Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Anyone know if Gander Mountain is going out of business >

Anyone know if Gander Mountain is going out of business

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Anyone know if Gander Mountain is going out of business

Old 08-16-2008, 06:06 PM

Default RE: Anyone know if Gander Mountain is going out of business

I dont like gander for anything except for guns, i dont like there "pro shop" and there clothing sections sucks for people who are normal sized everyhting is super XXXXXXL. but there camping and food processing selection isnt bad either. but cabelas is pretty high in alot of stuff, my basspro has the best deals on camo and that type of stuff.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

The GM I near me is an absolute joke. Their new gun/bow prices are 10-15% higher than other big shops in the area...and their used prices are out ofthis world high.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:35 AM
Spike

The last I knew, GM was owned by David Pratt, ie the billionaire that owns Three Forks Ranch and St Louis Cardinals (part owner I believe). I've hunted Three Forks several times and the last time (2006) I overheard them talking about David purchasing GM. While nobody wants to keep a dead company going, I know the financial backing of GM appears to be solid.

Griz
Old 08-19-2008, 05:12 PM
FA
Fork Horn

Actually, for those of you that are old enough, you will remember GM used to have a mail order business until Cabelas bought it out. Well guess what, GM is just opening up another mail order business. From the way it sounds here, most people feel about GM the same way most people feel about them in this area. We have aDSG and a BPS and the only one anyone likes is BPS. GM is way to expensive on everything they carry. It's cheaper to order out of Cabelas or visit BPS.

http://www.gandermountain.com/?cID=GME0804
Old 08-19-2008, 08:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

They went bankrupt several years back and somehow made it back. The economy sucks right now and people don't buy as much luxury stuff in down turns.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:34 PM

The one here I have been in and out of several times and could not find what I went in the place for so I leave empty handed. The used guns in GM and WV Cabelas were very over priced. I heard a couple of guys around me saythe new gun models weren't but a few bucks more and left the rack.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:37 PM

The one near Little Rock seems to be doing pretty well - various times of the day they have healthy number of shoppers. Now, admittedly, I've never bought a gun from them and don't spend much time in their gun section, so I can't comment on that. I go to a local fella for that.

I know this much: The website they sponsored - OutdoorExpeditions.com hasn't been working for 4 days - for whatever that's worth.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:58 PM

From what I hear GM might be closing their doors. From what I understand, Dick's the largest sporting good dealer in the nation has been profitable 2 out of 7 months this year. Wal-Mart is supposedly cutting 30% of their sporting goods. From what I understand the value of the dollar is killing the sporting goods industry. A lot of products are made overseas where the dollar is now less valuable and contracts are beginning to expire and prices are about to go up and there is less demand.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Used gun prices are high because they are taking the trade in to off set the price coporate set on the new guns. It is just coming back to bite them now. I made a heck of a deal on a Pro Hunter w/ guns that I traded in at GM, I had to look twice at the offer to beleive what they were giving me.