Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Anyone hunt with the 7mm-08? >

Anyone hunt with the 7mm-08?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Anyone hunt with the 7mm-08?

Old 08-26-2008, 09:01 PM

Default RE: Anyone hunt with the 7mm-08?

I have been hunting with a Ruger Frontier in 7mm-08 for the past year and have shot about 9 deer. Out of all of them only one got away because of a poor shot thru heavy cover that Ishouldnot have taken to begin with. The 7mm-08 seems to have just the right punch for the Axis deer thatI shoot. All of my shots have been pass thru shots and I have even gotten two deer ( a doe and a buck) with one shot. I am using the Hornady Light Magnum Ammunition with the 139 grain "SST" head. I would recommend the 7mm-08 as well as the Light Mag. ammunition.

Axis
Old 08-28-2008, 11:30 AM

IMO the 7mm-08 is damn near the perfect deer caliber for all of the reasons already posted. If one were to sit down and design a caliber specifically for deer (and deer sized game) hunting, I believe this is exactly what they would arrive at. From the factory, it has very similar ballistics to a 270 but in a shorted caliber and generally milder recoil. It has been stated that it has inherent accuracy since it is derived from the 308. The 7mm bullet is extremely popular as is the 308 case so hand loading options for the 7mm-08 are nearly infinite. One could easily work up loads that will work on just about anything!

I'm surprised actually that the 7mm-08 is not more popular. I think what happens is that people tend to just step up to the 308 because it's the head of that family and 308 factory ammo is a bit easier to come by.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:04 PM

Love the 7mm-08. So much in fact that I've got two rifles in 7mm-08...a Rem 700 Mtn LSS and a Rem 7600. I've found both rifles to be extremely accurate using my handloads and simply a pleasure to shoot due to thelow recoil. I've only killed 3 deer with these rifles so far....2 dropped in their tracks, the other only went about 20 Yds. Because this round is a such a pleasure to shoot, I spend more time with it at the range and have become a better shot as a result.

firstshot
-------------------------------
Make your first shot count!
Old 08-30-2008, 08:39 PM
Fork Horn

Switched to a 7-08 last season after 20+ years carryingseveral .30-06's. Couldn't be happier.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:55 PM

Excellent cartridge for analope, deer, black bear, and more. I have three rifles in ths cartridge. Rem Model 7, Thomson Prohunter, and my newest which I will use this year is a Browning BLR. In the Model 7 I used Federal 140gn Ballistic Tips, in the T/C Prohunter I used reloads in 168gn Berger VLDs. Have killed several deer with the M7, 2 deer with the T/C. I will be using reloads this season with the BLR using 120gn TTSX bullets. Looking forward to this season to see how the TTSX bullets work.

Go for it, it's a fine cartridge....

R1
Old 09-04-2008, 12:08 PM
Fork Horn

I agree 100% with Micheal T.. I can't use my 7mm-08 Remington anymore to hunt with(shotgun/ muzzleloader only area in Wisconsin), but I did take down a few nice bucks with it in Northern and Western WI. I now loan it to my nephew who hunts in a rifle county and he has taken more than few deer with it. It shoots straight, knocks them down and isn't punishing to the shooter. GREAT CALIBER !!!

-MC2