Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Muzzlebrakes >

Muzzlebrakes

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Muzzlebrakes

Old 08-19-2008, 04:43 AM

Default RE: Muzzlebrakes

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

My opinion on muzzlebrakes...If you need one, you are shooting too much gun...
My little brother needed one a few years ago. We went on a moose hunt where they required 300 Mag or larger rifles. He couldnt shhot one accurately back then so we had a brake put on it for him. We have since then sold the rifle and he shoots my lightweight 300 WSM with no problem. He actually has his own 300 SAUM.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:10 AM

I see no problem having a muzzlebreak....I have one on my 300 Ultra mag.....yes its a bit louder but any rifle is loud....If you want one get one....helps reduce recoil and as far as if you need one your shooting too much gun...I don't agree with that statement at all....

Old 08-19-2008, 07:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Most recoil is actually quite tollerable until you get into large magnums and if it hurts a little there are about a dozen things a shooter can do before installing a brake and tame the recoil quite well. Such as not buying that 6 pound super dooper mega magnumin the first place, or a recoil pad, or a mercury recoil reducer, or proper stock fit.

Muzzle blast and noise will cause flinching far quicker than the actual recoil of a rifle.

I absolutely HATE sitting down at the bench and get all settled in andshooting goodand them someone yahoo with a braked rifle sits next to me and starts banging away. If I can I will get up and move so his sissy shoulder and rifle don't blow out my dang ear drums and I can actually enjoy shooting my rifles. I actually begin to flinch when someone is shooting next to me with a braked rifle. Usually they fire right when mysear is about to break.

Tryshooting next to someone with a braked 300RUM and tell me how pleasent it is to be shooting next to them. I mean really shooting to get the best accuracy out of a rifle. Breathing techniques, slow and steady squeeze ofthe trigger, pulling tight into your shoulder and holding rock steady and then "BANG"........you get the muzzleblast that you can actually feeland deafening noise from that braked 300RUM.

Shooting ranges need seaperate benches for those that want to shoot rifles with brakes so they all can mess upeach othershearing and not mine.

The only guns that need a brake arethose that will actually cause physical harm if you shoot them with out one.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

I see no problem having a muzzlebreak....I have one on my 300 Ultra mag.....yes its a bit louder but any rifle is loud..
It's not a bit louder,it's a lot louder.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sitting at a benchnext to someone that is using a muzzle break and or shooting a semi-auto AR or AK or SKSare not my idea of a pleasant range trip.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

What did the article state?

That they're louder? and put more strain on the scope?

I will never again own a boss/ muzzle brake.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Big Bulls when you said "bang" it reminded me of the movie "My Cousin Vinny", when Melissa said "Bang", when referring to Pesci shooting a little "leaf eating doe with its head in the brook". I thught that was really funny. Tom.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Now if someone has a muzzle brake, there a sissy? I'm sure glad hunting season is close, you guys are starting to sound like a bunch of girls! Maybewhen we start killing chit, everyones panties will unbunch!
Old 08-20-2008, 07:50 AM

I have sat beside someone with a muzzlebreak. It was on a 300RUM.... yes its loud but where ear protection and should solve your issue. I have fired the RUM many times before the break was put on it....I was able to shoot it without issue........Main reason I added the break was to reduce muzzle lift. Recoil never bothered me before and don't expect to start.
I usually have the range to myself when I go so no issue there....and if someone is there I warn them before I start shooting it. Never had a complient or issue.
I have had guys ask me to shoot it and I know for a fact the 3-4 have had breaks put on since then just to make their guns more shootable...
IF YOU WANT A MUZZLEBREAK PUT ONE ON IF NOT DON'T
Maybe ranges need a section for the whiners .....
Old 08-20-2008, 08:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

I usually have the range to myself when I go so no issue there....and if someone is there I warn them before I start shooting it. Never had a complient or issue.
Then you are the exception to the rule.... at least from my experiences.

BTW, I am not whining. Just stating my opinion about brakes. Sorry if I come across as being rude I just hate them, and shooting next to someone with one,that much. I do wear hearing protection and usually plugs and muffs together. IMObrakes are the worst thing to happen to shoulder fired rifles since the inception of the rifle.

I know that they have just as much right to shooot there as I do that's why I just move if I can and not say anything to them.

Quick Reply: Muzzlebrakes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.