Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Why I dont like cabelas. >

Why I dont like cabelas.

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Why I dont like cabelas.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Why I dont like cabelas.

Lawton, OK is the third largest city in OK. Lawton does not have a gun store, just rip-off pawn shops whose owners want you to pay $50 or more to order you a gun. Closest guns store is Murf's in Duncan: The guys prices are astronomical.My stuff comes from Wal-Mart, Cabela's on line and Bass Pro shops in OK City.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:41 AM

We have two Bass Pro shops and a Cabela's within a 50 mile or so radius where I live. Not to mention a Gander mountain and two Dicks sporting goods. And numerous meijers, walmarts, k marts and other chain stores. I can't think of one local gun store that has closed because of it. And to be honest most of the local stores have the same or better prices than Cabela's and BP. The only thing they offer is more inventory.

The Cabela's they put in Dundee did not kill the town, the place is booming now. Tons of new buisiness in the area. It was a little ghost town before they came, now they are building stuff left and right.

Paul
Old 09-07-2008, 07:55 AM
Fork Horn

The small shops I had in mind are not pawn shops, but archery,gun, and tackle shops who try to cater to the outdoorsman. No disrepect to the pawn shop owners, however.

Falcon, how do you think your town got that way? A large city with no family run outdoor stores. Its not because the small family retailers all decided years ago to close up shop.

Unfortunately, small business owners as a whole are being phased out by the chain stores and their customers. It isntusually a small shop owner trying to rip you off charging substantially more than the chain store. Its just the small shop owner had to PAY more for the same product.

Again, I am not bashing anyone for shopping at Wallyworld, BP, and the like. Just remember your dollar means more to some than to others....
Old 09-07-2008, 08:01 AM
Fork Horn

Paul,

No where did I say big business kills towns, just some aspect of it. Good to hear that has not been the case entirely in your area.

And yes, the big chain stores dont always have the best prices. All that fancy advertising, taxidermy, and waterfalls has to get paid by someone. Over time, however, they do have the means of dropping prices on certain items to get folks into the store. The small businesses do not.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

When BP/Wal-Mart/Cabelas goes to a company, say like remington, and says we will take 400,000 boxes of XXXXX over the next year, they get a certain price. When the shop on the corner goes to Remington and says I will take 40 boxes of xxxx over the next 6 months, they get the same product at a substantially higher price.
Very true,and that is called free enterprise,one of the things that people really like about the USA.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Cabelas doesn't put anyone out of business,the customers do.I live in a city of 100,000 people that does not have a single hunting or fishing store.The reason is that people would buy their ammunition and guns at Walmart to save a few dollars.If you want a specialty store,you have to be prepared to spend a little more to support it.The people that won't do this are the problem.

Same here. Walmart managed to put out every gun store with the exception of one guywho held on. Walmart finally stopped selling guns and only sells ammo now and the guy that is in sporting goods sells Walmart is pulling up all gun and ammo sales in January. I would like to verify that but don't know why he would even say something like that. The one gun store that held on is doing fabulously btw. His best year was last year and he is ahead of it already this year. His prices on used and new guns is more then competitive.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Trust me on this one guys. The smartest small gun shop will move next door to Walmart if he can afford the rent. There is no better draw of consumers in the world than Walmart. A smart dealer will never try to compete with Walmart. A smart dealer will supplement Walmart. A smart dealer will not stock and sell what walmart stocks,a small dealer shoud stock what Walmart does not sell.

A small dealer has the advantage of being flexible. He can pick and chose his inventory. Walmart can not pick and choose their inventory(on a daily basis).

A small dealer has the abiity to deliver customer service. Walmart can not provide the expertise that a lot of customers are looking. for. Walmart can not provide the services that are necessary. Who do you think came up with the rifle that was already rigged with a combo scope?? Walmart did!! Because their employees could not properly mount a scope.

No one can compete with Walmart on Remington and Winchester ammo. So a smart dealer should handle Federal Premium, Hornady, or Black Hills(or something else) ammo. OR stock only the cartridges that Walmart does not stock. And promote the ammo as custom ammo. And it is!!

As for Cabela's---their prices are high. Or at least the WV store prices are high. We have a small local reloading shop that is cheaper than Cabela's. And he normally has what you want. The last time I went to Cabela's I wanted 7 reloading items. They had 3 in stock. I went to the local guy and he had the rest.

Cabela's is a great sight seeing tour. And occasionally they have some good deals. Their major advantage is being able to handle what you want before you buy it, but there are ways around that. Tom.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I distribute my money between them all, I like to buy my guns from my local gun shop, they offer lifetime warranty on all guns purchased there. Ammo usually coms from wal mart or acedemy, cabelas or bass pro get my money from hard to find things.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:11 PM

Cabelas wanted $499 for a stoeger 2000 in camo. They had a USED one on the shelf, looked very ROUGH. paint was almost gone on the one side, had some rust, and very dirty. They wanted $449 for it. WHAT ARE THEY THINKING??? I went to another smaller gun shop in my area and got the stoeger 2000 BRAND NEW, WITH a extra pistol grip stock in matching camo for $339. Cabelas has SOME good deals, but you need to look around. I then got a sling for my gun at cabelas for $30. Went to wal-mart and they had the same thing for $12.99. That p'ed me off a bit.

Then they had a rod/reel combo on sale for $24.99 and that was CHEAP!! Everywhere else i looked the reel alone was $40. And came with one of these $40 IM6 rods. Cant beat that for $25. I got all of them they had left. They had 4. I think it was a quantum. For the price is was a awesome reel/rod combo. I have used them alot in the past few months too and they work great.

Hamburg, PA store
Old 09-07-2008, 12:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't equate cabelas to being a walmart. For one thing they are few and far between. And in my opinion there will always be the need for the local bow shop. They do somethings well, and some things not so well, so I think they serve a purpose, but will never do it all like a local shop can.

Quick Reply: Why I dont like cabelas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.