Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Hornady SSt's >

Hornady SSt's

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Hornady SSt's

Old 08-19-2008, 07:06 AM

Default Hornady SSt's

hey i have shot the sst's out of my slug gun, now i have heard that sometimes the slugs dont have knock down power to kill the deer???? is that true, my cousins said they were good slugs, but i wanted to know what you guys think.
thanks

Old 08-19-2008, 07:21 AM

Default RE: Hornady SSt's

Shot placement is a premium regardless of bullet, as is working inside the limits of the chambering.

Old rules of thumb...

The SST's are good stuff..........
Old 08-19-2008, 07:31 AM

^thanks i just need some reasurrance
Old 08-19-2008, 09:49 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

My son shot a doe at about 130 yards last fall, she went about 40 yards. Shot placement makes any bullet work.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:57 AM
Fork Horn

Used my 870 with SSTs two seasons ago for deer. Shot a 200 pound doe right through the heart at 110 yards. She went 30 yards, massive blood trail, complete slug pass through, no blow out.

Shot a buck about the same size a week later at about 30 yards. Complete pass through at the shoulders. No blow out. Exit holes were about the same size as the entrance holes on both deer.

Seems like these slug have more than enough power, and hold together well.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:01 AM

Often wondered if the SST is the same as the T/C Shockwave, since the two makers are in cahoots.....

Been told they are same/same by unofficial sources, fwitw......
Old 08-19-2008, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

The SST and the T/C Shockwaves are the same when it comes down to muzzleloader sabots, Hornady makes them for T/C who then places a new name on them, and sells them under there name.

As far as the SST shotgun slugs, I use them in my H&R 20ga., excellent results. I shot a buck last year here in NJ, about 80 yards, the only shot I had is where the neck meets the body, one shot and he dropped in his tracks, so I would say they are just fine, and like others have stated shot placement is key
Old 08-19-2008, 11:47 AM
Fork Horn

I cut open a 20 guage SST to check out the bullet. Its the same as the SSTs for muzzleloader & yes it is the same as the shock wave. Its a .45 cal bullet. Its a great choice if your gun groups them OK
Old 08-19-2008, 12:34 PM

thanks for all the advice, guys, and yes i they are the same as the shockwave. thanks for reasurring me.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:23 PM

Good thing is that they seem to be cheaper than a lot of the shotgun sabot slugs out there. At least that's what I am finding.

Quick Reply: Hornady SSt's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.