Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 new to gun hunting >

new to gun hunting

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

new to gun hunting

Old 09-03-2008, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: new to gun hunting

Sounds like you have gotten pretty good advice.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

I set my little sister up with a .30-06 shooting 150 grains. the recoil does not seem to bother her even after multiple shots at the range. shooting that setup I am good out past 300 yards. For her 200 yards is her limit, but as she practices that will go farther.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:56 AM
Spike

Ok here is my 2 cents , The 25-06 is an awesome choice for deer sized game and bigger if your comfy with it , Now a little story . I did a stint working in the wal-mart sproting goods dept. and consider myself smarter then the avg. joe when it comes to firearms and balistics. And I was not afraid to share my thoughts with the customers ( I think it helps if the guy behind the counter knows something about what he is selling ) And I think most customers picked up on this and I sold a ton of guns LOL to bad I wasn't working on commission. Any ways a buddy of mine came in and was looking at 2 guns both winchester mod. 70's and couldn't make up his mind 30-06 or .270 . Not seeing the "magic" of the 30-06 , I pushed for him to buy the 270 , well him being a newbie he had not done much research and went for what he had heard about and bought a 30-06. No biggie . Mind you I told him as much as I ccould about the performance and lack of recoil on a 270 compared to an '06 . Well before season we went to a range and sighted in his gun , for some reason he couldnt get a nice 3 shot group to save his life . ( he is a big guy around 200-235 lbs) so I had to try his gun and see what what the deal was . I shot a nice 1 inch group , but I knewas soon as I pulled the trigger he was flinching from the recoil. so I let him try myRuger 25-06 , one shot was all it took . he sold his 30-06 and bought a 25 . If you can put a bullet where you want it then why kick your shoulder every time you pull the trigger? are you into pain? I'm not and I am a Big guy. My hunting camp is a small one but I think the biggest gun there is my 8mm when Iwant to use mygrandpas gun he gave me . otherwise its .243,25-06,.270, .280, 6.5-06 . Well there are a few BIG magnums in the house if you wanna shoot an rhino or an elephant (.375 H&H or the .458 win mag ) but since I live in Michigan we dont get too many of those.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:54 AM

ORIGINAL: TOFARSOUTH

hi all, was wondering what caliber rifle you all prefer for longer shots? maybe one with not that much kick. the field i hunt is 400 yards across, but it would be cool to be able to shoot 200 or 250. thanks in advance, paul
Sincelow recoil is a requirement I'd recommend the 7mm-08. Really easy on the shoulder even off the bench and no prob shooting out to 300 Yds. My 7mm-08 145Grn Speer Hot-Cor handloadsleave the22" barrel at 2,800 FPS and at 300 Yds are still running 2,228 FPS with 1,598 Ft Lbs of energy. At 400 Yds they are at 2,053 FPS & 1,356 FT Lbs of energy. However, I would probably never take a shot over 250-300 Yds.

Just for grins, here is a Remingtion ballistic comparison of the 270 Vs 7mm-08.

Here is a link to the Remington Ballistic Comparison charts
http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/ballistics/
Any of the calibers that have been recommended will work for your application. The ballistic charts will let you compare one to the other for up to three calibers at once using various bullet types/weights.

Good luck

firstshot
----------------------------
Make your first shot count!
Old 09-14-2008, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would second the .243 for deer sized game and smaller. Nice ballistics, little recoil, ammo readily available, and it gets the job done nicely. If you want to go a bit bigger just get a 30-06 and call it a day! LOL
Good luck.