Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 target turret question >

target turret question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

target turret question

Old 08-13-2008, 12:13 AM
Typical Buck

Default target turret question

as some of yo might know i just bought a .22-250, well i was lookin across the lake with it and after about 100yds the scope gets so blurry you cant see one target, you see 3. so iw ant a scope with target turrets so i dont have to hold over, i dont want the bdc reticle, i want target turrets, but i dont know how they work. is it one of those things where you need to know your cartridge inside and out or is there a general rule of thumb
Old 08-13-2008, 03:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: target turret question

Target turrets replace your turret covers and let you adjust elevation and windage without taking them off. You still have to figure how much to adjust it.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:26 AM

Knowing trajectory, having come-ups taped to the stock,and confirming yardage via laser, is never not a good plan.....

I sight in for 250 yards with most chamberingsand plan nothing more than pasting crosswires out to that point.

Beyond 250 I range it and click it, make the shot, then return the dial tothe 250 yard zero.

The only varience from that I have is with ML'ers, with them I sight in at 100 then have come ups out to 250.

It do help to forgetabout counting clicks, and counting inches, thinking in MOA gets you there quicker.

M1 turrets on a Leupold rock......quick and simple is, as quick and simple does.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

i do like rifle does...my 22-250 is zeroed for 200yds right now...

anything out to 250 and im not clicking...past 250 and i will start clicking up...i got a chart i made that tells me how many clicks for what yardage with my 200yd zero...

you cant skimp on the scope if you wanna click into your yardages...cheap scopes will not track true...what i mean by that is if oyu go 12 clicks up and 8 clicks right then 8 clicks left and 12 clicks down, you should be back to your zero....lesser scopes wont do this...ive even heard some guys having leupolds not track true...mine does...i put a Leupold 6-18x40 VX-II on my 22-250...it tracks true and is clear...ive clicked into my target out to 400yds and made the shot...havent had trouble yet...

i can also adjust the turrets so that when i click all the way down it will stop at my 200yd zero...i havent had time to play with that feature yet...i just remember i clicked up 5 make the shot and click back down 5...

i wish i remembered the website...had it bookmarked on my old laptop...but it was a program that you entered your zero, BC, MV, bullet weight, how much 1 click moves your crosshairs etc and it gave you a chart with yardages and how many clicks you need to click...could even enter for cross winds and get clicks for any wind speed and yardage....i need to find that site again! been away all summer and havent been doing any chuck hunting/target shooting...

Old 08-13-2008, 01:17 PM

Computer generated trajectory charts are a great place to start, but it takes real world shooting to confirm both load and mechanical ability of the scope.

Many variables affect the outcome of the load, stuff that a computer can't compensate for. Only your loading practices and the nuances of your rifle can give you the exact trajectory numbers....

I've a bunch of turreted Leupold scopes, they all track just fine through a box test, andin the field. What they don't do is track exactly the same. Each set of turrets moves the adjustement a fraction of MOA more or less than the others. One scope might dial 1.12" at 100 yards and the next will dial .980". I have exactly one scope that will adjust exactly one MOA per four clicks....

Where folks screw up is relying on a computer chart and trying to apply that to the real world. It'll be close but when you do the math and compound MOA's exponetially with a solid 1" computer adjustment and your scope adjusts more or less than that...it could bea recipe for a miss.

The best thing is to know what your gear is doing, and let it do it. That's the hardest part of driving turrets.

Old 08-13-2008, 03:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

What kind of scope is it???
Old 08-14-2008, 09:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

rifle loony, your 100% correct...just because it says "1 click = 1 inch at 100yd doesnt mean its going to move exzactly 1" and most times it is different...

i cant shoot well enough at 100yds yet to know 100% what its off by for my scope...i know its important at long distance because those fractions of an inch become inches and inches become feet and then you look like a fool....lol

the program i had bookmarked actually had a field you could hand enter for how much movement your scope actually moves 1 click....it was a nice program...i need to find it again...

and your right...without real world practice, its all still just a guess....and if you never shot at 500yds...well...lets just say if you DO hit, its gunna be luck...lol...i found quick that it takes a littttle more than a strong magnifing scope and a drop chart to hit anything at longer ranges...and takes practice....
Old 08-14-2008, 10:42 AM

Factor in a slightly miscalculated yardage, the inherent ability of the barrel or lack of, and a healthy dose of human error and most things computer generated go right out the window. It is however, better than blind stab in the dark per reference material.....

500 yards is only just a little ways past 450.....

500 yards, bipods, 9X glass, skinny barrel, Kevlar McMMountain stock,168 grain TSX's, was shooting this "group" to confirm the drop at that yardage, it's only as hard as you make it.......

Not mine, as mine all go in the trash, but a good representation of what "shooting" might equate too.

Some folks spend a little more time at it than others.

Bottles filled with spent primers, kind of a cool pic I think..............

Old 08-14-2008, 09:04 PM
Fork Horn

If you can tell the difference between .980 and 1" at a hundred yards you're a better shot than most. .125 is an 1/8" and your telling us you can notice .020 at a hundred?? Wind will play with the bullet that much! Heck an 1/8" at a 100 yards is still only 1.25" at a 1000 yards. Granted there has been plenty of times I wish I had a scope with 1/8 mil clicks for 1000 yard matchesbut .020" I have my doubts.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:14 AM
Fork Horn

Agreed RR. A balistic chart is mearly a starting point. Practice Practice Practice. I would never count on a balistics chart putting me in the kill zone or the bull of a target.

Quick Reply: target turret question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.