HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Why I dont like cabelas. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/261801-why-i-dont-like-cabelas.html)

scott26 09-06-2008 09:58 PM

Why I dont like cabelas.

I spent most of my teenage years working at a small mom and pop tackle shop here in my hometown. My boss taught me that taking care of the customer always came first and to be knowledgeable about the product in effort to better serve the customer .

It seems so many of us get caught up in the mega displays, waterfalls, and taxidermy that we inadvertantly have driven the small mom and pop hunting/archery/tackle stores slowly out of business. Cabelas, Bass Pro, Wal Mart buy product by the boatload to help keep the prices they offer to the consumer down. This is there biggest asset as teaching the customer about the product and helping them to use it more effectively has become a lost art. I am not saying the big business chain stores do not have any knowledgeable employees, but you certainly have to look harder for them than at the small shop on the corner.

It is sad to see many big wig retailers get richer putting the small town shops out of business.When a new Cabelas or BP comes to town, sure they employ many part-time highschoolers, some retiree's and a handfull of managers, but they effectively close the doors on other smaller shops that care far more about the community and have more LOCAL knowledge.It surelyhappened in mine.

I am not knocking anyone for shopping at these places, but I certainly know where my dollar is most loyal to. I will pass on the waterfalls and aquariums.

Just another guys opinion. Thanks

Scott

stubblejumper 09-06-2008 10:04 PM

RE: Why I dont like cabelas.

Retailers like Walmart have done far more damage to the smaller stores than Cabelas will ever do.

scott26 09-06-2008 10:11 PM

Agreed, but Cabelas andespecially Bass Pro are guilty as well.

jeepkid 09-06-2008 10:24 PM

ORIGINAL: scott26

Agreed, but Cabelas andespecially Bass Pro are guilty as well.
Many Mom and Pop stores aren't very knowledgable either sometimes...

scott26 09-06-2008 10:44 PM

True, but unfortunately those are not the only ones that get put out of business, (although more likely...)

stubblejumper 09-06-2008 10:51 PM

Cabelas doesn't put anyone out of business,the customers do.I live in a city of 100,000 people that does not have a single hunting or fishing store.The reason is that people would buy their ammunition and guns at Walmart to save a few dollars.If you want a specialty store,you have to be prepared to spend a little more to support it.The people that won't do this are the problem.

Briman 09-07-2008 12:33 AM

True, but unfortunately those are not the only ones that get put out of business, (although more likely...)
The people who run a store are responsible as to whether their business fails or succeeds, not their competition.

Maine Shooter 09-07-2008 06:20 AM

While for the most part I tend to agree, it's not neccessarily the case. I too did the small mom & pop thing myself - 9 yrs of it. If the shop can offer the product knowledge and offer reasonable prices the worthwhile customers will stay. Those that jump for the small savings just to save 3 dollars, well was always my finding that those customers were the ones that never spent much anyways - to sterotype, they were the cheapskates. Always wanted something for nothing and were more of a headache then they were worth. let 'em go to cabelas.

Myself, I'll go usually to the smaller place IF the employees are hospitable. I don't want to be badgered if "I need help finding anything". For the most part, I'll know exactly what I'm after so whatever the clerk has for product knowledge is moot. I grab the item and go with little if any chit-chat. As far as cabelas goes...we got one this past spring. Went over and looked at the place. Nice dispalys but that got old really quick; how many times is that gonna grab my interest? :eek:For what I look at thier prices are the same as the other places I shop so I'll remian gong to the places I've been going. For firearms...well I do see myself EVER paying the prices they tag things for. For thier prices on used, I can buy new. For a good selection I can drive 30 minutes and get 5x the on-display selection of new proberly 10x the used selection AND better pricing. All this at a store I've been going to for years.

scott26 09-07-2008 06:22 AM

Stubblejumper,

That was kind of the point to my post. It is a shame more people dont support the smaller folks.However, the big retailers are the avenue that causes the problem.

Briman,

I disagree. The big retail stores are not playing on an even field. When BP/Wal-Mart/Cabelas goes to a company, say like remington, and says we will take 400,000 boxes of XXXXX over the next year, they get a certain price. When the shop on the corner goes to Remington and says I will take 40 boxes of xxxx over the next 6 months, they get the same product at a substantially higher price. This allows the chain stores to sell at a lower price but still make a substantial profit.

Small business owners cant control that.

keylargo 09-07-2008 06:41 AM

Well it seems that everyone really understands that big will usually do better than small. Be it sporting goods or any other business that is just the way it is. It is a shame when a good small business can not compete,but many time the really good ones manage to stick around.