HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Could it be a sub-MOA? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/258374-could-sub-moa.html)

SP10 08-18-2008 08:41 AM

Could it be a sub-MOA?

I purchased a new Weatherby Vanguard in .300 Weatherby Magnum just before Weatherby started marketing the Vanguard in sub-MOA. Well, a stroke, from which I have completely recovered, and other factors kept me from really seeing what it could do in the accuracy department. Yesterday I finally got it really dialed in and the last two groups I shot were .33 inches and .37 inches. I understand that Weatherby (actually Howa) test fires each rifle at the factory (for some reason there was no target in the box of my rifle) and the ones that shoot a group within one inch get taken aside and get sub-MOA stamped on them and the price tag increased by several hundred dollars. Is it possible that I was lucky enough to get a Vanguard that would have been a sub-MOA before they started pulling them aside, or can any rifle shoot groups like that, just not as consistently?

Retaks 08-18-2008 09:34 AM

RE: Could it be a sub-MOA?

Any rifle is capible of shooting Sub-MOA. Just alot of them need a little work before they do. You got lucky and got one that dose. Mine shoots just over MOA with Winchester Power Points. Im happy with those groups so i havnt tested into Sub-MOA with it.

bugsNbows 08-18-2008 09:55 AM

Sounds like you got a good one. Congrats, just keep banging away.

oldelkhunter 08-18-2008 06:55 PM

Test targets have always been included with Vanguards even back to the ones I purchased in the 80's. For whatever reason I know of 2 300 weatherby vanguards with the old fashioned synthetic stock that shoot extremely well. I mean extremely well and cannot be pried from their owners hands.

Mountaineer93 08-18-2008 08:12 PM

I would say that you found the ammo that you gun likes to eat.

SP10 08-19-2008 08:42 AM

ORIGINAL: Mountaineer93

I sure hope that is not the case since I can not get that ammo any more. I was shooting Federal 180 grain Nosler boat tails that I was able to buy for $18 for a box of 20 from MidwayUSA about a year ago because that loading was being discontinued by Federal and MidwayUSA was having a clearance sale on it. I still have five boxes left which will last a while since 20 rounds of .300 Weatherby Mag in one session at the range is pretty much the limit for my shoulder. I will try some other brands next time I go to the range and see if I can get equally good results.

oldelkhunter 08-19-2008 08:47 AM

btw When Weatherby makes a gun a SUBMOA they add a B&C stock to the rifle which is about 25-275 if you were to buy one. They should however for a gun that costs that much have a much better factory trigger. The rest of the rifle is beyond solid.

GRIZZLYMAN 08-19-2008 11:01 AM

ORIGINAL: SP10

ORIGINAL: Mountaineer93

I sure hope that is not the case since I can not get that ammo any more. I was shooting Federal 180 grain Nosler boat tails that I was able to buy for $18 for a box of 20 from MidwayUSA about a year ago because that loading was being discontinued by Federal and MidwayUSA was having a clearance sale on it. I still have five boxes left which will last a while since 20 rounds of .300 Weatherby Mag in one session at the range is pretty much the limit for my shoulder. I will try some other brands next time I go to the range and see if I can get equally good results.
I love that round. I have a 300 Wby Sako L691 that loves that ammo, but unfortunately I'm down to my last ten rounds. That Federal loading shoots better than the Weatherby loadings that I, unfortunately, shoot now for target practice.