Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Why I like Cabela's >

Why I like Cabela's

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Why I like Cabela's

Old 09-06-2008, 04:13 PM

Default Why I like Cabela's

Well for scopes anyway. I went to a local gun show today with the kid and decided to stop by cabela's on the way home. I had the camera with me so I spent the afternoon taking pictures inside the store.

Here are some pics of the scope displays at my local Cabela's

And this isn't even all the models they carry! They have different versions of the models shown and some models that are not on display. And this doesn't include the bargain cave. Not to mention they have gun stocks with rubber rings the scope snaps into so you can try them out.

They may not have the best prices, but Lord you just can't beat this kind of selection. Scopes from $30 up to $3,000 + and they will let you handle any of them. Doesn't hurt that their are 100's of stuffed animals all around you to aim at either. And the store is big enough you can over 100 yards with different lighting.

And if for some reason you don't like it, just put it back in the box bring it back and either trade it or get your money back.

If someone wants to see more pics of the store let me know, I can upload them to my flickr account or something. I only have around a hundred of them.

Paul
Old 09-06-2008, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Why I like Cabela's

Not much of a selection Eh!!! They have excellent customer service to boot...
Old 09-06-2008, 05:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wish Sportsmans Warehouse had that many in stock! I was going to go tomorrow to buy a Monarch 4-16x42 from them, but called and they don't have any!! Looks like I'll be buying online from Cabelas!
Old 09-06-2008, 08:36 PM

That's the rub, I don't like getting a scope unless I can look at it first. If you are going to buy online there are better places as far as price goes. It's just nice to be able to have so many to choose from and actually be able to look at them.

The down side is you never know what they will have until you get there. They do not stock what is on the website, been there done that. The catalog and website are two different entities from what they have told me.

They do have good customer service though.

By the way, I have looked at the monarch you are thinking of getting before. You won't regret it, very nice scope. I think it ran about four hundred something when I looked at it.

Paul
Old 09-06-2008, 08:43 PM

I got bored and counted them, over 270 scopes on display, and that doesn't count the empty spaces where they sold out of a model and were waiting for a shipment. My local Gander mountain has maybe 15 scopes on display.

Oh, and that doesn't count the cheap scopes like simmons eight points and stuff that are in the bubble packs hanging on a rack somewhere.

Paul
Old 09-06-2008, 08:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

That's the rub, I don't like getting a scope unless I can look at it first. If you are going to buy online there are better places as far as price goes. It's just nice to be able to have so many to choose from and actually be able to look at them.

The down side is you never know what they will have until you get there. They do not stock what is on the website, been there done that. The catalog and website are two different entities from what they have told me.

They do have good customer service though.

By the way, I have looked at the monarch you are thinking of getting before. You won't regret it, very nice scope. I think it ran about four hundred something when I looked at it.

Paul
I know, I would like to see them in person first too. But, no around has the Monarch in stock. I have a few other things to order from Cabelas anyway, and their price is actually pretty close to everyone else...surprisingly. Or I might just get a Zeiss instead...
Old 09-06-2008, 09:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

i went to a cabelas the first time Thursday...

all i could say was WOW!!!

even a restaraunt inside....with dang good food to boot!

awesome game animal displays...

the staff was AWESOME...super friendly...super helpful...1 lady walked around most of the store with me looking for eye protection(some odd reason noone knew where it was moved to, but they couldnt find them anywhere...one guy said they did away with the section!?!?) then another lady in footwear went in the GIANT back room like 8 times getting me other rubber boots to try on...i couldnt believe it...she never missed a beat or got somewhat frustrated in the least...

the bargain cave is awesome...

funny thing was everything i was looking for, they didnt have particularly WHAT i wanted lol....cant please everyone...and i wont lie, i was being VERY difficult and picky...but selection is AWESOME for a store...
Old 09-07-2008, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Joy. I might be odd but I know which scope I want without having to look over 270 different models. that's simply big store marketing. Lot's of overhead there. Then I guess there's those that'll be convinved that the $25 Simmons they got at Cabelas will be better than the exact same one they buy at Wlamrt for $24.95. Most will go in knowing about Simmons, Bushnell and Leupold. They won't even adknowledge the others. That's the general mentality of ppl at such a place - at least from my observations.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:50 AM

Well I guess if you know exactly what you want then you don't need to shop there. But if your not sure it sure is nice to be able to compare them. Lets say you are a die hard leupold fan but your not sure what model you want. Well guess what, they have every model and you compare them side by side. And if you want you can compare them to other brands that are similar. If you don't think that is a good thing don't bother with it. I think it's awesome. When I bought my varmint scope I looked at several scopes some of the being leupold, and to tell you truth I wasn't that impressed when I compared them to other scopes. I am really glad I had the chance to do that instead of just taking everyones advice that they are the king of optics.

Order your stuff from the internet and hope you like it when you get it. I prefer to go look at it and have the option to try it out and take it back if I'm not happy with it.

As far as someone getting a cheap simmons from there and thinking it is better, then they are ignorant. However they would have the chance to take that cheap simmons and compare it with something better while there and make an educated decision on what they wanted to buy. I just don't see how that can be bad for the customer.

Paul
Old 09-07-2008, 08:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

There is nothing like handling an item before you buy it to see initial impressions of it. That is one benefit of it. Looks like a Cablelas has more optics then Basspro based on the pictures. I shop for optics by going to the dealers that are around me and luckily a few handle, Zeiss,Swaro,Leupold,Bushnell,nikon and a few others. Depending on the optics I buy from 3 different places www.eurooptics.com www.cameralandny.com and www.theopticzone.comall 3 have tremendous customer services and the best prices and usually throw in shipping. All 3 will let you sample the item and let you return it. One even allows an item to be shipped without payment and then bills you. That is unheard of in these times.

BTW Cabelas is importing way too much junk these days. I liked it better when they had more USA content.

Quick Reply: Why I like Cabela's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.