Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

9mm or .45

Old 09-04-2008, 07:54 PM

Default RE: 9mm or .45

"You do realize that many police depts and government agencies have moved away from a 9mm to a
.40 or .45 don't you???

A 9mm just doesn't have enough when it comes to some idiot pumped up on meth... "

That's pretty political though. It's easier to get public money for a new anything when you need to get the best new thing. Consequently, many departments have been able to get funding to change out their whole armory of sidearms to get new guns, especially when a company like S&W iis giving them a sweetheart deal to be the exclusive armorer for a department.

A 9mm with a hollow point kills people when it hits them in a vital area. A 9mm with a hollow point crushes bones when it hits bones. If you are not stopping a person with a 9mm it is problem of target placement (aiming) not the caliber. In that situation, it doesn't matter what caliber you are using. If you are taking poor shots and not striking bone or, better yet,vital areas a .45 will be no more effective.
-MG
Old 09-04-2008, 08:08 PM
Fork Horn

Here's my lovely daughter, modeling the .45 government model. Notice there is no 9mm in the photo.

Any other questions?

Old 09-04-2008, 09:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

You civilians in this discussion get into firefights or shootouts on a regular basis or what?
LOL

If you ever have a need to actually use one of these things in a real world situation it isn't going to be from 15 yards away behind the barrier of your police cruiser door.
It's going to be somewhere where you will literally be a few FEET away from if not in actual contact with the person at the other end.
You won't be aiming, you won't be playing 3 gun competition, you will bePOINTING it at an in your face center of mass.

9mm vs. .45 is kind of a silly "my gun is bigger than your gun, stopping power this, accuracy that" argument when 9 times out of 10 if you need to pull the trigger it's going to be at point blank range and in a HURRY.

Use the gun you are most comfortable with, and the one you will actually shoot a lot, get used to the controls and carry.
If you buy a .45 and shoot it once a year because ammo is "too expensive" to practice then it's not doing you any good. If you shoot it alot and actually carry it then that's the one for you.

You simply need to be RELIABLE with the weapon you choose and be fluid with it if you are faced with a stressful situation.

9mm, .40, .45, .357, .38, .380, whatever.........just know what you are doing with the thing and shoot it alot. Self Defense isn't a game of sniper or target practice, it's a matter of knowing your gun.

I carry a 9mm with high end +P Corbon. I wouldn't want to get hit with it [:-], and I shoot the cheap stuff alot because WELL it's cheap and it allows me lots of face time with a gun I'd certainly like to be familiar with if I ever need to pull it.
I have handguns with much more stopping power than a 9mm yet if I had to choose just one for my body, or home defense it's the 9mm.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

you never know i do not want a gun that will shoot good at 4 feet and not 15 yards away.
I fish hunt and travel and there is a big chance i would need to defend my self at 15 maybe just as much as 5 feet.
ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

You civilians in this discussion get into firefights or shootouts on a regular basis or what?
LOL

If you ever have a need to actually use one of these things in a real world situation it isn't going to be from 15 yards away behind the barrier of your police cruiser door.
It's going to be somewhere where you will literally be a few FEET away from if not in actual contact with the person at the other end.
You won't be aiming, you won't be playing 3 gun competition, you will bePOINTING it at an in your face center of mass.

9mm vs. .45 is kind of a silly "my gun is bigger than your gun, stopping power this, accuracy that" argument when 9 times out of 10 if you need to pull the trigger it's going to be at point blank range and in a HURRY.

Use the gun you are most comfortable with, and the one you will actually shoot a lot, get used to the controls and carry.
If you buy a .45 and shoot it once a year because ammo is "too expensive" to practice then it's not doing you any good. If you shoot it alot and actually carry it then that's the one for you.

You simply need to be RELIABLE with the weapon you choose and be fluid with it if you are faced with a stressful situation.

9mm, .40, .45, .357, .38, .380, whatever.........just know what you are doing with the thing and shoot it alot. Self Defense isn't a game of sniper or target practice, it's a matter of knowing your gun.

I carry a 9mm with high end +P Corbon. I wouldn't want to get hit with it [:-], and I shoot the cheap stuff alot because WELL it's cheap and it allows me lots of face time with a gun I'd certainly like to be familiar with if I ever need to pull it.
I have handguns with much more stopping power than a 9mm yet if I had to choose just one for my body, or home defense it's the 9mm.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great point and greta post overall.

IIRC, the founder of Second Chance Body Armor was robbed at gunpoint while delivering pizzas. He fatally shot two of the armed gunmen with a .22 pistol and came out physically unscathed due to his proficiency with the gun.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here's my lovely daughter, modeling the .45 government model. Notice there is no 9mm in the photo.

Any other questions?

Old 09-07-2008, 07:55 AM

Your daughter looks scared as hell shooting that gun, maybe you should get her something smaller?
Old 09-07-2008, 12:15 PM
Fork Horn

She's anything but afraid of this piece. If you look closely, she's actually got a good Weaver stance. She has shot this gun numerous times and is damned good with it at defensive handgun ranges (10-15'). We have an annual family shooting match, keep score, the whole nine yards. She is consistently at or near the top in the handgun stage.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:16 PM
Fork Horn

I should have also added that it's not her gun, it's mine. She has a Makarov in .380 that she does rather well with, also.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Another option is the 38 Super.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.