Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Hornady SST? >

Hornady SST?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Hornady SST?

Old 09-03-2008, 07:48 AM
Typical Buck

Default Hornady SST?

WHo shoots them, tell the pros and cons. I have a 30-06...
Old 09-03-2008, 08:05 AM

Default RE: Hornady SST?

Much like a Ballistic Tip, is what I'm hearing.

Both in flight characteristics, and impact properties........
Old 09-03-2008, 08:23 AM
Typical Buck

I have heard they are one of the stronger ballistic tip bullets...
Old 09-03-2008, 08:26 AM

Per 30 caliber, the Nosler Ballistic Tip is stronger than thelesser calibers....

The SST is following suit, from what I hear.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:07 AM

I have not used them in a centerfire yet, other than paper punching with my .270. I did, however shoottwo does in the last two years with them in my muzzleloader. Don't aim for bone. The first doe I shot with one, was quartering away at about sixty yards. The 300 grain SST went through the left side about half way back on the ribs, there was no exit, and I had to disgard the whole right side shoulder. I have never seen one bullet do so much damage. The positive side is, she went pretty much no where after the hit. I shot a doe last year with the same bullet a direct broadside heart shot at about seventy or so yards. She took about ten steps and fell over. That one was a complete pass through and the exit was in impressive. They definately kill.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:16 PM

I replied on the other SST posting, but since someone mentioned Ballistic Tips .... I guess Nossler and Remington... I will say that having used both of those, and having used the SST's ..... the SST's are a better built bullet with better results on deer sized game.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:40 PM
Fork Horn

i like them. i've used the 150 grainers in my .308 and the 130 grainers in my .270's. i typically hunt in Georgia, so the deer aren't as large as most northern deer. i've gottenpass throughs at close range even when i hit the shoulders with both cartridges. except for one doe i shot with the .308 at 65 yards that was heavily quarting towards me. my .308 has a 20 inch barrel, and i was only loading 44 grains of varget. so i wasn't getting full velocity out of the .308. i hit her high in the left shoulder and the bullet came out of her right rib cage between the last two ribs. but, was still under the hide. needless to say, she didn't go far. but, it definitely destroyed the left shoulder.after cleaning the bullet it weighed 110.5 grains without core or jacket seperation. i feel that it's a good bullet for the money and i'll continue to useit unless i start to have issues with their performance.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: killadoe

WHo shoots them, tell the pros and cons. I have a 30-06...
I've shot them.....and through a .30-06 too.....deer died fast!

I found the bullet under the hide on the far side perfectly mushroomed in one case and in the other case it exited.....150 grain .30 caliber.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have used them in both 30-06, and .243, they performed extremely well in both. They do normally expand very quickly, but I have always had a nice exit hole.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

No experience with them ,But if they are as good as the interlocks you cant go wrong.

Quick Reply: Hornady SST?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.