HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Why I dont like cabelas. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/261801-why-i-dont-like-cabelas.html)

pahntr760 09-11-2008 01:23 PM

RE: Why I dont like cabelas.

Here is what I take on it all.
For the most part, Wal-Mart does not stock the quality stuff I want to pay for. I'll save more money to pay for more premium items. (I’m not saying like uber premo). I like to shot for guns and such at 2 different stores. Kent Shooting Supply in Ogden, Utah and Impact guns in Roy, Utah. As far a clothes go, I like Cabela’s. I just like their patterns, no other reason really.

These two gun shops i use are doing more than ok. Especially Impact Guns. The fact is in today’s market, we want things now. Waiting for Ma to order my new Remington in, or going to the big store to get it that day. That’s probably the most pressing factor. Whether is right or wrong, I won’t say, that’s just the facts.

bigtim6656 09-11-2008 01:35 PM

i do agreee when i first started hunting walmart was my store for the first three or even four years i did not have the cash for good stuff.
Thats why this year when i looked at what i had that was good for this season i came up with soem scent killer stuff from last year a can call.
A face mask and cheap thin cloves all from walmart. the camo i bought had become swiss cheese with all the holes.
Well this year i have dropped 1000 bucks when season is over more like 1500. not counting butcher cost. but when next year rolls around i will have two sets of camo a game cart, pop up blind calls a 5 gallon hunting bucket seat thermacell, boots and a few other items.
I only buy stuff at walmart i know is good now. just as name rband scents calls. and if i need something cheap i go there.

But i have spent 80% of my money at cabelas, 10% at bass pro, 5% at both sportsmands guide and gander and walmart

ORIGINAL: pahntr760

Here is what I take on it all.
For the most part, Wal-Mart does not stock the quality stuff I want to pay for. I'll save more money to pay for more premium items. (I’m not saying like uber premo). I like to shot for guns and such at 2 different stores. Kent Shooting Supply in Ogden, Utah and Impact guns in Roy, Utah. As far a clothes go, I like Cabela’s. I just like their patterns, no other reason really.

These two gun shops i use are doing more than ok. Especially Impact Guns. The fact is in today’s market, we want things now. Waiting for Ma to order my new Remington in, or going to the big store to get it that day. That’s probably the most pressing factor. Whether is right or wrong, I won’t say, that’s just the facts.

SJAdventures 09-11-2008 05:37 PM

Same reason you don't see the small grocery/gas stations like you used to. I buy local and small shop if at all possible but on the other hand I can't afford to pay a small shop more than $100 more for say a gun that I can get at one of the bigger retailers.

bigtim6656 09-11-2008 07:05 PM

i live across the street from a localy owned grocery store. i drive 25 miles to sams club. The local store has higher much higher prices and the meat vegs. fruit and even some of the frozen stuff sucks.
I buy 90% lean ground at sams for less then the 70% 30% crap the local store sells.

ORIGINAL: SJAdventures

Same reason you don't see the small grocery/gas stations like you used to. I buy local and small shop if at all possible but on the other hand I can't afford to pay a small shop more than $100 more for say a gun that I can get at one of the bigger retailers.

maritime363 09-11-2008 08:44 PM

this is a tough one, when you factor in that online purchasing has also had a big impact on buying local. not just the big stores. my position is this-- walmart may carry a few things like cleaning kits, maybe some AA shells for skeet at a good price, but thats it. mostly cheaper items and limited selection. Dicks is pretty much same--Cabelas and BPShas the variety of one stop-- buthonestly, its getting to where most of their products are now cabelas brands with some very good quality mixed in. But w the price of gas, etc. it may not be worth the trip there, unless you are out for the day, and have time to take in the whole experience. Online is agood option, unless you are looking for real customer service and support.There are a few good outdoor stores-- that can get anything,keep prices somewhat competitive, but theyget to know you, stand by their products,talk hunting/fishing, etc. Sort of like going to a good mens store vs. an outlet store-- there is a role for both-- But whenit comes tospendingmaking big purchasing decisions, or buying high quality items, you cannot beat the local guy who knows his/her stuff.As long as theydo it right-- and understand that what makes them different is taking careand valuing their customers. If they don't do that, theyre dead. I won't come back. If they do that well, they will bring me back, time and again. I buy occasionally at walmart, quite a bit online (cabelas, beretta,filson, etc.), and support my areagun stops, who know what theyre doing...each serves different needs.

salukipv1 09-11-2008 08:54 PM

was just at the one here in IL, hoffman estates, man is that place dead, if its not on its way out of business, I don't know what's keeping it afloat, it's in the middle of nowhere practically, heard HE gave them a tax incentive or something to build there, still probably a bad choice.

They had almost nothing in stock, telling us we can order it and pick it upto save on shipping, when its not a close drive, that's why we went, to pick stuff up! not to order it, they might as well, just be a warehouse where you can order stuff to and go pick it up.

bigtim6656 09-12-2008 05:52 AM

i do agree i have noticed when i started hunting in ky the local walmart had a huge outdoor area alot of hunting and fishing stuff.
Here there is almost nothing. a few rows. two less then last year. they could get it all on one row if they did not have four sections of the same item.
Everyone that works the sporting goods at the three walmarts i use say walmart is down sizing the hunting fishing stuff if not doing away with it all togather

ORIGINAL: maritime363

this is a tough one, when you factor in that online purchasing has also had a big impact on buying local. not just the big stores. my position is this-- walmart may carry a few things like cleaning kits, maybe some AA shells for skeet at a good price, but thats it. mostly cheaper items and limited selection. Dicks is pretty much same--Cabelas and BPShas the variety of one stop-- buthonestly, its getting to where most of their products are now cabelas brands with some very good quality mixed in. But w the price of gas, etc. it may not be worth the trip there, unless you are out for the day, and have time to take in the whole experience. Online is agood option, unless you are looking for real customer service and support.There are a few good outdoor stores-- that can get anything,keep prices somewhat competitive, but theyget to know you, stand by their products,talk hunting/fishing, etc. Sort of like going to a good mens store vs. an outlet store-- there is a role for both-- But whenit comes tospendingmaking big purchasing decisions, or buying high quality items, you cannot beat the local guy who knows his/her stuff.As long as theydo it right-- and understand that what makes them different is taking careand valuing their customers. If they don't do that, theyre dead. I won't come back. If they do that well, they will bring me back, time and again. I buy occasionally at walmart, quite a bit online (cabelas, beretta,filson, etc.), and support my areagun stops, who know what theyre doing...each serves different needs.

tazman7 09-13-2008 09:32 PM

Welcome to corporate america.... where the rich will get richer and the poor will get poorer... sad isnt it?