Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Accurate Shooting >

Accurate Shooting

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Accurate Shooting

Old 09-06-2008, 03:36 AM

Default RE: Accurate Shooting

Spam? I don't mean to point out the obvious, but you just advertised a completely different article for me. Thanks, I guess.

Anyways, I'm glad that most of you guys are great shots, and don't need basic instruction, but there may be someone that does.

On a side note, nowhere in the article does it say that shooting from the prone is the most accurate position. It say, "the best... position AT THIS POINT." I'm simply implying that, in my opinion, a beginner should learn how to shoot properly starting with this position. Placing a rifle in a vise is great for accuracy, but how is a beginner able to work on things like breathing and trigger pull if these fundementals arenot even effecting his shot?
Old 09-06-2008, 06:42 AM

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

That is the key right there, they have way more training and much more practice than the average shooter. Without that training and practice it is easier to shoot off from a bench then it is from the prone position. And they train that way because that is how they have to shoot. Using a bench for a sniper isn't really practical. Does not mean they couldn't shoot better from a bench though. And I'm not sure the army snipers are actually the best shots. They can make some incredible long range shots under stressful conditions, and they normally have a spotter as well. I would be willing to bet some benchrest shooters can turn out some better groups because that is all they worry about. And yes I know some Army snipers and benchrest shooters.

Paul
So then,define"shooting" Paul......

Are you hunting, or are you playing the Bench Game?

Areyou just paper punching from a bench as 99.9% of it....or areyou in constant practice mode preparing for every single one shot kill opportunityyou encounter?

I see zero practical benifit constantly yankin' triggers via sandbag/bench whenbenches don't make it to the field...or do they?

When was the lasttime you shot a group into a Critter...........
Old 09-06-2008, 08:17 AM

When was the last time I shot a deer laying on the ground? Most of my deer hunting is done from a blind or a tree stand with a rail, which is a lot like shooting from a bench. Practice the way you hunt I guess, I personally never shoot at game in the prone position. The aiming point is either too high, or there are too many things to obstruct my view, like weeds and the such with varmint hunting.

You can practice trigger control and follow through just as well from a bench as you can on the ground and it is a lot more comfortable.

Paul
Old 09-06-2008, 08:23 AM

When was the last time you shot a group into a Critter...........
Never, and I'm glad to say I have never missed an animal either. I have yet to take more than one shot on any game be it with a shotgun, bow, muzzle loader or rifle. If I don't think I can make the shot I simply don't pull the trigger. I used to shoot a lot when I was younger though. I competed on a regional level with both rimfires and centerfires. Just local amateur stuff, and I'm not a very competitive person. My step dad was a national ranked bench shooter though.

Paul