Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Rem. 700 scope mounting issue....please help >

Rem. 700 scope mounting issue....please help

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rem. 700 scope mounting issue....please help

Old 08-11-2008, 02:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default Rem. 700 scope mounting issue....please help

Just purchased a Rem. 700 XCR and called a gunsmith at Gander Mountain about mounting a scope next week.

I've looked at several scopes with 40mm or 44mm bells. The gunsmith at Gander Mountain says he would have to use Leupold medium height rings to mount even the 40mm scope.

I asked a question about this earlier in this forum, and SEVERAL folks said that they have XCR's or other Rem. 700's and were able to use LOW scope rings to mount a 40mm scope.

I was wondering if any of you could post pictures showing the scope mounted with low rings. The gunsmith is telling me that with LOW rings, the bolt handle will hit the eyepiece of the scope when its raised.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Rem. 700 scope mounting issue....please help

Check Leupolds web page it will show what rings will work. I have Leupold low rings onsome rem700's with a 2-7x33mm and have room for more objective dia up front. Also the bolt on a rem 700 will not hit any leupold oculer bell with there low rings. And my scopesare mountedway forward.

Get the real hieght measurements one companys low ring is anothers medium. And it veries with different ring model/types too
Old 08-11-2008, 03:22 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks TJEN. The gunsmith is more concerned about clearance at the bolt and the eyepiece of the scope instead of the objective and barrel.

I'll get him to actually try the low rings instead of just guessing at it.

Any pictures you folks may have showing Leupold Low rings with no clearance issues when the bolt is lifted would be welcomed so I can print it off and show it to the gunsmith
Old 08-11-2008, 04:51 PM
Fork Horn

Thats a good point RR...

I've just always been told that its best to mount the scope as low as possible.

Still looking for anyone who could postapicture so I can show the Gander Mountain gunsmith
Old 08-11-2008, 07:17 PM
Fork Horn

You sure do use Gander Mountain and Gunsmith a lot in the same sentence. I'm sure Gander Mountain might have a gunsmith here and there but I would prefer to take it to a real Gunsmith. You know, like someone that has their own shop withmaybe a Lathe and a Milling Machine!I think you might be better of in the long run.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:13 PM

It will make a difference on what scope you have. I have a 700 BDL with the leupold low rings and my bolt handle clears my scope by about 1 millimeter. You can't make it hit the scope, but you couldn't get much closer (because there's a small screw where mine is). I have a Burris Fullfield II scope, which has a bigger eyepiece than some, but not as big as others. I can definitely see where you would have problems with some brands.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had to use med on my 700
Old 08-11-2008, 10:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, I've always used med. rings with Leupolds on my 700's. RR has a good point about comfortable cheek weld.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:41 AM

Talley LW lowsare just the right height to cleareye pieces............
Old 08-12-2008, 08:02 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all the replies.

Could anyone using Leupold or Tally low mounts post a close up picture of your 700 with the bolt lifted to show clearance between the bolt and eyepiece of your scope?

Quick Reply: Rem. 700 scope mounting issue....please help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.