Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Am I Expecting Too Much? >

Am I Expecting Too Much?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Am I Expecting Too Much?

Old 08-22-2008, 05:20 PM

Default Am I Expecting Too Much?

I purchased a 20 Gauge SS Pro Hunter barrel for my Encore. Put a new Bushnell D2D 3x9x40 scope on it. Went to the range with some Hornady SSTs, Remington Core Lokts and Copper Solids. Shots were taken from a bench with a rest and sandbags. My best group at 50 yards was about 2 inches, worst was about 4 inches. My best group at 100 yards was just under 3-1/2 inches, worst group was over 6 inches. Within those groups, some shots would be touching while others where way off. Ammo didn't make a difference in groupings.

So, is that respectable from a 20 gauge? I have gotten excellent groups with different barrels. I have the same model scope on other barrels/rifles and get great groups. Of course I have checked scope mounts and rings. Barrel lockup is tight. Could the scope be bad? Any other suggestions?
Old 08-22-2008, 06:28 PM

Default RE: Am I Expecting Too Much?

Realistically that is probably about average for a slug gun. You read a lot about one inch groups and what not but the average is probably more like two to four inches. Doesn't mean it can't be better though.

Paul
Old 08-22-2008, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm sorry, but I would expect better. I get 3" groups out of a 12ga Ithaca with a smoothbore barrel, and we all know that the 20ga performs better than the 12ga. I would expect something in the 1"-2" range at 100 yards.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

With the right ammo and barrel combinationi would think a 3 inch group would be about right at 100 yards. The Vital area is how big at 100 yards. Just remember we are shooting 100-150 yards or so max so minute of angle is not needed or required.

I'm sorry, but I would expect better. I get 3" groups out of a 12ga Ithaca with a smoothbore barrel, and we all know that the 20ga performs better than the 12ga. I would expect something in the 1"-2" range at 100 yards
That is pretty good grouping for a smoothbore and probably a result of the barrel being screwed to the receiver as well as a slug that fits the bore nicely. I don't know how the 20 would be better except maybe in the recoil department. Don't know much about 20 gauge slug guns could you elaborate ?
Old 08-22-2008, 09:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

......Hey.... There's lots fo guys out there that can't shoot better than a 3" group with their deer rifles, if they would just admit it. If you can find a loading that does that well or even better, I'd call it quits. I'm gonna have to witness a 1" group with slugs to buy it....sorry....
Old 08-23-2008, 05:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hey wildman - well you finally came out of the closet??.... just playing.
3"-6" is fine for a smoothbore. But isn't the Pro hunter Encore bbl rifled?
I'd give Federal slugs a try too.
I have an 870 that I have set up for slugs with a 20" smoothbore barrel. I've shot 4 different types of slugs and the most accurate out of mine is the Federal Tru-ball slugs.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:41 PM
Typical Buck

in my experience that's typical of those slugs (and any high speed) in all my guns. i have been able to get cloverleaf 100yd groups by shooting lightfield slugs. by the slug being lead and keyed to the sabot they grab the rifling better and fly straighter.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

If your rounds are from 3" to 6" from "hole to hole" that ain't bad! As long as it is consistent and you can "center" the pattern. Tighter would be nicer obviously, but being no more than 3" off of dead center of your aim at 100 yards will work on deer size game.

Now if you what you are describing is a multi-shot group (3 minimum in my opinion) opening to 6" from "center", that is not good.
Old 08-23-2008, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

oldelkhunter; Yes, the 20ga does have a little bit less recoil, but the basic design of the 20ga lends itself to better flight characteristics than the 12ga.
For instance a 1oz 12ga slug is going to be a short fat cylinder with something resembling a tip on the end, while a 1oz 20ga slug is going to be a longer skinnier cylinder with something resembling a tip at the end. The extra length and reduced diameter basically stabilize it better in flight.