Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Your take on scopes >

Your take on scopes

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Your take on scopes

Old 09-05-2008, 11:51 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Your take on scopes

I agree with Folically. I can tell ahuge difference in a burris ffII and a $75 optronics or tasco. I really like the ffII's w/ b-plex. I like them better than my weaver grandslam and just as well as my vari-x III considering the price.

I
Old 09-05-2008, 01:44 PM

Or you could have taken the 200 bucks you spent on the tricked out high powered Barska and got a simple 2-7 or 3-9 power hunting scope. The same 200 dollars would have gotten you a lot better optics and a scope you would enjoy shooting more. Honestly unless you are target shooting for the utmost smallest groups you simply don't need that much power, especially if you don't have the budget for it. Remember snipers can take out a target at almost half a mile with a 10X scope.

If I were you you I would stay away from the fancy tactical models and start looking at more simple hunting scopes. Good scopes of the styles you are looking at run thousands of dollars in most cases. If you can get one for a quarter of that there has got to be a reason, and it won't be because you got a good deal.

If you want a tactical style scope check out this one, not a bad scope for the money. Not as nice a $700 Leupold but they are pretty decent. I own one similar to it.

Mueller Tac II

Paul
Old 09-05-2008, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: retrieverman

All I am going to say on this subject is that you do get what you pay for. Buy cheap get cheap.
Ditto...
Old 09-05-2008, 03:49 PM
Typical Buck

You wouldn't go to Walmart for tires for your Ferrari. In reguards to glass if you can't see your target clearly in various light conditions don't expect to hit it...............................Harold
Old 09-05-2008, 04:59 PM

I would if they sold the tires I needed and I could get a deal on them.

Paul
Old 09-05-2008, 05:17 PM

If a scope's good enough for a cheap gun, it's good enough for an expensive one. Now you need to spend at least X amount to get that good scope, and other scopes will have nicer/higher qualityfeatures for more money. That's all that matters...will it fulfill what you need it to?
Old 09-05-2008, 05:54 PM
Typical Buck

My God , I have been so short changing my self . I scrape together $4-500 a year so I can get in the field 20-25 days out of 92 possible days I get a total of 20 daysfor deer ($100 of my budget for license and tags 25 more for fowl 10 more for upland game) and I can spend a measly 5000 on a rifle and another 2000 for optics 6-700 for bino's 40k on a truck ................ sorry off track .

I shoot a $250 rifle with a $90 3-9x40 Tasco pronghorn it's clear brighter than naked eye at dawn and dusk and a trick color change retical black in good light gold as the light fades in 14 years and I'd guess 1000 full house loads and at least twice that many plinkers ,10 hunts in 100+degrees to teens , with no shift no fog . Now if those $60 rings would just hold .
Old 09-06-2008, 01:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

I see no reason for the less than $100 scopes for the simple reason that I would never trust any of them on a big game hunt.My own personal minimum for hunting is the bushnell elite 3200 series as they offer good glass and have proven dependable.The Leupold VXII costs significantly more,and offers no optical advantage in my opinion.If I have a larger budget,I skip right to the Zeiss conquest line,since I find them to have optics superior to the Leupold VXIII for the same price.If I want a serious long range scope that must have precise tracking,I buy Nightforce.
Actually I used to own over a dozen Leupold scopes,but I will never buy another,because I feel that the price is just too high for what they offer.There are far more affordable scopes that perform just as well.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:31 PM

I use 3-9X0 Burris Fulfield II scopes with the Ballistic Plex reticles. They work great for me and I love the bullet drop compensating reticle. I feel I got more quality for the price with these scopes than if I had spent a similar amount on some other brand.

firstshot
-------------------------------
Make your fisrt shot count!
Old 09-06-2008, 03:57 PM
SST

Optical quality, durability, eye relief, warranty, etc. You get what you pay for, pure and simple.

Quick Reply: Your take on scopes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.