HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Why I dont like cabelas. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/261801-why-i-dont-like-cabelas.html)

rhans53 09-07-2008 01:17 PM

RE: Why I dont like cabelas.

Wow, I hate all large chain stores, because they can sell cheaper & have a better selection. I hate the internet cause I can shop for the best price, buy cheaper and if the local shop doesn't have it (even when i order it from the local shop it's 5 months out for a set of bases for my gun) all I have to do is go online find it and order it for less and have it inside a week.The powder you ordered didn't get ordered and it's now another 3 weeks out. I've went into the local shops and stood patiently for upwards of 20 mins while they where busy chatting about last years final hunt instead of taking care of their customers even though the internet is less personal it sure does save me a lot of time. My point being if you don't service your customers they will go elsewhere.

Gangly 09-07-2008 01:33 PM

I, like many others,will ask tons of questions to find out the informationI need. I will go to the local gunshop, internet forums, big chain stores, etc.,and ask questions about certain products to make accurate decisions about potential product purchases. However,afterwards, I will go buy from the cheapest place, plain and simple.If it's at the local gun shop, great, online, great, cabelas(not likely) then great. I have no allegience to any store except for the store that gives me a good deal. People can say what they want,but I wont pay more for a product whenI can get it cheaper elsehwere. Anybody who does is throwing away money, plain and simple.

Im not rich, but Im not poor either, and when it comes to products I want quality and wont hesitate to purchase it, but I will definately hesitate at paying more for it at one place when i can get it cheaper somewhere else, thats plain and simple economics and has nothing to do with rich, poor, cheapskate, etc. It has everything to do with value.

Local gunshop knowledge is nothing better than what I can gather from great forums such as this one.

Most consumers feel the same way, whether we should or shouldnt doesnt matter, its simply how most consumers feel.

rozman62 09-07-2008 01:46 PM

Cabela'sare overpriced. Very few can compete with Walmart due to the volume pricing they receive. There are 6-8 Walmart stores in a 50 mile radius where I live. They all used to sell guns but only 1 now sells guns. This has given the smaller sporting stores some relief. I now use the internet to shop for near 100% of all my hunting needs. Hell, I even buy my hunting licenses online now.

scott26 09-07-2008 02:37 PM

ORIGINAL: Gangly

I have no allegience to any store except for the store that gives me a good deal. People can say what they want,but I wont pay more for a product whenI can get it cheaper elsehwere. Anybody who does is throwing away money, plain and simple.

l.

Case in point, this outlook is why locally large chains do so well and why many small, shop around the cornertype placeshave gone under. I too look for a good deal on many items I purchase. I just dont look to the big chains and try to keep my dime local. I do not see anything wrong with that. To each there own.

oldelkhunter 09-07-2008 03:20 PM

Cabela'sare overpriced. Very few can compete with Walmart due to the volume pricing they receive. There are 6-8 Walmart stores in a 50 mile radius where I live. They all used to sell guns but only 1 now sells guns. This has given the smaller sporting stores some relief. I now use the internet to shop for near 100% of all my hunting needs. Hell, I even buy my hunting licenses online now. [align=right]
[/align]
Like I posted before guy the guy that works at a Super Walmart in my town said that starting january all stores stop carrying guns. I don't recall if he mentioned ammo in the same sentence.

Why would Cabelas want to compete with a Walmart? Can you walk into a Walmart with unlimited cash and walk out with the rifle/scope, clothing and any equipment needed to hunt NA,Africa anywhere? You pay for that privilege though thru higher prices but the stores apparently are well stocked.

JakeinTX 09-07-2008 03:27 PM

I like alot of folks shop at various places. We have a Bass Pro here in town and two guys at the counter are great with Guns. I buy ammo at Walmart and Academy. I like Academy for camo, I usually only buy clothes (camo) from BP or Cabelas when it is on clearance. There is quite a few small gun shops in town that appear to be doing well.

