Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Your take on scopes >

Your take on scopes

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Your take on scopes

Old 09-03-2008, 11:07 AM
Typical Buck

Default Your take on scopes

I recently bought a Barska Swat rifle scope to put on my AR-15, which cost me a little over $200. I have been told by many gun owners that you should spend about the same on the optics as you spent on your gun. I just don't have that kind of money to do that for all my guns, Idon't think thisis necessary. What do you guys think?
Old 09-03-2008, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Your take on scopes

I think there's a lot of snobbery in optics. I think you will likely be fine. I've got a bunch of simmons Atecs that have been nothing short of amazing. Better in every way except resale to my Leupolds.

I think high end optics start at Ziess.

How do you put the popcorn thingy up? lol.

Tom
Old 09-03-2008, 11:42 AM

Low end, to moderate end Leupolds have given me stellarservice, for many, manyyears....Leupy is Good Glass.

I guess I'm bias in that opinion..................
Old 09-03-2008, 11:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have 3 Leupold VX-IIs...I like them, they hold zero, they track well, they are plenty bright to shoot during legal shooting hours...

I do have a couple of buddies that have had good luck with the Nikons in ProStaff and Buckmasters...

I have no use for a Simmons...Have a buddy that has returned his 3 times...They keep sending him a new one, we keep sighting in and tapping with a screwdrive to settle the cross hairs, it lasts about 2 years, loses its zeroand goes back again...
Old 09-03-2008, 12:09 PM

It is all up to you.......... BUT

I think it's funny when people say they cannot spend that kind of money on a scope because they don't have that kind of money....... but they had that kind of money to buy the gun.... didn't they...

Actually a lot of people say you should spend AT LEAST as much on the scope as you do on the gun... and as much as 2X...

But I don't. I have yet to pay even 500.00 , much less 600.00 or 700.00 $$$ on a scope. I beleive the most I have spent on a scope was about 450.00 ( shipping and all ) for a 5-20 X 44 Nikon Monarch....

Most of my scopes run from 250 to350.00. Thecheapest was about 100.00, on one of my kids guns, and it broke within about 2 years. I have about 9 or so Nikons.... Great Glass for the $$$.

MET

Old 09-03-2008, 12:10 PM
Fork Horn

I like the Nikon ProStaff. Great scope at a very good price.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:14 PM

I'll add that for ANYTHING I need to shoot, a $219 3X9 VX1Leupy will do it good, a $299 VXII Leupy will do it just a little bit gooder.....

I do upgrade 'em with turrets, at about $75 or so per turret, but that's just me being me..........
Old 09-03-2008, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

My take is it's all up to you, I inherited my dad's 3 rifle's when he passed and they all had cheap a$$ tasco's, bushnell'sand I can't begin to tell you how many deer he has taken over the years with them and they are still holding a zero today. I personally like to stay in the mid range to get the lifetime warranty, the last one I bought was a Nikon Monarch 5-20X44around $400 that has a lifetime warranty, if anything happens to it I will send it back and get another.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I only had $1,000 to spend on a scope and rifle I would spend $600-$700 on the scope and $300 on the rifle. Your optics is the most important part of your rig. The first time you shoot a trophy buck right at dark with quality glass you will understand that. There is no way to understand the importance of quality glass until you do shoot a trophy at dusk in a rain storm.

A 1/4 or 1/2 inch group means nothing to a deer at 200 or even 300 yards. Whether your rifle prints a 1 inch group or a 6 inch group at 300 yards you still have a DEAD deer. But only if you can see it, and judge it. Tom.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have bought some cheap scopes in my day, I bought them when I didn't know any better. I have a $30.00 tasco on a 30-30 that holds zero year to year, and a great$100 bushnell trophy on my .270 that was all I could afford at the time. I have compared them to better optics and see the advantage.So I now see it this way"A RESPECTABLE RIFLE AND CALIBER DESERVES A RESPECTABLE SCOPE". Don't don't buy a 300 Weatherby and put Wal-Mart bubble packoptics on it.

Quick Reply: Your take on scopes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.