Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 m91-30 or m44 should i get one >

m91-30 or m44 should i get one

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

m91-30 or m44 should i get one

Old 09-07-2008, 09:44 AM
Spike

Default m91-30 or m44 should i get one

should i get a old m44 or m91-30 for target and whitetail deer wich one should i get i am planing to put a new confortable stock on it and a simmions scope on it should i do this for cheap
Old 09-07-2008, 11:56 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: m91-30 or m44 should i get one

I would notpurchase one of these rifles for hunting in mind. If you purchase one and find out that shoots well, then by all means, hunt with it. Most of these rifles are very old, some shoot good, some terrible. There are much better options for a "cheap" hunting rifle. Also, a cheap Simmons scope is extacly that; cheap. Again there are better options.
I would look for a used lever gun, or maybe a bolt action. Dont rule out a single shot like an H & R, you only need one shot if its accurate.

Edit: I'm not bashing these rifles, they are great old rifles; just feel that there are better options when it comes to hunting.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:04 PM

I agree. I have had two of these. The longer, and the shorter. The shorter nagant does NOT shoot that accurate. If you are going to use one for hunting (I did). Get the longer rifle. One thing is they are cheap, most are still pretty accuarte, and they still make hunting ammo for it. You can find these for $80-100. But if you want to do it right, get a 30-06 rem. bolt/pump or something similar and shoot 3" groups.
Old 09-07-2008, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

by the time you put a new stock and scope mount on it you could get a used savage 110 or marlin-win. 30-30.