Jake

bigtim6656 09-07-2008 04:11 PM

if the mom and pop stores can not keep up with low prices they should close.
I went to a local gun shop guy wanted 600 for a tc triumph. A local store own and ran by a old woman also wanted 600 for it. I found it online for 469 from a small shop down south shipped to my door.
I have talked with three differnt people from cabelas lately they all seemed to know there stuff. In fact the last three small shops i have been to knew nearly nothing.

ORIGINAL: scott26

I spent most of my teenage years working at a small mom and pop tackle shop here in my hometown. My boss taught me that taking care of the customer always came first and to be knowledgeable about the product in effort to better serve the customer .

It seems so many of us get caught up in the mega displays, waterfalls, and taxidermy that we inadvertantly have driven the small mom and pop hunting/archery/tackle stores slowly out of business. Cabelas, Bass Pro, Wal Mart buy product by the boatload to help keep the prices they offer to the consumer down. This is there biggest asset as teaching the customer about the product and helping them to use it more effectively has become a lost art. I am not saying the big business chain stores do not have any knowledgeable employees, but you certainly have to look harder for them than at the small shop on the corner.

It is sad to see many big wig retailers get richer putting the small town shops out of business.When a new Cabelas or BP comes to town, sure they employ many part-time highschoolers, some retiree's and a handfull of managers, but they effectively close the doors on other smaller shops that care far more about the community and have more LOCAL knowledge.It surelyhappened in mine.

I am not knocking anyone for shopping at these places, but I certainly know where my dollar is most loyal to. I will pass on the waterfalls and aquariums.

Just another guys opinion. Thanks

Scott

bigtim6656 09-07-2008 04:16 PM

thank you. My mom and dad owned a computer shop we made money hand over fist. We even bought stuff from walmart and sold it at cost just to keep people form going down there. WE stayed in business even after walmart started selling computers. for half what we did. People said the service and product we had was better.
Heck one time a guy who sold wholesell and retail delivered some stuff.
Saw one of his customers who drove right by his shop to come to us since we were cheaper and was more willing to help.

Small stores run there selfs out of business.

ORIGINAL: Briman

True, but unfortunately those are not the only ones that get put out of business, (although more likely...)
The people who run a store are responsible as to whether their business fails or succeeds, not their competition.

bigtim6656 09-07-2008 04:21 PM

what is wrong with that. it is called capitalism. one of the base rights of this country. I am not going to pay 50% more for something just because some small shop localy owned sells it. I drive right by the local shop to go to walmart and gander sometimes. The guys asked me once why i went to gander mountain i said the stuff was cheaper. But if i need advice or work done on my stuff i go to his place.
He can take what work i give him or b*tch because i pay stuff at another shop and lose all my business. I have had it happen.
My mom worked at alocal mom and pop outdoor shop. I got everything i bought at dealer cost. which was normaly 30% cheaper. and even lower then what walmart sold the stuff for by 10% or so. 10% profit is better then wanting 30% and getting none.

Though they did pay far more for say rifles then walmart or cabelas.

ORIGINAL: scott26

Stubblejumper,

That was kind of the point to my post. It is a shame more people dont support the smaller folks.However, the big retailers are the avenue that causes the problem.

Briman,

I disagree. The big retail stores are not playing on an even field. When BP/Wal-Mart/Cabelas goes to a company, say like remington, and says we will take 400,000 boxes of XXXXX over the next year, they get a certain price. When the shop on the corner goes to Remington and says I will take 40 boxes of xxxx over the next 6 months, they get the same product at a substantially higher price. This allows the chain stores to sell at a lower price but still make a substantial profit.

Small business owners cant control that.

bigtim6656 09-07-2008 04:22 PM

you hit it right on the head there. I go to some local shops because i know i get good adivce. I tried to buy new tires from the local guys. They were two high. I ened up at sams club buying bf goodwrinch for what the locals wanted for cheapo tires.

ORIGINAL: keylargo

Well it seems that everyone really understands that big will usually do better than small. Be it sporting goods or any other business that is just the way it is. It is a shame when a good small business can not compete,but many time the really good ones manage to stick around.