Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 44mag  self defense >

44mag self defense

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

44mag self defense

Old 03-14-2003, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 44mag self defense

Well for a strictly defensive load I say go with the 44 spec. Cheaper, easier to handle and believe me it will work just fine. A few years ago a friend of mine that has a CC permit for his work had just such an occasion, needless to say he hit the guy in the leg from about 10' and it completely shattered the guys bone.
Old 03-14-2003, 02:34 PM

Wound would depend on the size of the person. Wife once had a patient in the hospital, guy weighed around 300lbs, shot thru the chest, front to back. Exit wound would fit a softball into it. Needless to say he expired after a few days of pain (one less drug dealer to mess with). If anyone would have been standing directly behind him within 40 yards would have also experienced a " bad day" .
Old 03-14-2003, 09:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

You wouldn' t think it would make that much difference going from .357 to .44mag, but it really does, you' d be amazed. I once watched a documentary on penetration rates in Urban cenarios (tactical training film). It depicted the penetration capabilities of several typical rounds in typical media, i.e. the .357 and the .44mag penetration through a home. They used them in two homes, a newer and an older home, the older meaning it was actually built of solid material, cement board on lath with 3/4" boxing under 1/2" wood siding. In every round but one the .44mag retained enough " stank" to exit the home and enter a vehicle or another home of similar construction, while the .357' s penetration was much reduced, if I recall correctly, only the most solid constructions were capable of exiting and penetrating a vehicle, while even fewer constructions were capable of penetrating an additional wall. I would have never believed that they were that different, but the proof is in the pudding.
Old 03-14-2003, 09:21 PM

You might think of using Glaser Safety rounds. From what I understand they are supposed to expend their energy upon impact. They were designed to be able to shoot at a wall and not penetrate the other side. Now how they do this is take a hollowpoint that expands quickly and fill it with something like bird shot. This way when it opens it uses all its energy. Supposed to be a real good personal protection round. If you happen to miss the perp, then you wouldn' t harm anyone on the other side of the wall. They are not real cheap, I think I paid around $7-$10 for 6 shells. This isnt something that you would want to shoot at the range unless just to see how they shoot. But to me, when my life or families life depends on it, money aint an option.
Old 03-17-2003, 09:39 PM

Federal makes a Personal Defense load in a Hydra-Shock and assorted weights.