them for the price he gave me it would be about the same. If it comes out to be a little more ok better then dealing with someone states away.
When i get ready to buy them i will talk more with him
ORIGINAL: DM

ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

i try to buy localy but alot of the time the price is just to high.
I just traded my old ford for a chevy done up for offroading. The local guy wants 259 for tires each i can get the same tire online or i think at sams club for 189.99
When you buy those tires on line, you have to pay shipping... You also have to pay for mounting/ballanceing and valve stems... My tire guy gives me free rotation on any tires i buy from him. He also cuts me deals on other things too, like fixing my flats, and fixing my flats NOW, not "pick it uptomorrow"... All of that is worth something to me..

DM
Old 09-09-2008, 09:24 AM

Problem is Walmart, Gander, ect., only sells what willsell quick...and that's a huge problem for those who want what few others want, or it's a specialized item that won't sell box cars full. They are not in the business of making sure I'm a happy camper, they are in the market to make a profit fast. If I don't buy what they want sell they don't care because there's 15 other guys that will.........

It's getting to be that way with local shops too. Nobody wants to carry a selection, nor order in replacement stock after something sells out. I bought the last box of 87 grain V max's at a local shop a month ago and they've yet to restock....their loss actually.

95% of my firearm related buys are via internet, Midway, Mid-South, Graf's, Lock Stock & Barrel, ect. Usually one of them has a great price and actually has available what I need. I call 'em on the phone and three or four day later my goods show up.

I buy new guns from a local with an FFL who cuts me a sweet deal, I buy used guns from various local shops if the price is right. Most of the rest of my needs are internet purchases........
Old 09-09-2008, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I patronize a particular"small shop" hunting/fishing supply store. I do so for two main reasons - (1) Personal service and (2) Expertise.This one just happens to carry a wide variety of excellent gear, including a huge assortment of used firearms that are excellent to NIB condition. He has two full time, very good gun smiths, a guy that is great at repairing reels, and a couple of archery gurus as well.The owner and I have talked on many an occasion. He maintains that he has survived by intentionally not trying to compete with the "big box" stores.His is a real success story. In the early days, he would hope to make payroll and rent ... and barely did for years.Now he has been recognized as one of the best retailers of hunting/fishing gear in the US.His operation is service oriented, and he and everyone in his shop knows his/her stuff .... or can get you to the "shop expert" in seconds.

Based upon prices for rifle ammo or bagged plactic worms that can be found at Wal-Mart, Bass Pro Shop, etc. ,I suspect I pay 10% - 15% more.I'll gladly pay that to keep a local going and for the feeing that this sho cares that i have come in. Even if I spend nothing.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:29 PM

for general hunting stuff, walmart, bass, and gander, are the places i go to, but when i want something done with my archery tackle i go to my mom and pop store regarless of price, i want my bow to shoot straight not off around and come back and hit memy local gander setup my first bow when i started archery like 2 years ago, lets say it cost me so much to get my fixed i never wanted to go there again.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

First off for me I gotta have a Mom and Pop, Cabelas, Bass Pro, or Gander Mountain close. The best we can do is a Diick's Sporting Goods and it sucks. Sell muzzleloader bullets but doesn't carry the powder or anything else most of the time. I either buy online from Bass Pro or Cabelas or make a list and buy in bulk at Paducah Shooters Supply when I'm in Southern Illinois hunting or go to Sportsmans Warehouse in Layfette IN.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:28 PM
Fork Horn

Bigtime,

When reading these posts and making a comparison to the chain stores,keep in mind not all small/mom and pop type shops are equal.

There are some (as seen in these posts) that not only are more expensive but there service is garbage and the art of keeping the customer happy escapes them. Then there are others that while more expensive will go out of there way to keep you happy, provide friendly and expert service, and throw in perks for being a return customer.

Its the latter of the two where I do all my shopping. In my experience those are also the ones who stay in business for the long term. They are generally honest, averageJoes like most of us and are doing something they enjoywhile using it to support their household.

They are also the reason I dislikethe chain stores and choose to support the small shopsinstead. The chains dig to much into their pockets.

Scott