Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 30-06 options - am I cheaping out with a combo? >

30-06 options - am I cheaping out with a combo?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

30-06 options - am I cheaping out with a combo?

Old 08-23-2008, 10:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 30-06 options - am I cheaping out with a combo?

Paul L Mohr: I pretty much agree with you. If your rifle costs $2000, that doesn't mean spend $2000 on a scope. It is important to remember the flip-side of this. If your rifle costs $200, that doesn't mean spend $200 on the scope. For my own money, I don't see how a scope that is better (and more expensive) than a Leupold VX III is going to provide me any better hunting performance. This scope provides me a bright, sharpimage at the legal start and end of the hunting day (1/2 hour before sunrise and 1/2 hour after sunset in Oklahoma). Why do I need a brighter scope so I can hunt at midnight because that is an illegal time for me to hunt? Just an example, substitute your own preferred choice.

What you want to do is consider what your scope needs are. You can buy a serviceable, reliable scope for less money if you choose an appropriate manufacturer. Just to use an example, a Leupold VX II, while less expensive and lower quality than a VX III, would likely be very reliable. The difference? Higher quality optics and optical coatings in the VX III that improve the low light performance and image sharpnessof the VX III. It doesn't make sense to get a low cost scope by a dubious manufacturer -- no telling what kind of problems you are liable to experience.

When I inherited my father's rifles on his passing they were scoped with a low cost brand, the name now escapes me. When shooting one of these rifles I discovered that the rear lens housing could easily be rocked sideways back and forth by hand. I wonder what happened during the recoil caused by firing the rifle? The rifle wouldn't shoot groups at all, because of this flimsy, cheap scope. I wonder how susceptible this scope would have been to fogging, given this rear lens housing situation? I replaced that scope promptly with a Leupold.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:57 PM

I get what your saying, but Leupold is not the only quality scope on the market. Most scopes in the 200 dollar range are going to be very good scopes if you keep the power low and don't go for all kinds of do dads. Bushnell 3200, Nikon, Burris and others all make very good scopes.

You probably had an older tasco, simmons or bushnell that was cheap to begin with.

Paul
Old 08-23-2008, 02:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

For a couple of decadesi suffered with cheap scopes; got a box full of busted cheap scopes in the attic for my trouble.My advice is to buy a quality scope the first time. Getgood qualityNikon, Leupold, Burrisor Zeiss scope and it will last you a lifetime.As for me,i am partial to Leupold and Zeiss fixed power scopes.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:08 PM
Fork Horn

If you can spend the money get the best optics you can. I have severalleupolds, a zeiss and a swarovski for my optics. Now if money is tight go out look at the bushnell 3200 series 3-9x 40mm. I saw one in the local sporting good store the other day and when looking thru it near dusk it looked pretty good for a 200.00 scope.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

About 6 months back I bought the savage 300 win mag combo. Honestly, if I hadn't planned on putting that cheap little scope on my .22 I would have never bought the combo. Those scopes are crap past 100 yards IMHO. Savage makes an awesome gun, but the scope sours the deal for me. Just buy the savage 30-06 and go buy a Nikon Monarch or Zeiss Conquest and you will have a great setup.

Oh.. make sure and get a decent mount and set of rings too.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:28 PM
Fork Horn

We bought a remington 710 combo for my sister trying to save money and had it shipped back 3 times for bolt problems.
I just bought a Remington 700 in .308 for $475 and a nikon 3-9x40 with bdc for $199. i love it and i just bought another remington 700 this yr.