Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 44mag  self defense >

44mag self defense

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

44mag self defense

Old 03-11-2003, 02:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default 44mag self defense

got my new anaconda, 4in barrel, it;s a good full size revolver, and i;m gonna carry it on occasion cause i like it alot. now i aint worried about using any 240grain hollowpoint, i;m pretty sure if i hit it i;ll be ok,. but i;m lookin at the corbon 165grains, for reasons of less muzzle flip. i can handle the 240s with no biggie and would just think if i could shoot the 165s a bit faster and more comfortably, anyone ever tried them??

i even tried some 44specials outta it and i felt like i was shootin my 38. i' d be comfident in using them too but why drive a ferrari 35mph
Old 03-11-2003, 07:34 PM

Default RE: 44mag self defense

Old 03-11-2003, 08:18 PM

All of the corbon' s that I have shot seem to be pretty hot loads. Maybe you could get some 44 spl or some that arent +P loads. My $.02
Old 03-11-2003, 08:27 PM

I' m sure you can handle the .240g' s, but what about the people down range or on the other side of a wall?
Old 03-12-2003, 08:23 AM

I was looking at the Corbon internet site yesterday. It gives good info on the bullet choices and the velocity and energy figures. Worth taking a look at.
Looks like some hot ammo. They have some very good loads for hunting and self defense. Looks like they have 4 or 5 different types of bullets.
Worth checking out if you haven' t already.
Old 03-12-2003, 02:25 PM
Fork Horn

i got some of them 165grains, and i was checkin out the site and what i don;t get is the veliocity is 1300fps. i load 300grain bullets to around that, how come they aint faster?? haven;t shot them yet but i think i;m gonna use either the 240grains, or maybe load some 200grain golddots. the 44special loads were with in a few fps of them with the same bullet weight too..
Old 03-13-2003, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don' t know much about the corbons, never used them, but I' ve used light for weight loads in handguns, and I have to remind you that it isn' t the bullet weight that makes a difference, it' s the energy created. If both fire at the same energy, the actual recoil will be the same, while in your minds eye the lighter might kick less because it is lighter, but that' s just a headgame. If the 165gr loads are of considerably less energy, then they would be a better option. I' ve used custom cast 180grainers in .44mag before and they shot very well at low velocities (reduced recoil rounds), so I can' t imagine that the 165gr would have much of a problem, especially for defense purposes.

One other thing to consider is using .44spcl rouds, they will be much easier to control recoil wise, and BY FAR cheaper to buy than the light loaded .44mag rounds. It' s kinda like putting .22shorts through a rimfire instead of buying the .22lr subsonics, you get the same results with a drastically reduced price because you aren' t buying a " special item" anymore, that' s just how weak .44spcls are.
Old 03-13-2003, 08:32 PM

You will not need to fire this handgun at any perps. The sight of the large hole in the end of the barrel should cause them to fill their pants so full they can' t move. This should keep them from harming anyone until the proper officials arrive!!

On the serious side, you will need to keep in mind what is beyond your target when you use this round.

I have also used this caliber a few times when I carried concealed... .44 mag. SuperRedhawk, 7-1/5" barrel. I wore a BIG coat. usually carry Kimber .45 Ultra-Carry II
Old 03-13-2003, 09:05 PM

Here in Arkansas, you better not pull it unless you are going to shoot. If you dont shoot for a good reason but still pull it out, they can get you for brandishing. My instructor told us that if you pull it and dont shoot, they will take away your liscense. So, whether he is scared and fills his pants or not, if I pull it he is going to get lead poisoning, and a lot of it.
Old 03-14-2003, 12:45 AM
Fork Horn

a few of you guys say to watch whats behind my target, now if i may recall the ten commandments of firearms " know your target and whats beyond" . and would a 44mag make that much more of a difference than my 357mag. am i gonna blow bowling ball sized holes through a perp?

Quick Reply: 44mag self defense

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.